Who Knows Which Kaspersky (Original or Clone) is Lightest?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Friar, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friar

Friar Registered Member

For those with experience, please provide your opinion as to which antivirus software using Kaspersky definitions (Kaspersky itself or one which uses a KAV engine) is lightest.

I would like to trial the lightest version, configuration available.

All tests show Kaspersky has the highest detection rates. However, I also read it can slow down a computer. I have little patience for system drag from antivirus software.

So I'm looking to try the applicable software with the least drag - least use of the CPU.

If it matters, my machine is a newer pentium with 512 of ram.

Thanks in advance,

Friar

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

From what I have seen, granted not that much but, from my experiences it has been GData AVK Pro. HTH

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just plain Kaspersky 5.0.227 runs very light. Nothing like the earlier versions

bigc

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Don't believe everything you read!
    Agree with bigc, why use one of its clones when you can use the original? Don't accept the default settings and apply some tweaks and KAV 5 potentially will be able to run quite happily on most systems.

I have installed KAV 5 Personal as a primary scanner on a much lower spec computer than yours. This AV has a relatively moderate memory imprint with two running processes taking up 9-15 MB RAM, and this has had very little effect on system performance on this ancient test computer; 400MHz, 192MB RAM.

At least you could trial this version.

Some tweaks can be found HERE

Once tweaked, KAV 5, IME, runs even lighter than AVP(KAV) 3.5 ;)

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

NOD32.
    Even lighter and better.

6. tBB

tBB Registered Member

While I agree at least on 'lighter' NOD32 doesn't use the KAV engine or signatures at all and I guess that's what he asked for. I'd say plain KAV5 too.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I would say - GDATA AVK or KAV 5.0 :)

8. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

The latest Kaspersky (227)is actually quite light and not a resource hog I had expected from my past experience with it. Can't remember which version I had installed but it took 6 hours to scan my 1.7AGhz Intel (768 MB RAM) using that version. Now using the latest version, it takes an hour or less. (Then again maybe it was because I had installed a warez XP Pro for the fun of it. Have repented :))

However, real-time protection still can be a pain, but not as bad as I recall. Looking to get a licence though there have been some forumers who really suggest Dr Web. Hmm, then again not coz' my current email host-er uses Dr Web.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the actaul kav ran ighter than most of its counterparts. still a hog to me though and still leaves ads behind so off it goes. maybe ill try 6 when it comes not supposed to use ads or istreams. well see then i use nod now and am looking into arcavir and dr web.

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Kaspersky 5.0.227 is light on my system, another that i've tried, that felt light was AVK 2005.

11. Diver

Diver Registered Member

KAV 5 is "da bomb".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.