White knight rescues Kerio's free firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by msanto, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

Wow, now that's a nice offer. Just had to deactivate Sygate and install this. At this price it's got to be worth a try!

Thanks for the heads up. :)

muf

2. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

Well I did the same thing and so far Sygate is still easier to use. I had to uninstall Kerio/Sunblt's product since it was originally installed in Advanced mode and try as I might I could not get several Internet applications to work. I may try the product again but so far I am batting 0 - 2 with Sunbelt and their products.

:(

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So how's it going so far?

4. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

I do not think you can simply deactivate Sygate. In order to test Kerio one has to uninstall Sygate completely thereby wiping out any settings that one has defined for it.

I find that Kerio even in simple mode was prompting me numerous times during a windows update to allow the windows update app to perform tasks. I could see a newbie becoming confused/annoyed with this constant prompting to allow or not allow. This is after I indicated to create a rule for the application in question.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can save your Sygate settings by just backing up all the .dat files in the Sygate folder. Works for me..

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

And subscription renewing for $9,95.....;)

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi controler,

take a fast look at the bright side of life;)

8. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

has there been any new features or bug fixes?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. pikeman1020

pikeman1020 Guest

Hi guys, just passing by and saw this thread and needed to ask something. I really felt like buying this product because of the reputation of Kerio firewall but what makes Sunbelt now an expert at the firewall software area?

I don't know who they are and don't want to judge but can we expect the same type of quality from the product now that someone else own's it? How confident are you, the regular user's of Kerio that this product will continue as it has until now?

Thanks for any and all replies.

ps. This is a great introductory price.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It can't get any worse than it has been.. Kerio 4.xx's reputation is actually quite bad. Known for it's bugs and problems. It only recently turned out to be a usable product. So I don't see how it could get any worse... Might actually improve quite a bit in the future..

P.S. There appears to be a new version just released. I assume this is 4.2.3 then?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  12. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Registered Member

I got this from the site, a FAQ:

Q: I want to update my existing version of KPF to the new Sunbelt Version 4.2.3, how should I do that?
    A: Please uninstall your current version. Then reinstall the Sunbelt Version and enter your new sunbelt license key. Keep in mind there is no difference in features, the only difference at the moment is the rebranding.

I don't know if that addresses bugs, but I am inclined to think that they only rebranded at this point.

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Maybe a good idea to give Sunbelt some time and credits to develop Kerio Firewall starting from the point it's now?:D

They just bought it from Kerio Technologies Inc., it's very easy to say that they are only involved in the rebrand business;)

14. controler

controler Guest

Thanks smokey

I always look at the bright side :D
    Merry Christmas to you too and everyone here that is registered at Wilders.

Think about it for at least one min.

What do home users NEED?

don't say well they need to be able to reformat drive, they need to be able to use winhex.
    That is your thinking.

They need a suite to be safe PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If they got a fast computer they could care less and do not even know about
    resources. DUH?

Here is what I always taught, Do not care about yourself but rather the normal home user. They outnuber us geeks 5 billion to 500,000 LOL
    I am talking about those of us that have used computers since the late 70's

15. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Amazingly , someone here trying to bash a good product . Bad reputation ? Hmmm . Interesting . The only thing bad that is talked about most is the resource use . Kerio does not have a bad reputation at all . It is good . Very good in fact . The question is , what will Sunbelt do to it . For those who know and understand firewalls , it will show . For those that think it is bad , it will make no difference .
    Great firewall at a great price . This firewall is very secure but , not friendly AT ALL with other firewalls . Even if the firewall you have is OFF , there can be a conflict . No need to take anyones word for it . try it . If you like it , use it . It is very good for a software firewall . If it is not liked by you , move on to something else . As for the inner workings , very few are are better than this . And the price is great . At least , for now . Unless Sunbelt messes it up .

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It is common knowledge and way old news that Kerio 4.xx has a terrible reputation, specifically for all it's various and neverending bugs. If you followed it thru all the beta stages from 4.0 onward, you would know this hollywood. Come on.. Kerio refused repeatedly to listen to most of the user feedback on the project, particulary from long time Kerio 2 users. They alienated almost everyone by doing this. And the people (like myself) who kept trying each new beta and then each new release were continually disappointed over and over by the neverending stream of bugs and problems. If you need proof, just browse thru all the threads in the Kerio forum going back this past year while 4.xx was in development. Here: http://forums.kerio.com/

Get real guy..... :D

Oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas too.. :)

17. Arup

Arup Guest

If we are to go by fixes in Kerio final releases and betas, actually the final outdoes the beta, compared to the rock steady isue-less Kerio 2x, Kerio 4x ruined all the good faith built up chasing even die hard Kerio users like myself, what a pity, instead of improving, all they did was add un-necessary crap and made it worse day by day.

18. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi controler!

Happy Xmas to you, and hope your sharpening eye stays bright in 2006 as in 2005!;)

Do you really think the home user know what winhex is?
    They think it is some kind of food, or the name of a F1-Bolide.:eek:

Correct is, they need a suite to be safe.

Just a small problem: they don't know how to use the suite, and adjust the suite with the proper settings, that's for a lot of them pure horror!

Look here around on Wilders, when you see how many people are really desperated and don't know how to fix the problems they meet and to solve problems with the securtiy software they have....:rolleyes:

That's one of the main reasons Wilders is so well visited, and they are desperately hoping for help.

Personally i give them the help they need (and with me many others), even them who are thinking they know everything but know nothing about the stuff.;)

It is the main purpose of Wilders Security Forums to serve and help people, therefore i'm since a very long time Wilders member, just like you.
    We do what we can, but sometimes i'm thinking: RTFM!!!!

Best regards,

Smokey

19. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Again: let's wait how Sunbelt is doing the job, please give them some credits;)

20. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Wow!!! This could be the lowest price Firewall on the market and continuing the traditions of giving it free to home users impressed me again...:eek:

But, I am wondering then, what "changes" Sunbelt have made into this newer version. Is this more lighter than their previous versions... and also more faster? o_O

21. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I can't say that this Kerio is slow at all. It does websites better than the latest beta of KIS2006 for instance, or LnS for that matter....

22. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

As of now, the only changes are re-branding... Nothing else..

23. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Because i have a hardware firewall, i use KPF v4 only for outgoing connections and application behaviour, Kerio is doing that job excellent.:)

24. joter

joter Registered Member

... and how you do this? only for outgoing connections and application behaviour? can you disable anything?

Merry Xmas
    joter

25. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Well said Kerodo, you are 100% correct!

They were great during the Kerio 2.x betas-final releases about listening to there users and fixing things. After that there was the now long forgotten Kerio 3 betas which ended abpruptly after just the 5th or so beta. It never did make its way out of beta testing. It took them a really long time I remeber to even let there beta testers know that they were scrapping it and starting all over. That was the first major disapointment. Then finally after a really long time they finally came out with Kerio 4 betas. Big and bloated with a fancy new gui and web filtering. :( The developers said they would work on the bloat, so I held out some hope. During the beta process you would report bugs to Kerio and they would acknowledge them and tell you that they would fix them but then after a few more beta releases they would still be there. :( The bugs they did fix it seemed like it just created new ones. It was extremely frustrating!

The logging was a complete mess too. You couldn't count on it at all to tell you what was going on since it wouldn't report everything. Kerio 2.x logging years before was by far much better. By the end of beta testing on the initial Kerio 4 beta I could see that they were not listening to there users at all and that things had gone down hill big time. So it was time to move on. I watched hoping for better things to come in the next version that they had but I could tell by looking at the forums nothing changed. So that was that.

Anyways, you'll have a fantastic Christmas!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.