White knight rescues Kerio's free firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by msanto, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Good news for fans of free security software: The Kerio Personal Firewall isn't going away after all.

Sunbelt Software, best known for its CounterSpy anti-spyware product, said on Thursday that it has agreed to acquire the Kerio Personal Firewall from Kerio Technologies, saving the popular consumer desktop firewall product from the chop. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good news! Thanks.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe Sunbelt Software is planning to create their own Frankenstein Security Suite :
    Firewall (Kerio) + CountrySpy (AS), but they still need an AV. :)

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

That's awesome. I'm glad to know that not all the decent freebies are disappearing. It will be interesting to see where Sunbelt takes all of this.

6. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Very good news.Now if they decided to make it also lighter,it would be perfect :D

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, a good rewrite, or even a reversion back to the old Kerio 2 layout would be nice... although that'll probably never happen.. Still, nice to see it stay alive one way or another.. :)

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Good news :)

Hope they improve it and let it using very low resources...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  9. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

A product worthy of being saved. Version 4.2.x is robust, and if Sunbelt can keep it that way and/or improve upon it, so much the better. Good to hear that a freeware version will be made available.

10. chiawaikian

chiawaikian Registered Member

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The key issue is whether Sunbelt are hiring/acquiring Kerio's developers also. If not, it will take them longer to get to grips with the code to provide any updates. It will be interesting to see how things progress but it looks like another example of an all-in-one security suite being put together.

12. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I hope if they made it into another newer versions that their upgraded 4.2.2 will not crashed again on my system. :oops: Maybe, the HIPS feature is not compatible w my system. :doubt:

And aside from improving this firewall that i hope that they can also make it more lighter and faster and safer. :cool:

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

They are planning on a suite. They already have an AV they are working on. When the suite will be ready, I have no idea. Hopefully, they will keep a free version of Kerio separate from the suite.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I agree totally. But no matter what they do with it unless you are going to "Nortonize" the product, it is a positive development. ;)

I thought about this and did not want to confuse anyone. "Nortonize" = beyond their past history which is well documented here at the Wilders, I was thinking about the Sygate FW fate, playing out again. :(

15. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

is there known a release date ofr this firewall?

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No...

17. controler

controler Guest

I bet ther are alot scrambling to gather suite components right now.

Those that frequent wilders like forums do not like suites.
    They want CONTROL. they want MORE resorces, they want HYPER speed LOL

Home users on the other hand NEED suites.

It is not what is best for you and I but rather what is best for the average user.

controler

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yep, security suites are "in" and the majority of the users (average users) will buy them.
    That's why all these companies were so quickly to create one. As always MONEY is the main reason.
    Quality doesn't matter for these users, they want a simple, cheaper and all-in-one solution.

I wonder if Agnitum has already an AV for their security suite LOL.
    I find it amusing to see where each company is getting its firewall, AV or AS.

19. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

CounterSpy News
    Issue #18 - Dec 16, 2005
    • The Kerio Personal Firewall will be re-branded on an interim basis as the "Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall".
    • All existing customers of the Kerio Personal Firewall V4 will be able to receive support through Sunbelt once the acquisition is completed.
    • Upon the close of the deal, Sunbelt will also announce new reduced pricing for the full version of the product and a variety of special offers for both Kerio and Sunbelt customers.
    • Additionally, Sunbelt will continue Kerio's tradition of providing a basic free version for home users.
    • During the transition period, Kerio will continue to support the product and users are encouraged to download the Kerio Personal Firewall from the Kerio website at www.kerio.com until the acquisition is completed.
    http://www.counterspynews.com/

20. starstruck

starstruck Guest

I'm personally fine with 'security suites'. look at ghost security's ghost suite.

You pay seperately for each component, if you want it, you pay for it, if you don't want it , you don't pay for it. Talk about the advantage of suites, with the advantage of control!

Much Much better than all those people selling suites, that force you to buy the whole package. Sure the whole package is cheaper than buying each component seperately, but there's no control!

21. controler

controler Guest

Well duh?

Money? Yes it is and that is what motivates people. Or human rights or sex, or doing the right thing.

BUT, Think about what is best for home users here not your own agendas, OK?

Actualy think about how home users use their computers and the internet.

Oh yea they are hit by adds, Yes they want sexual sites that don't POP their computers, Look at Blaze LOL

My answer is think simple and think about your fellow man-woman.

Understand what is right.

Understand what is human.

Only do good to others even if they are A holes.

Fight for what IS right PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never deter from that thought.

Sit back have a few drinks and say hey, I can do that.

con

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sunbelt Completes Kerio Firewall Buy-Lowers pricing

Story

23. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

24. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Anyone who wants an excellent firewall at an UNBELIEVABLE price should get this . Kerio is outstanding . And , at $ 14.95 , it is an incredible deal for this security !~

25. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

At these prices they can't go wrong...I wanted 2 licences and waited to see what would happen with this sale,what a saving!

Sunbelt have also taken the documents and greatly improved them,see here....

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio-Docs.cfm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.