Who'd be interested in running a Tor server?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by spy1, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

As you can see by the screenshot, I've got a Tor server running here on my WinXP Pro system. I'm not going to say it was a piece of cake to get it up and running consistently - but I will say that now that it's done I'm more than happy with it, and to be providing some of my bandwidth.

You probably know that the main reason Tor (or any other anonymous server) causes your Internet to slow to a crawl is because there aren't enough servers to handle the load.

So my question is: How many of you would like to try to set up your own Tor server? I'm asking this primarily of XP Pro users w/cable modem or better access to the Internet (since that's what I've got).

Given the world-wide climate of suppression of information-exchange (and a penchant by numerous governments' to stick their noses where they don't belong) - if there are enough people interested - I'd be glad to share my experiences in getting a successful server going (and maybe help you get one going on your machine, too, if possible).

I'm not going to be able to do it all myself - anyone's help who is already running a Tor server on whatever OS or type-of-connection would also be very much appreciated - and I need indications of such interest to help if you respond to this thread.

Having said all that, I'll give it about 48 hours for people to respond. You might want to go read this: http://tor.eff.org/ (and start delving into all the links included in that page) if you're un-familiar with Tor, or don't really know whether you want to mess with it or not.

Note: Right now, I don't use my Tor server for any of my own browsers - any and all discussion would be about setting up and running a server - period.
    Let me know. Pete :cool:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.