Which VPN providers really take anonymity seriously? (ARTICLE)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by firefox2008, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

I do have my doubts that any given ISP, without recourse to DPI -even then - can easily identify/classify encrypted VPN traffic.

If one takes a standard L2TP/IPSec packet, it can add five headers and two trailers to the payload. Port analysis is out as the VPN also obfuscates these. Bit analysis, likewise is not possible. Typical UDP connection patterns are obfuscated and at the end of the day, for those unfortunate enough to have an ISP who likes to 'traffic shape' their customers p2p traffic, a VPN is generally an easy way around their fiddling.

2. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Im not an expert but if you are using a VPN I thought ALL traffic was sent through a certain port to the VPN. Maybe that is wrong. But if that is the case I dont see how an ISP can sepearte p2p, torrents, i2p etc. But maybe it is possible. Lets assume it is possible for your ISP to decipher which traffic is which and categorize it. Why does this matter if it all is encrypted? I mean its not illegal to use certain protocols like i2p,bittorrent etc. So all they have is that you are using a certain protocol not the data that is being sent. As I mentioned HERE I guess if there was some kind massive worldwide surveillance that could correlate the traffic entering the VPN encrypted and exiting the VPN and reaching the web server unencrypted. I guess that is a slim possibility but thats the only way I see it possible. But if multiple people are using the same IP of a VPN at the same time that would make this nearly impossible.

Further if the ISP categorizes traffic by port could someone just change the port used by torrents, i2p to change what category it is put in? But that may not be how they categorize the traffic. But as I said I dont see what it matters if they know you are using a certain protocol if they can not see the traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.