Which would you choose

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I will be very interested in how AVG fares with the future AVC tests. The free AV is used by a lot of folks I know, and all are completely satisfied. That says a lot. They are safe users.

I agree that detection rates are not the criterion by which I would choose an AV. But if several run well, and the costs are essentially equal I would choose the one with the best detection rates.

Fuel efficiency is not my major consideration when buying a car, but I don't ignore it either, and it may be a factor.

Best,
    Jerry

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

to add to that...

an antivirus such as avira that sometimes fails to load on startup / fails to load the icon and sometimes fails to scan emails, great software. LOL

add the terrible layout and the really expensive pricetag, to quote the title thread "which would you choose" ?

like ive said many times, avira's product sells purely off detection rate.

people who even have a licence for premiem are being told to pay a lot of money just to upgrade to the suite which is the same plus the most basic firewall ever, very poor software. very poor company in my opinion

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

As to the price, the Premium lists for $25.35. That included VAT, and I am not sure if there is a way around that. But even including the VAT it is among the least expensive AV, I think.o_O

Jerry

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

erm actually.. there was a thread, cant remember which, about the price premiem customers have to pay to upgrade to the suite.

its huge apparently, more people slagging avira off on that thread, was a great read :D

its on wilders somewhere :)

epecially with the software not even loading at boot sometimes, and sometimes not scanning emails etc, who would want to use security like this?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

bitdefender has been reported for not loading up on startup when version 10 first came in.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

There is also a thread on NOD about not starting at start-up.
    I agree that I am not willing to "fool with" those problems, but if Avira does fix the problems I encountered I would prefer it to anything except KAV. At half the price I would buy it instead.
    But since there is a free version, that might be the best choice.

Best,
    Jerry

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why dont you try the aol active virus shield cut down version of kav?
    or have you already? it would protect you more than most other free products.

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Lucky me that I haven't met these kind of bugs with AVIRA AntiVir PE 7 Classic and WinXP Home. :oops:

For me, it's more important, that I can see these kind of real time scan reports from my mail attachments, when I tried to double click that. :)

10/26/2006,20:54:54 [WARNING] Contains signature of the dropper DR/Shelled.Gen!
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username_xyz\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\u4udzukm.default\cache\de94e5d6d01
    [INFO] The file will be deleted.

Unfortunately 10 other scanning engines couldn't detect that in VirusTotal after 6 days, when I scanned the file at first in there. Could they detect that by their mail scanners? :D

Remember, PE Classic is free and it can protect you enough. ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

May I have missed something, do av-vendors sell, Movies, Bicycles, Beer, HotDogs etc. as well or just Alka-Seltzer and painkillers? :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

For some reason I do not want any dealings with AOL. In time it might be OK, but really I am not dissatisfied with F-Secure. It is as effective as any other. I would consider buying it at the half price rate. By the time the trial is up, I hope Avira Classic will be as bug free as any other.

I guess I will fall for the "detection rate alone is all avira sell on." :D

For some silly reason that is why I want an AV. o_O o_O

Best,
    Jerry

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Using those criteria AntiVir PE Classic is the best that I have used.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

fair enough.

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Wow!
    You are apparently a psychiatrist in addition to being an AVG fanboy?

Seriously,
    Who are you to say crap like that about how anyone judges an antivirus?

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont blame you i dont trust aol eiether but if you dont install toolbar its just a free kaspersky with a aol skin

15. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd recommend you give CA etrust AV a go. Its quite light on the resources and its protection is good.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

id recommend you leave ca etrust, its not light and the protection is NOT good. :doubt:

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lmao.

for free go avg if payed go nod32..

18. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

For free antivirus go with Antivir, it's light and has not had any issues on my girlfriends laptop. It's the best free antivirus I have used, and I tried all top 3.

19. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id say avast is better than etrust though it does use a bit of resources (depending on how u configure it).

and antivir clearly proves that free AV can match and even surpass detection rates of paid AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.