Who do you trust?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Ice_Czar, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I trust my mommy, my daddy, .. :D

Anyways, I really do see a general shift among people towards alternate Operating Systems. It offers a great deal of freedom compared to the continuing restrictions in Windows. Also, development moves much faster, and there are so many choices!

Choices is what I truly love about Linux/*BSD. I can chose whether or not I want GUI or command line, which browser, which text editor, which e-mail browser, etc. all for free with open-source code. Also, I can choose whether or not I am in the mood for eyecandy(Enlightenment), or straight up hackerish productivity (dwm).

Beyond the choices, another obvious benefit is the lack of spending money on software, whether for office suites or security.

In addition to free software, the great configurability is awesome. No confusing registry or uneeded clutter going through my system and slowing it down day after day. Instead, everything is done through configuration files, which all all located in one directory, /etc/ .

Also, by being able to completely cut down on the OS and start from a kernel and work my way up, all my systems are fast, booting in under 10 seconds (the freebsd on my best box :cool:, thank you custom kernel ).

Documentation is another excellent part of *nix. Just look at the FreeBSD handbook or gentoo's wiki/handbook, and you will see what I mean. Almost everything imaginable is covered their.

The user groups are also great, with excellent forums (ubuntu, gentoo, and arch linux especially), IRC chat, and jabber chat in some instances

Overall, I find it a more pleasant user experience as well

Any distro is a start, and I definately recommend the *buntu or suse for beginners, and after you have a fair understanding and have ventured off into the command line a little, try arch linux or freebsd.

Just some thoughts

Alphalutra1

2. minnow

minnow Registered Member

my thoughts exactly -sumeone - Ive benn meaning to try Linux bt after getting home
    from the D A M job = get distracted by digging for more gold + finding best AvVs + stuff

Thanx Mark 4 ALL your help on this :thumb:

is this a TRICK ?
    Test if javascript is currently enabled in your browser (click below):

DO NOT CLICK ME

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Am I supposed to be Mark?? Cause I'm not.... :)
    If you refer to Click here to test if javascript is enabled... in me article, then it's not a trick... It's a test.
    Mrk

4. minnow

minnow Registered Member

Oh I thot you misspelled Mark wrong :blink: but it IS Mrk = ok then good enuff
    you replyed fast -great- i had to go work 8 hrs ago so now Im tired

uhhh :isay: no it says click below + the button shows "DO NOT CLICK ME"
    so i didnt know aIF i shood r not ? :doubt:

hey did you see my post ? Id really LIKE to KNOW about Win Doc Pro b4 jumping into that
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162356

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If you click and nothing happens, it means javascript is off.

6. minnow

minnow Registered Member

OK so i went into scripting + disabled that + then hit the link + nothin happen - hav you seen this guy ?

http://www.masterjoe.org

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I never allow automatic updates of programs even if they recommend it. The only thing that I allow to start without my expressed permission is the virus signature updates for the AV. I still have the Microsoft update icon on the system tray to update to IE 7. I think I will wait until the next decade before I consider installing it. :D

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Not a problem.
    Since M$ dropped support for 98/Me, you wouldn't expect it to be so off-base to pass along an alternate Third-Party improvement idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.