Who thinks Windows 7 will be the next XP?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Mar 16, 2012.

?

How long will Windows 7 Live?

1. It will last at least another 6-7 years

52.2%
  2. It will last another 4-5 years

32.2%
  3. It will last another 1-2 years then W8 will be the dominant OS

6.7%
  4. Windows 8 will become the next best OS within a few months of its release

8.9%
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Until MS will not learn from its mistakes in 8, 7 will last forever. But as the poor sales of 8 will reveal, I expect MS to realese SP fixing 8 for desktop users.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if this poll is any indication there aren't too many fans of the new OS ;)

3. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I don't think Microsoft needs fans here. I bet the average user won't care if they'll get W7 or W8 with or without Metro UI.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I've agree with you in that......I mean it wouldn't matter whether my new pc comes with w7 or w8.....and average user rarely change(upgrade) system......

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm still on XP, mainly because my antique system doesn't have a hope in hell of running 7, and it works quite well for me. I imagine the system will probably expire before XP support does, and I'll get a new system with whatever the current OS is.

Assuming it's 8 by then, from what I'm hearing about that OS hopefully MS will do the same as they did with Vista, permit dealers to "downgrade" the installation to the more popular (and probably better) previous version, 7.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I think you'd be surprised on the low specs that Windows 7 can actually run on, Windows 8 will take that even further.

7. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

Windows 7 will be the next XP

And Windows 8 will be the next ME.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I liked IE8. I'm not sure what that says about me, but I did.

9. russland

russland Registered Member

I believe that W7 has the potential to become the next windows XP at least in the commercial area. Only time will tell how well it will fare with consumers. As I recall I recently read that 45% of windows users were still using WXP?

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Is that figure global or peculiar to a specific country?

11. Daveski17

It was an improvement on IE7, that's for sure.

12. Daveski17

I've got a feeling that Win 8 is going to be a bit like Marmite/Vegemite. You'll either love it or hate it. Those who love it will use it, those who hate it will stick with Win 7 or migrate to something like Ubuntu.

There will come a time when you will only be able to buy (Windows) computers with Win 8 pre-installed anyway I should imagine.

I think that the Linux distros may benefit from this.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You've got to think of the majority when making such statements, Dave. The majority consists of users who listen to the Best Buy salesman (or whatever big box electronics store), and think a version higher means better. Linux can't and won't catch on with that crowd, and they are exactly the crowd Linux needs to become anywhere near ready to take on Windows desktops.

Windows 8 is inferior to 7 in my own opinion. However, outside of the business world, it's going to catch on simply because that is what the stores will stock.

14. Daveski17

Well, I was thinking more specifically of computer nerds hobbyists like us here on Wilders LOL. Obviously most people purchasing new hardware will accept what's running on it. In the UK we have a saying about Marmite (a yeast extract spread) that you either love it or hate it. It seems to split people 50/50. Win 8, from what I have deduced from reading comments here & elsewhere seems to be doing just that. Win 7 seemed universally liked, XP fans appeared to like it & Vista users found it familiar yet better. It seems as many people are horrified or disappointed with Win 8 as think it's downright marvellous. I was thinking of someone with a bit of computer knowledge, who will potentially buy a new laptop in the future, & dislikes Win 8 so much that they will dual-boot with Ubuntu or something as their default OS.

I haven't tried it yet, for all I know I'll love it. Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye on Ubuntu releases.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure Win 8 can be wiped clean and a Linux distro put in its place. That's exactly what I plan to do, should I find myself needing a replacement or additional system.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

ROFL :D

I know theres tons of speculation circulating around the anticipation of how consumers, users, and businesses are going to view Win 8's debut. But the analogy mentioned above is not really so far fetched seeing as just Metro alone already has the majority cringing with frustrations.

17. Daveski17

I think a dual-boot would suffice. It would irk me somewhat to have to wipe Win 8 after spending the money on it. We pay much more for Windows in the UK than in the US by comparison, I think. Although, if I have a new box custom built, I can see me specifying that only Linux is installed (probably Ubuntu) & is compatible with my router WiFi. That would save me a bit not to have Windows at all! In fact, I wouldn't probably need fantastic amounts of RAM & CPU. Which could mean the hardware could be a lot cheaper as well, even 64 bit.

If Win 8 does prove annoying & problematical for many Windows users, I still think some of the more user-friendly distros could benefit. In Europe there is a growing trend with some organisations (including government & law enforcement) to slowly migrate towards Ubuntu particularly. As more people become familiar with Ubuntu, I can see many seeing it as a cheaper, possibly easier to use, & a viable alternative to Windows.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  18. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I would have to say it will last as least as long as XP in an enterprise environment, especially since Windows 7 is just starting to overtake XP in market share, and if the economy tanks again, there is no way companies are going to shell out money for a new OS that may be less productive.

Oh wait, I can see it now, a room full of people touching their screens and waving their arms for 8 hours. :rolleyes:

19. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Looks more like Microsoft BOB to me.

20. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Agree. Anyway I voted: " It - 7 - will last at least another 6-7 year "

21. Daveski17

I think that someone should email MS & explain the truth to them about touchscreen monitors. ;)

22. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

The point is, that MS is no longer interested in desktop OS, mobile is on the rise. -http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23398412

-http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57406190-64/windows-pcs-to-decline-as-android-apple-devices-rise/?tag=cnetRiver

23. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Do you think that MS will take care users's likes ?

24. Daveski17

Well, I was being a tad ironic. I think if they have any sense of reality they will re-think the whole idea. I don't see why they can't release a desktop & a tablet version. The versions could be similar, have some commonality but be different enough to please desktop users & tablet use. It's not like M$ doesn't make enough money is it? Or is it?

25. Daveski17

I think in Scotland they have a third legal outcome of 'Not Proven' (as well as Guilty or Innocent).

The case for the demise of the desktop is definitely 'not proven' by any means. Ubuntu should take advantage of Mickeysoft's blunder in this respect. I don't care how wonderful (or not) Win 8 is, I am not even remotely interested in upgrading to it. Especially on my 64 bit machine which is more or less only 14 months old. I'm still breaking it in a little. Win 7 is perfectly fine & I'm looking forward to the next service pack. As long as the machine is working I can't see me upgrading to 8 & if it lasts longer than the support for 7 I will be looking at Win 9, 10 or Ubuntu.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.