Which webmail provider is the best?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Dregg Heda, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

i use gmx (https), and noscript blocks FB, it works fine here. :doubt:

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'd sure like to know how you're doing it then. For me, without Facebook scripting allowed, GMX just hangs on the loading screen. I even went back and made a quick account there just to test it. I still get the same behavior unless I visit in IE 8.

3. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

here are my noscript settings, and "https://www.gmx.com" is temporary allowed. Give it a try.

Attached Files:

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Yes but with enigmail, don't the other people that you communicate with have to use this service also? Otherwise it is not encrypted, correct?

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Kinda Caspian

They must also use a form of PGP encryption or possibly a certificate. They don't have to necessarily use enigmail. Enigmail is an extension installed into Thunderbird that allows that client to work with and use GPG encryption (public/private key process). It can also interact with those that use certificates instead of public/private keys.

Comodo Secure Email and Safe-mail use certificates and can only interact with other certificates, not public/private keys. So while they are less flexible and appealing, CSE and Safe-mail do have an advantage being that they can send encrypted email to receipitants who don't use encryption. This is done with the use of in Safe-mail's case, "Safebox". The sent email actually remains on the server encrypted and another email is sent alerting the receiver that an encrypted email is awaiting them. They then follow a link and need to provide a password which is preshared between parties or is a temporary password generated by the server.

However with the latter, you must put your trust in CSE and/or Safe-mail when they encrypt and retain your sent email on their servers.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  6. caspian

Thanks for that, Tobacco.

7. caspian

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Do local ISPs which provide webmail, count in this thread?

I've had the same ISP for 16 years. I have Forte Agent Mail|News Reader program installed, and use a POP3 account.

But I can also access my email via his web mail site when I'm out of town. They will stay on the server until I download them using Forte Agent.

The ISP does not store email messages or URLs used in browsing.

I use a Yahoo account for certain internet stuff.

----
    rich

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Don't like the smell of this.

10. caspian

LOL! I don't much care for the smell of any of them. I had xeromail setup on a USB stick and lost it at an airport. I went in a changed the password and deleted the username but I haven't created a new one yet. I don't know why I have put this off. It is clearly the best option by far.

I wonder if I could install Thunderbird with xeromail in a truecrypt folder on a USB stick?? That way if I lose it again I won't have to worrry.

11. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

Do you mean Xerobank's encrypted mail service? I am not exactly overly keen on it. When I first signed up for my account, I registered it using their system. However, I was having issues receiving email. I then had an email from the address I had just registered from someone who had already registered it but left it dormant. Why Xerobank let me register an address that was already taken is unknown - but it raises he question, what is the point of such a secure system if it patently isn't? Trust is everything.

12. korben

korben Registered Member

Signed up for:

hush
    safemail
    bigstring
    fastmail

Your experiences? So far hush seems to be the choice.

13. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

This sounds like a horrific system. Why in the world do they use certificates for symmetrically encrypted data? As everyone who knows anything about crypto knows, a symmetric system sucks for e-mail encryption because the secret key has to be exchanged between parties beforehand, which is a very difficult problem to overcome (and was why public key crypto was invented in the 70's). Using CSE's method, how would I encrypt e-mail to someone I didn't already know in person? Again, it would be virtually impossible to exchange the secret key securely. And if the server provides a temporary password, then that means you have to trust the server not to give out your keys to a third party. Forget it, I will stick with OpenPGP. I like the PGP WoT because it gives the user the ultimate power and decision making over his crypto communications.

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Safe-mail has already been discussed so make your own decisions.

Hushmail ( have also seen a few services that appear to be a branch of hushmail) has a bulit-in backdoor and seem happy to co-operate with authorities.

Bigstring - did not try because they required way too much info at sign-up.

Fastmail - have not looked at.

15. box750

box750 Registered Member

Countermail looks good to me, they claim their servers run on live CDs/RAM and have no hard disk.

AnonymousSpeech is another service that seems decent for email and they also offer anonymous domain registration and free speech webhosting.

I would also consider NeomailBox they have been around for quite a few years now.

16. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I think that's noticeably changing. Since Opera Software's purchase of FastMail about four months ago, a lot of things have changed, especially behind the scenes performance-wise.

One thing I just absolutely love is the ability to create one-time passwords at Fastmail -- or even a list of one-time passwords. Say you are going on vacation and know you may have to access your email from iffy locations over the next ten days. You then use one of the passwords off your list and it can never be used again, next questionable stop you do the same, you never use the same password twice because you can't and therefore renders a keylogger useless against your email. That's good stuff.

17. korben

korben Registered Member

ok, no gonna go this hush way... 3 weeks of non-activity should help me get out of their hands.
    Fastmail - 'scheduled for deletion within 7 days'
    Bigstring - awaiting criticism guys :)

edit:

regarding Bigstring

I hate such options with no options so it's a big minus for them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  18. LockBox

I think I would contact customer service and see what's going on.

19. LockBox

Fastmail with no ads and 120 days before warning is only $4.95 a year. All the extras are worth it to me.

20. korben

korben Registered Member

Ha, just popped into my wicked mind...

you hit 'delete' - gmail / hotmail - what happens to the messages? anyone wondered ever?

21. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I would imagine they build up for 9 month or so and then somebody over at Google Gmail division pushes delete account and puff, since it is Google it is a good Idea to empty all Mail and Account info first.

22. korben

korben Registered Member

^thanks

gmail - just saw new privacy policy, anyhing worth noting guys?

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Guys

Don't assume anything :doubt: They could store it for years - who really knows. And google and the likes will never make accounts completely secure because how are they gonna scan it ;)

And just remember that "ALL" your email, cellphone calls are "intercepted, saved (who knows how long) and scanned by the NSA and god knows how many other agencies. :thumbd:

24. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

That's true, but it has nothing to do with Google. Since NSA has their own fiber hooked into the major Internet backbones, they are listening to you no matter what ISP you use or what e-mail provider you use. The only way this can be defeated is by using encryption.

25. nix

nix Registered Member

I finally signed up for Countermail. It looks really nice, and has an efficient interface. They're offering a 30 day free trial. Sign-up takes one minute. If anyone wants to check it out with me, let me know.
    countermail screen shot.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.