Who thinks Windows 7 will be the next XP?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Mar 16, 2012.

?

How long will Windows 7 Live?

1. It will last at least another 6-7 years

52.2%
  2. It will last another 4-5 years

32.2%
  3. It will last another 1-2 years then W8 will be the dominant OS

6.7%
  4. Windows 8 will become the next best OS within a few months of its release

8.9%
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

XP was so successful that even after so many years of being released, many people still use it.

With the recent Windows 8 Beta released which is a major disaster and failure IMHO with its crappy interface and Microsoft kind of forcing consumers to use an interface designed for tablets on their home PCs and notebooks, I myself will be skipping the whole OS entirely..... and I really feel that 7 is a very solid OS and probably with another service pack, will be perfect.

What do you guys think? How long will 7 live? Will Windows 8 take over? Or will 7 be dominant for many years to come like XP was?

2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

It will probably live as much as XP but I don't think Microsoft will let it to reach the maximum share market XP had.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

I think Win 7 will be with us for a long time, but so will Win 8 when it finds its target audience and proper platform. I say this because I have already tried the hybrid PC/tablet experience with an all-in-one and can attest that the format is limited, bulky, and not really good at being a tablet per se.

If Microsoft can go whole hog on a Win tablet that exceeds the experience of an iPad or Android tablet - Win 8 will succeed. If not, well your guess is as good as mine...

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It will be the next XP because people HATE change. But it won't last as long as XP, because Microsoft broke their 3 year release cycle back then, which is now (apparently) restored. Unless Windows 9 flops which I doubt, it will mainly be learning from the mistakes they made which will make it a more solid product. You can never make drastic changes and get it right first time.

Windows 7 was 2009, Windows 9 will be 2015, so I vote 6-7 years.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I think it'll take win 10 to beat xp in the mamoth time lapse.....

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I voted 4-5 years to be conservative, but really, I think Windows 7 will probably be around longer than that. And I believe it will dominate for the rest of this decade.... Windows 8 is so different that it may take quite some time for people to come around and accept it.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I also voted 4-5 yrs,but I hope its supported and lives on for many many more yrs because I am sure not going over to Windows 8.

8. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Athough Win7 is an excellent OS imho it will never be another WinXP, and neither will Win8. XP became the most popular and accepted version of Windows ever! XP is over 10 years old and it's still more popular than any other Windows version (perhaps that's due in part to lots of folks still using older PCs that simply won't support Win7)...

...in any case, for that reason I couldn't make a choice in your poll.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

window xp extended it support till 08/04/2014

so till 2014 XP = No 1

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173

due to recession and other reasons people switching to free OS like linux ......etc so i guess microsoft will play safe but not being too pushy on user ;)

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Probably. XP support is ending soon so if companies are upgrading they'll be upgrading to 7 as it's the logical one to move to. I don't see companies adapting well to 8 except for niche businesses that are progressive about work tablets etc.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Companies upgrading to Windows 7? I wish . . .

I used to work in a company where we had over 1k computers, then they decided to upgrade like 1/3 of all the computers to newer ones, all of them came with Windows 7 Pre installed and guess what, they installed XP because our software was not compatible with Windows 7 and on top of that force us to use IE 8 which totally S**KS.

13. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

14. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Of course and I'm still loving XP and it still works fine.

Maybe I'll check out before XP does.:)

15. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I had a very hard time adapting to Windows 7 and its superbar, the way to share folders (bit more complicated than XP which is why I disable the stupid Home Group and manage the permissions myself), but now I am so used to Windows 7 finally.

Windows 8.........used it for 10 mins then I formatted my computer and installed 7 again! Never gonna try that POS OS again!

How can anyone use an OS for tablets on a notebook/PC? Microsoft really fuxored up with this one...

Not having a desktop with Computer, recycle bin, etc? No thanks! Ill have a Cheese burger with fries please :cool:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

For that same reason i kinda hate Windows 8 also, because by default they enable an UI for Tablets/TouchScreens on a desktop?
    What's going on in Microsoft developers minds . . .
    Luckily we still have the desktop mode :thumb:

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

+1 :D

18. guest

guest Guest

I'll bet in the instant success of Windows 8. So far, only minor valid complaints (besides the usual/expected noise from nostalgic crybabies).

Also, most of the normal complainers seem to be still bad informed about W8's particularities. This will probably change in the coming months.

19. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Who thinks Windows 7 will be the next XP?

It stands a very good chance. I'm pretty sure 7 will be around for at least another 7 years.

20. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Whether the complains are valid or not doesn't really matter to the people complaining, and a lot of people are.

I don't see 8 catching on too much. They'll release 9 with some minor improvements and it will be hailed as the greatest Windows OS, just like they did with 7.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I agree with most of the concensus expressed so far. And with the exception of Coldm00n's valid review/possiblities of 8, i've stubbornly held on to XP only because security & customization apps greatly improved XP even better then Vista at the time. As soon as i was settled into a long stay with XP then up popped Windows 7, yes a definite improvement in some ways, maybe not others, but sensing the now predictable rashness/hastiness of the Microsoft Industry routine, i thought why not wait out past BOTH vista & Win 7.

Well, now that time is come with the approach of new Windows 8. And therein lies somewhat of a dilema for this end user. Windows 8 will no doubt become yet another experimental model to forward the cause of a Windows 9, and that number is going to have to be my true target O/S i think.

So question for me (and no doubt other XP'ers) is, go ahead and transition right into 8 when it does finally get officially released, "or" since XP software will no doubt be dispersed about everywhere quickly in an effort to clear the registers/stores of what will be considered (if not already so) yet another defunct Microsoft O/S like 98 was in a freeware frenzy, emphatically cling yet again to XP untill Windows 9.

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Without wishing to start an argument, I find that a bit difficult to believe about Vista.

Or plan 'B', run out & get a copy of 7 before they're all gone. ;)

23. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I'm running Win XP on 2 of my computers and love it! I wish they would extend the support for XP. :thumb:
    My wife runs Win 7 and I'll use her computer to learn how to run Win 7. (Learned a lot about 7)
    From what I read about Win 8, you could keep it! :thumbd:

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I agree. This seems most likely.....

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

There are large companies still using Windows 2000 Professional without any problems I'm told. Nothing will change to old OSs even when official support stops, one might argue there will be more system vulnerabilities, theoretically true in practice nothing will happen if the system is protected.

I have so far XP and Vista on several working computers, I like them all, and as far as I'm concerned in order to have the state of the art in computer technology, change is absolutely necessary. MS is accelerating its release cycle as technologies associated with computers are also accelerating. If someone prefers one OS to another it is purely personal taste, but the latest OS and hardware from a technological point of view are always the best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.