Whoops..!?!? Updating overstressed???

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Ticon65, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ticon65

Ticon65 Registered Member

Hello everyone;) ,

Althow i'm a newbie on this*puppy* forum (and my English is lowsy), I would like to post this topic.
    First i'd like to state that i am very happy with Ewido. I feel save using it:thumb: .

The last few weeks Ewido seemed to be overstressed concerning the updateso_O . I receive an update every 5-minutes!!! (the same everytime).
    This is beginning to bother me, because i can't get my work done waiting the updates to end:'( .
    Is it an option to re-install Ewido:blink: ?

I hope you can give me some idea's:thumb:

Kind regards,

Ticon65;)

2. steveke

steveke Registered Member

I have not seen your problem here before-and I am no expert-the only suggestion I can make is, before you uninstall & reinstall, you might want to try Ewido's Fix Update tool.

http://www.ewido.net/en/support/?AID=26

This tool empties your signature files.. I would also suggest downloading and saving to desktop the full database (below), so you can uninstall and reinstall the signatures offline.

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/

Hope it helps.

I am also wondering if you missed any updates for an extended period recently. There was a complete redoing of the database around Feb 7th in updates.

3. Ticon65

Thanks for your reply:)

It did not solve the problem thow:doubt: .
    Ewido keeps updating it's database every 7-minutes. I'll keep trying Ewido (as a paying single user) for the time being, but for now I am getting sceptical to get a licence for my skool (53 workstations).

Greetings and again, thanks for youre response:thumb: .

Ticon65;)

4. steveke

Sorry to hear that. You should contact Ewido at support@ewido.net.

In the meantime-have you disabled "automatic updates"-on the status screen, if you see automatic updates is enabled, you should click on it and it will be inactive. At least this might stop the constant updating.

This may also be due to some interaction with other anti-malware-they do have a compatibility list. My problem was that I had to disable then enable automatic update for it to work-turns out it was a conflict with Spysweeper that has been resolved.

I wish you luck-these things can be aggravating. But Ewido was very quick to respond to me when I wrote them.

5. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Does the ewido guard restart itself after the update?

6. Ticon65

Hi Peter,

No, Ewido acts like it's a regular update (but does this every 6 or so minutes) and does not restart itself.
    I've used the update-patch from the Ewido-site, but unfortunatly this didn't help. Even when during a simple reaction like this one I have to wait for Ewido. I just saw that the update is 5046kb in size, and the message "update succesfully" appearing when finished.

I hope there is a solution for this problem because it is fairly impossible to get any work done.

Thanks i.a. for your responce (responseo_O ?).

Ticon65

7. steveke

Ticon65

It looks like you are getting the entire database. This struck a memory of another thread I saw on download problems.

If you got to My Computer/program files/ewido anti-malware/signatures-what type of file do you see? They should be DAT files.

Also-did you disable Automatic Updates on the status screen?

8. Ticon65

Hi Steveke,

Indeed it are Dat-files, and there are a whole lot! http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1346/screenhunter0025iv.jpg

Of course it's easy to disable the 'auto update' function, but that won't solve the problem, one of the reasons that I'm a paying user is this function.

I really appreciate all your responses and I am sure there will be a solution for this problem.
    Next I could do is to remove Ewido from my system and then re-install it. But, wait, if this solves the problem we will never find out what caused it.
    Because I still think Ewido is a great program, I will wait for further ideas /solutions.

If Ewido has to respond, to her clients (who might encounter the same problem) with the words..."just reinstall our product", it would sound rather amateuristic I'd guess.

Greetings,

Ticon65

9. steveke

Ticon65

That is the correct number of DAT files. The reason I say to temporarily turn off autoupdate is because I think Ewido is not recognizing those files for some reason and is continually going to update the whole database. This was just to stop the problem temporarily.

Just one more thing-If you go to start/controlpanel/folder options-there will be a popup with the tab "file types" -click on file types-scan down registered file types until you see DAT-highlight this-in details near the bottom of the popup it will show what program is used to open DAT files-it should be notepad-if it is not(make a note of name) you should click change and change to notepad-it probably would be a good idea to empty signatures with the cleaner and then restart computer-then try to load signatures.

If it is notepad-I am out of ideas.

Good luck.

10. Ticon65

For now,

Thanks Steveke and Peter, for your effort to sovlve the problem concerning the updates of Ewido.

I think it is best to de-instal (remove) Ewido, en wait fot a couple of days before installing Ewido.

Althow, this seems to be rather hard, I thrust Ewido to reitniate my licens afther un-installing.

Greetings and thanks,

Ticon65

11. Ticon65

Hello everyone,
    Today I've de-installed Ewido to solve the above problems:cautious: .
    The "overstressing" seems to be gone:shifty: .
    For now, the support and my licence seem to be updated;).

I feel realy bad, not to be able to solve this problem, but on the other hand:blink: for now, Ewido works as aspected!

Feel free, to place your comments:cool:

Greetings,

Ticon65:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.