Which Windows OS Do You Use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by DrBenGolfing, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Which Windows OS Do You Use?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2014.
  1. Windows 95

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows 98

1.0%
  3. Windows XP

35.9%
  4. Windows Vista

4.9%
  5. Windows 7

63.1%
  6. Windows 8

26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm not familiar with RamGate. I would have been interested to test it. Revolutions Pack largely mitigated most of the resource handling problems for 98. It also greatly improves its appearance. The biggest thing I found that helped was choosing apps that managed resources properly. Internet Explorer did not release resources, even when it was closed. A few hours with it on heavy pages was all it took to run the system out. When I switched to the Mozilla suite, usable time went from several hours to several days. With IE completely removed and Revolutions Pack and other upgrades installed, I haven't found a limit to how long it stays stable.

Win 98 and FAT32 file systems took a lot of heat for problems that were just as much the fault of the hardware. With more modern hard drives, FAT32 is reliable. With more RAM, applications run much better on 98 than they used to. When NTFS became the norm, multi-user PCs were also the norm. Now users with multiple personal devices is the norm. IMO, Microsoft missed a golden opportunity by not developing the 9X systems to their potential as it's ideally suited for single user environments.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'm using XP. I'm a happy user.:)

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Windows 7 Ultimate on my 6 desktops. My Laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium. I have an iphone. I want to try Windows 8 on portable devices soon.

4. encus

encus Registered Member

Windows 8.

5. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    Home I have Vista and XP Pro S3; main one, daily use XP. I will give it up next year when I have no more security updates from Microsoft coming. I wrote them a letter, said I'm willing to pay a hundred a year for update subscription. I dont like Vista, just have it around to study. I bought 7, gave it to my niece. I skip over it for 8. It fits with my mobile use, get a terabyte hard drive and a hundred gig hard drive for OS; will put the Documents, music, vids, text formats, etc on terabyte. I will use it as a server. Getting a mobile phone, cross of phone and tablet, with stylus, huge screen. Though get monitor, will access 8 with phone at home half the time.

I stream music from my XP when abroad, use mobile phone as control when home. If you have Android, check out Gmote on Play.

The 8 I'll use as server, though not properly so, to upload video and audio, and other files from my phone. I like XP better than Vista and 7.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.