Who's most gullible online and why? Secrets from scam world revealed

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Interesting. I suppose older folks might be more cautious. I know my exgirlfriend had a virus and she hadn't even realized it. She wasn't exactly uneducated but still.

I think that while she obviously grew up with computers she didn't actually know a lot about them. Typical user with just a browser and stuff for school and some outdated AV. So while she might know how to use Facebook and understands how webpages are typically laid out she doesn't get that your AV needs to stay up to date etc.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Complacency plays a big part in a lot of things, this included. Too many just don't really care all that much. It's like I've said before, if they can access what they want to, and nothing gets in their way, they're happy. Make it harder for them to do something, and they get unhappy real fast. Crap, I'm like that, and I care about security.

I'm not all that surprised at the results of survey though. With the economy as it is in most of the world, lots of people are looking for quick, easy money. Plus, your average elderly person isn't going to start jumping up and down in excitement over a free iPod "if you just click here!". You know?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

They are?
    I don't see that happening.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lmao :D If you hadn't posted, I would have never caught the screwup. I meant "isn't"..gonna fix that real quick!

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I kinda thought that might be the case, but one can never be sure. ;)

7. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

BUNK!

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh? Care to elaborate on why you think it's ridiculous?

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

He probably thinks he's getting a free iPod.:rolleyes:

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wonder if the poster misread it, lol.

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

And there was me thinking you were being ironic. ;)

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Nope, just one of my "herp derp" moments :D

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Maybe she got infected by you :D Lucky she only had a Virus & not a nasty RK etc !

Typical teenager ! I hope you "educated" her ;)

14. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Of the ones I deal with, the worst group is those in their late 20s to late 30s, low income, low education, who regard a PC as a toy, a platform for games, and a way to talk to "stars" etc. They fall for the same things over and over. I can't get it through their heads that they can't click on everything they see on Facebook. Last week I'd finished cleaning their PC again and installed a new game for them. The very same evening they picked it up, got a call regarding problems on one user account. Somehow the file association for executables was altered. The AV wouldn't start, the browsers desktop shortcut wouldn't work, etc. They compromised it in less than 3 hours, again.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's when I take it away from them and tell them they can use it again when they get older, lol.

16. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If it was mine, it would already be done. I'm ready to tell them I'm done with it.

17. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Hi. My name is Brandi and I'm a recovering gullible complacent.

LOL

Seriously though, it wasn't long ago that I didn't have the slightest clue or interest about security on line. I can't speak for the rest of the gullible, but for me it was because computers were completely mysterious and intimidating. If I had a suspicion about some file, I might google it. But I had no idea how to filter the real results from the bogus ones. Understanding computers was this insurmountable cliff & I had no idea where to start climbing. So I can see how people either become suspicious of everything, or they say ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ it and click wherever they want.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.