White-listing methodology

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by The Seeker, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I'm curious as to the methodology Webroot uses to whitelist applications and their components.

This question has arisen because of a program I have used for quite a while: Directory Opus. Now, DOpus has been around for over twenty years, first on the Amiga and now on Windows. Yet whenever I switch to a beta version, Webroot always sets the same two components to 'Monitor' under System Tools > System Control > Control Active Processes.

I can understand beta versions being set to 'Monitor' temporarily as the MD5 hash has changed, but is there no way for a program (and its components), such as DOpus, to be white-listed permanently?

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Well on general principles I'm not sure I would want a permanent white list classification.

It is based on the notion that code that is pure today can NEVER fall from grace.

Like the people who produce code this can NEVER be true.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We never whitelist anything permanently, per-se. WSA is always monitoring what every process does, even if it's under 'Allow'.

Whitelisting depends on correlations from other applications and rules written centrally to whitelist files. I recommend writing into our support inbox for them to whitelist any applications on your PC, which should move them into the 'Allow' category :)

4. The Seeker

So whenever DOpus releases a new beta, and I install it, I'd need to open a ticket? Would it not be easier for me to simply move it to 'Allow' myself?

Incidentally, I'm asking about this as I've noticed that when a program is set to 'Monitor', it has a slight hit on system resources. This was especially true when Google Chrome released its latest beta a few days ago (which has since been white-listed after I opened a support ticket).

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We will often automatically whitelist it once we've whitelisted one version, but it depends on how much code change they make across each version. You could certainly just mark it as Allow yourself, which will have the same effect.

6. The Seeker

Cool. Thanks for taking the time, Joe :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.