Who Are The TOP AV Apps And Why?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DasFox, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

exactly to the point and nothing from the truth.well said

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Hmm never heard of Moon Secure...

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Never heard of Dr Web.

Also I'm not happy with what I've been seeing in regards to Kaspersky and MFT and chkdisk, there are some real issues there, I had KAV installed and there was quite a difference going on with chkdisk.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

You can't just take AVs for a test ride and hope it's going to do a better job of detection and protection unless you are going to test it against others, and that is going to be a very time consuming job.

This is why I'm asking for DATA, once we see good data on AVs that are constantly scoring well then a user can test drive these to see if they like them or not.

Typical users are only going to test drive an application to see how it responds in the system, resources being used, scan times, and the overall look and feel.

There is hardly an end-user alive that is going to do their own tests to compare them against one another, and unless you do this, then a REAL test drive is never going to happen to tell you the real truths of what is underneath it all, for what you really want ---> PROTECTION.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Dasfox, I'll say it again. No user here is going to have the "DATA" you want. All they can do is go to the av test sites, who's links have been posted. You can go there yourself, and read the data there. There is no point to this. You are NOT going to get what you are looking for in this thread.

Pete

6. Dark Shadow

Yes I can And I have and I am now familiar with many and found the ones I like by Trial and my long list became shorter and shorter until I found my AV of Choice and It was fun doing so. You can search all the data you find and compare each of them have there strong points and weakness to. The AV comparitive Gives and Idea How one did In test and If one AV did better then the others would you purchase it first or test drive to see How Does it run and if you like how it feels with your system and other apps.It is all trial and error.

7. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

In my opinion, you should very much enjoy KIS, but before you do, check out the parser, if you have incompatitable software uninstall it but if you can't it will drive your computer to a grindingly slow halt with KIS

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

djohn, you are talking about trialing them in terms of how they run on the machine. OP is talking about testing, them in essence the way the test groups do. Almost no user has the ability to do that. That is why I've told him the "Data" he is looking for won't be available from users here.

Pet

9. Dark Shadow

Yes peter you are correct and I stand corrected Sir

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm just talking about showing us what information is out there on the internet, we've posted only a few sites, I can't believe for the entire internet that is all there is out there. :blink:

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

The top AV's are the ones that aren't on the bottom, and it's because they detect more Viruses. I would think this would be a no brainer. LOL.

12. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Try Google:D :D

13. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I was thinking this as well.

14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

That's because there are only a handful of credible review labs. Compare their results, try them on your pc, now go malware hunting and put them to the test.

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Performing a decent examination takes time, dedication, and money. There's plenty of "I've scanned my personal set of x supposed malware and here's what I see" posts out there and they are completely meaningless. This is the bulk of the "data" that you'll find.

In addition to the collated and well summarized test results provided at www.av-comparatives.org, www.AV-Test.org results are out there, but they are not maintained in an organized open repository. Google and you'll locate recent ones easily on the magazine sites that carried them. Here are a couple:
    Blue

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Nov 2007, 1,061,390 infected files in the test if ive read the german correctly.

http://www.pcwelt.de/start/sicherheit/antivirus/news/129927/

also, anti-malware.ru did their heuristic test not soooo long ago either.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

and the translation by google.

Blue

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

cheers blue,

here was also the results to that heuristic test.

heuristic.JPG

it should be said though, that judging an AV purely on results is just plain wrong. :rolleyes:

you can never beat the test called 'tried and tested' by yourself :)

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well if we've listed them all, it's sad considering how important security is, there aren't some better more dedication companies or resources on this cause.

CSJ trial by error, testing yourself can also lead to problems, someone with a lack of experience that puts in a supposedly good application, later to replace it with another, can soon come to see they are sitting on the end of a highly infected, or exploited computer.

I've seen many people out there getting infected...

We are not just talking about HOME computers here on this discussion but for business as well.

Something I have found interesting, is that in many online tests I've seen AntiVir constantly rates at or above KAV, and NOD, quite impressive...

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, for detection only.

if Avira was sooo good, (or any AV) ... why do people keep finding files on full system scans?

if files ARE being found on full system scans..... detection rates are useless, you need to use your antivirus to get rid of that threat.

if an AV only had 'detection only' pros, what happens when the full system scan finds something?

you download another antivirus to fix your computer, which totally rules out the point of having an antivirus in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  21. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Looks like McAfee barely squeezed into the Silver Award, lol.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, for its heuristics.

which is impressive, i didnt really think they had any. lol :)

23. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

So Avira is doing a good of detecting, but then not on a full system scan, only while it watches in the background?

Then it's not doing a good job of cleaning and removal either?

THANKS

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if a file is detected on a full system scan, what is the option?

25. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

:p :D

I went up in heuristics and down in detection so I guess it evens out, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.