Who says safe computing is a pipe dream?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ZDNet

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Ron, That is a very good article. As usual, he stirs things up a little. All those great ideas and then he tells you to keep your password in your wallet! :eek:

3. j2callie

j2callie Registered Member

What about this part?

If you must use Windows, set up Automatic Update so that you automatically receive security patches. And delete the files "command.com" and "cmd.exe."

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Personally, I think that little gem of advice is a bit too casually offered. Does it have some merit? Sure, but maybe a qualifier on the specific OS being used is in order and there are probably better ways to achieve this end. Bits of sloppy advice mixed with some decent suggestions when you get down to it.

Blue

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

There are comments from other users on that statement on the bottom of linked page.

Delete is the largest word in Windows and if used in the wrong way can make your computing life miserable.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Indeed, I would rather rename the files, either to somethingelse.com/.exe or command/cmd.old... simply deleting is just asking for trouble.

The article is great, however, I needed something just like this to give to someone that's new to the idea of computer security, thanks ronjor!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.