whitelist of working ext. DVD-DRives?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aggronix, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aggronix

aggronix Registered Member

Yesterday the german Acronis Support told me that imaging to DVD from within the boot rescue environment is NOT officially supported, it "can work sporadic". :(

I had luck with TI 91 home Build 3694 and an elder SONY DRX 510 external burner. Another drive, a brand new HP 840u won't work. Now, with TI 10.0 our SONY Drive doesn't work anymore. It isn't seen on the workplace window.

If you press ALT-F11 at the rescue CD Bootscreen you can change the Linux kernel parameters. If you delete the default parameter "quiet" you'll see all the linux boot messages.
    At the end you'll get a linux prompt (#). There you can scroll up and down with shift-PgUp/shuift PgDown to read the messages .

If your DVD is not working, you can find messages like

<6>hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.4-1, assigned address 2
    <3>usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)
    <6>hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.4-1, assigned address 3
    <3>usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)

If you ask google for "usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2" you can find a lot of theads with this subject. It seems that there is a timing problem between the linux kernel and the USB 2.0 Port.
    Some people have reported there can be a chance if you press ALT-F11, then delete the "quiet", let Linux boot and start Acronis at the prompt with the command "product".

So far, I had no luck with that. I tried TI10 with two Drives (Sony, HP) on 5 different PCs (HP Kayak, Compaq Deskpro, and a noname).

I asked the german Acronis support for a "whitelist" of working DVD-Drives, but they wouldn't tell me at least one name. :cautious:

Perhaps we can build such a list here? If somebody was able to image directly to a external DVD (within the boot rescue environment, not windows!) please post your environment, especial your Drive Type here.

Thank you all, regards from switzerland.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aggronix,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will look through it, find out how the investigation of your issue is going and provide you with further instructions, if needed.

Please also clarify how the external USB DVD drive is connected to your computer: using USB HUB or not?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. aggronix

aggronix Registered Member

Hello Aleksandr.

thank you for your reply.

It was #660457 where I've been told Acronis True Image is definitely not able to write on dvd's from the linux environment.

Later it was #885349 when Mr.Model helped us greatly with a new build for TI 10.

It wasn't a problem to write DVDs with 9.1 and it isn't a problem with TI 10.0 now. But the only drive we can use is an elder sony. If this old writer gets broken we'll have a big problem.

Our main problem is to figure out which other drive(s) is (are) tested with your linux environment.

It is NOT our main problem to get our HP DVD running. We'll buy another one if we know which!

All of our tests we made on 3 different PCs. (HP Kayak, HP Cpmpaq, Compaq Deskpro). They have USB Ports and USB Hub Ports - we tried both.

The HP DVD840 drive wasn't running in any case. I tried to write on DVD+/- , on DVD-RW and DVD-RAM, pre formatted or not. (writing dvd's with windows was succesful). I have sent different sysinfo.txt files with our request.

But - once more: please don't waste time with that HP DVD840 writer, we would appreciate any advice with a purchasable and supported drive!

best regards, aggronix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.