Who killed teh NOD32?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niels

Niels Registered Member

The HIPS module that was introduced in version 5 , added also an additional security layer in comparison with version 4. So Eset did implement a new function. Also gamer mode was included in version 5, such as parental control, ESET Grid cloud. It's absolutely normal that you will have slowdowns when you enable advanced heuristics or scan inside archives, run time packers but that doesn't apply only to Eset but any other security product when you configure the software to gain maximum security.

Also you can't compare an internet security suite with just an anti-virus. For the simple fact that in a suite there are more modules and drivers loaded for example: network filter driver (firewall), anti-spam, parental-control...
    While the free or paid antiviruses don't have those additional modules. So it's clear that only an antivirus will always win from a security product.

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

The average user will not use the HIPS. I am unaware that Eset is developing the automatic mode over time.

3. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I agree with you, but I was just saying that there were changes between version 4 and 5. The HIPS module is a good prevention tool against 0 day threats. But indeed you need to know if a change is legit or not.

4. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Oh, now i understand why Eset is so fast :) Thanks for the explanation

5. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

I just remember the times when people used to use NOD32 2.7 and Outpost.
    Good times.
    At that time, there was only a few AV. Today you have a loot to choose from. And a few are free.
    Some people still using the AV as well. It just work ok despite the AV tests etc.

Regards.

6. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Aside from a noticeable yet acceptable slow-down during boot time I can hardly feel any impact on performance. Maybe it is a bit slower than v.2.7, but still runs fine on my 5-year-old Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM PC.

I like the way they keep the GUI simple, how it let me choose whether to scan flash drive on insertion (instead of automatically and blindly scan the poor drive over and over again) and how the default action on detection is blocking and asking the user what to do with the risk.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

man that combo simply was awesome back then... i ran the nod/outpost combo and it was able to basically stop everything.

as far as eset today i agree they seemed to have veered off the path they used to walk but not by that much, i also agree the old nod32 v2 was and still is probably my favorite av. v6rc is very stable for me and i have no issues at all no ram issues it runs and runs awesome. and yes king is correct about the ram usage.

now to the point of tests and reviews. i LIKE to read them i like to see them being tested and to me a company that lets avc or others test their products i have more respect for than those that dont. for me personally at least it shows they are not afraid on the results and what will be posted about their product, HOWEVER i do not base what programs i use on them. i do take them into some consideration but for me the best test is real world use. and eset for me recently did let one thing through but i cant hold that over them as no av is going to catch 100% of things and i do a lot of testing of av's so i do visit malware sites to get those kinds of programs to use to test av's for my own personal use.

now i have used eset back since nod32 v1 WAYYYYY back in the day and this would only be the second time i had a slipped through infection in all those years. for me thats a stellar track record and yes i would have loved not to get hit with those 2 but in comparison ive used a lot of other av's and had constant infections while using them. my point is i base what i use for my own personal pc's that are used for everyday things like purchases and banking etc on real world use. and for me eset has been stellar. i always actually see it doing its job and always check my drives with additional scanners and never find threats. i dont want to be long winded here but my point overall is testing is fine and its great to see the results and read them but take them with what they are. i ask that during your time using eset have you constantly been infected? have you been at all? how often etc..that is the only true way to know if a av does its job well imo. heck id love to see eset score a perfect 100% or maybe a 99.9% every test of course i would be happy because its my primary av of choice along with avast and avira coming in close seconds; but i know thats probably not going to happen. so to end my sort of rant here is why all the bashing of products based on these tests i see the op posting threads like this about all different software here and i have seen it posted on a lot of other places like the jv16 thing. if you want to know how well a av really does USE IT, dont just read av-c and say ewww ill never use that ever in my life cause it just sucks. some av's do simply suck and ill admit that but look at tests to see where a certain av has improved or slid off track a bit or see maybe where thay have a weekness in a certain area. ill end my sort of rant here.

8. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I like the ESET products. You should be fine with NOD32. No AV will catch everything we all know that. Pick any AV you want, fact is you'll get bitten sooner or later anyway if you use an AV as your first and/or only line of defence.

9. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

ESET still holds the record number of VirusBulletin's awards AND AV-Comparatives's proactive awards.

I think they keep the highest quality yet.

10. carat

carat Guest

Yes, but they got the awards from 1990 to 2000. :D Nowadays even free AV are better than NOD32 but I really hope the next version will be great again! :)

11. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

very true

12. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

I mean no disrespect, but saying that are better it mean it has to be better on each on every aspect. And I seriously doubt it. :rolleyes:
    Using any "respectable" AV has its pros and cons. Even free.

Thanks.-

13. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

I agree. If you have multiple lines of defence on a computer then you can pick any AV and be safe.

I've used NOD32 in the past and yes I don't notice any performance hit back then but then again new computers nowadays come with at least 4GB of RAM as standard so most people won't notice any performance hit with any AV now.

The main reason I don't want to use NOD32 lately is because it is expensive in comparison to its competitors. If they dropped the price to maybe $20-30 for 3 users a year I'd consider it.

Charging $90 to protect 3 users (ESET Smart Security) for 1 year is fairly excessive.

14. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Watching the various tests over the last several years I've come away with the impression that Nod32 is a steady performer in the top tier in just about all of the categories at AVC, especially with proactive detection. There's only a few that consistently over the last few years score high (in context) proactively, and it's one of them. Except for a few hiccups, it's usually had low fp and high detection, as well as real good performance.

It's not as dominant as it once was, but still solid. With that said, I can't speak from personal experience as of late, because I haven't used it since V4.

15. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

But its the best, so they charge more :rolleyes:

16. manak

manak Registered Member

ESET NOD32 Antivirus is still solid as signature based traditional Antivirus and that is all.
    There are better free/paid products in the market and All they are focusing on small impact on PC.
    Norton, Avast, AVG, Avira, MSE...etc they are not heavy.

These days ESET does not perform well in the tests by AV-Test. So so protection and Low repair score.
    What about AV-Comparatives? ESET is good and other vendors' product does perform better than ESET.

I was looked forward to ESET's HIPS in version 5 for zero day threat. I thought that ESET made a right decision to add this additional protective layer.
    Eventually I was very disappointed. ESET HIPS automatic mode is useless and we know that average users don't use interactive mode.
    Even if you set up interactive mode, ESET HIPS does not perform well. Kaspersky HIPS and Comodo HIPS are way better than
    ESET HIPS. (usability and prevention)

What is ESET's big feature of next version? Advanced Exploit Prevention system?(of course I know nod32 can catch Exploits), Safe Online banking? Sand box?
    They are going to add Anti-Theft (Device tracking feature).

17. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

hahaha,
    First, the test series began in 1998
    second, you are very creative, but ESET failed just 3 times in the history of VB ;)

18. zfactor

which is why i NEVER buy a av from their own site. i got all my 3pc 1 year lic's for under 20$ from retail boxed versions. i always say to buy retail boxes and to watch for sales because like newegg for instance runs eset on sale usually once a month. but it seems most people dont listen and still buy it from eset directly and pay a ridiculous price. every av company is this way. even avg you can find 3pc 1 year lic right now for 15$ if you know where to look and yes its legit. bitdefender for like 10$ etc...

which is why it baffles me why people pay those prices like to renew from a company. i see people paying the 60$ or whatever for norton all the time.. whyo_O you can easily find norton under 20$ and many times free if you are willing to do a rebate

sorry /end rant

just hits a sore spot with me just not sure why people spend all that extra money when there are deals out there like these...

19. zfactor

please know im not trying to be the eset defender here but many people like myself DONT WANT all that extra junk with the program. i want a light simple av with great detection thats all. i know many who feel the same way. i hope they DONT start adding all the extra junk to ess. also a lot of people hate using hips. i can not sell a hips based av to just anyone. they have to have a pretty good idea of whats good and bad and whats going on. the average user HATES hips with a passion trust me i deal with them every day and get told that specific thing. i can not begin to tell you how many times i have been called on to switch out peoples av's because they cant stand the pop ups. they want something simple without pop ups that doesnt bother them, please know im not speaking of most here at wilders but the average user. also not just defending eset here but all av's that are light simple and easy to use.

20. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Are there any places that sell retail boxed versions of Nod32 fairly cheap outside of the U.S?

I think newegg has shipping only inside the U.S.

21. zfactor

what about amazon.uk?? do they ship to you? the key with nod/ess is to wait till v6 is officially released then the retail v5's will drop way down in price. this is what i did with v4's when v5 came out. since with eset you can use a v3,4,5,etc to install the newest one as do most other companies also. with avg 2013 just coming out i grabbed 10 lic's for 2012 version each for 3pc's for 1 year for 14.99. every year i buy around the same time for my own systems this way to get the best deals. in fact a friend of mine just bought a norton 2009 boxed retail version off ebay for 7$ for 5pc's and the lic key is still good so he just installed 2013 on 5pc's for 7$...newegg does run the specials almost every month but if you wait till newest version is release you get the killer deals which should be coming soon hopefully for v6 eset. and i just saw avg 2012 4pc 2 year lic's on amazon.uk for like 23$

22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Are they still coding it in assembly? It's not easy to find good ASM programmers these days.....

23. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Eset is the only AV program that i have paid for in the past 7-8 years.
    ram usage is highly inappropriate way of defining how slow an AV might run, RAM's being plentiful these days i tihnk it should be more related to I/O reads and CPU consumption,and on AV-Comparatives performance test if you read it carefully eset always comes on top.
    AV-Comparatives does a more comprehensive job of it,in real world i care if my PC boots slowly or files copy slowy due to an AV,i dont care about idle time memory usage or CPU usage.
    and i also saw on this forum a comphrensive way to set-up eset version 3 which is applicable for version 4 and mostly for version 5 excluding hips,which makes the detection of eset top notch !
    In all these years i have never considered another AV product which speaks highly of ESET.

24. carat

carat Guest

Thank you taxinon, I think ESET should offer a free version to improve their cloud technology. Then ESET will be back with very good results, what do you mean guys? :)

25. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

From my pov they are really slow on development....When i used eset v5 it was very light on the system and i have never run into a problem with eset ever.

I think the fact is eset is still running at good speed, but probably others got faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.