Which version of EMET do you use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by tomazyk, Oct 22, 2012.

?

Which version of EMET do you use?

1. EMET v. 1.0.2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EMET v. 2.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. EMET v. 2.1

2.6%
  4. EMET v. 3.0

27.6%
  5. EMET v. 3.5 Tech Preview

26.3%
  6. I use other software with similar functionality (please explain which).

2.6%
  7. I don't use EMET

40.8%
  1. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I posted before that I use 3.5 on both Windows 7 and 8 (64 bit)
    Now trying V4 in Windows 8 – noticing issues with sandoxed programs not loading Emet.dll.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

According to posts in the EMET thread that is a Sandboxie issue, not an EMET one. Hopefully the next update for Sandboxie will fix that as it is also in beta.

I upgraded to EMET 4.0 beta as well and finding it a nice upgrade, minus the few bugs that others have pointed out. They are minor though so I will live with them for the time being.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What are the differences between EMET V4 and V3.5?

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

One of the biggest improvements not related to the core functionality is that EMET_Agent v4 loads very fast at start-up. That was reason enough for me to switch.

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Just installed 3.5, protected most my apps. It runs smooth so far.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Have used 2.1, 3.0, and 3.5 Tech Preview. I didn't like how the DEP was broken on the 3.5 Tech Preview, or the way the notifier worked on both 3.0 & 3.5. I could block the connections with Comodo FW/D+, but it still seemed shady. So I guess 2.1 was my favorite.

And now this v4 requires .NET Framework v4 to be installed to work, which I'm not a fan of. It's not even offered as an update through Windows Updates for XP... just the Client version, which I hear isn't adequate enough. So I wonder how much this new version is even geared toward XP users. Don't think I'll be using it.

So now I'm using none of the above, and am waiting around to try out Exploit Shield and LarryPepper's Open EMET instead to cover that area without having to add the attack surface of .NET Framework and some shady notifier that phones home to my box. And if none prove adequate I'm perfectly fine with my Hardware DEP and Comodo D+'s shellcode injection protection.

7. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I have 3.5. I needed to switch it off to run "Advanced Uninstaller" and couldn't. Obviously exiting the notifier hadn't worked. Is there way to switch off temporally EMET?

8. Nebulus

I'm using EMET 4 on Windows XP. To be honest, I need .NET 4.0 for the Microsoft SDK/compilers, so it's installed anyway on my machine :)

9. guest

guest Guest

At first I was interested in using version 3. But after I read some horror stories and knew that version 4 beta requires .NET framework 4, I think I'm just gonna stick with DEP all programs without EMET. :D

10. Nebulus

It seems that some people are having an issue with .NET 4.0... Is there something I should know about this particular version? :)

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

On some XP systems, the user might face a 'slow boot' issue. Here are a few examples:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo.../thread/cb75c4dc-e0af-4b22-85b2-c2c1b08bfea1/
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-down/4476f6ab-3355-4ed6-bec2-bfe18dd408b0

However, as mentioned on those links, there's a 'fix'.

Alternatively, one can create either one of these batch files:

Those who prefer an ".exe" form can download one created by our forum member Rejzor here:

http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/slow-windows-xp-sp3-startup-with-net-framework-4

12. guest

guest Guest

If I enabled the NGEN thingy, it took like 50% or more of CPU usage. If I disabled it, Windows Update couldn't install updates for .NET framework 4. I probably should check safeguy's solution. But still, I personally think it's kinda bloated. Why-oh-why didn't they include it in 7 out of the box? :(

13. Nebulus

Try safaguy's solution, I came across it a while ago on the web after I needed to install 4.0, and it worked (both for .NET 2.0 and 4.0). And I agree about the bloating as well. :)

14. guest

guest Guest

Hmmm, maybe I should try EMET 3 now until 4 Final is released. :shifty:

15. Nebulus

EMET 3 had an incredibly slow-loading notifier (at least for me)...

16. guest

guest Guest

I'm kinda allergic to beta softwares. :D 4 Final will be released in 17 days anyway.

I'm not experiencing any slowloads here, though I only use the standard settings. Mentioned here. Might be playing with that later though. ;)

EDIT: Planning on set DEP = Always On --- SEHOP = Always On --- ASLR = Opt Out. Well see what'd be the result. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  17. DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR Registered Member

Yep, same here! Well, actually that's for VC 2010, I see, on my other system (I guess that's for developing .NET stuff, but I'm only using plain C!). I still lazily installed my old VC 2005 Express last summer on this system (with newer 7/7.1 SDK or whatever it is). I already need .NET 4 for my HDHomeRun software, but I was able to just install the Client Profile for that. Now EMET 4 needs the Full .NET 4 install...

Kinda ironic that I have to have to install all that stuff (just VC++ is pretty big!) for attempting to make a very small, totally native, "Open EMET" for you people. :p :D

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Im still running EMET 3.5. Ill update it.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

EMET 4.0 (Beta), awaiting the final release.

20. guest

guest Guest

Still using EMET 3.0 and still awaiting 4 Final too. Changed some settings. :cool:

Too bad, I can't turn on Always On with SEHOP and ASLR only had Disabled and Opt In, soo...

DEP = Always On
    SEHOP = Opt Out
    ASLR = Opt In

Anything else should I protect? What about my games (FYI my games aren't online games, so dunno if I should include it or not)? :doubt:

Attached Files:

21. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

@ GrafZeppelin

EMET Users Guide ver. 4 beta - page 42
    Chrome SEHOP = (N)

WMP SEHOP = (N) EAF = (N)
    ;)

22. guest

guest Guest

So I'll have to untick them. Thank you. :thumb:

23. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Was using EMET 4 beta but had a problem with it loading the EMET.dll with Palemoon while sandboxed using the Sandboxie start icon so I uninstalled EMET ; but will try it again when it comes out of beta.

24. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

This thread needs to be closed and a new one open with EMET 4.0 as additional option.

25. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

See post #52 about this issue - it's not an EMET problem.
    Are you running Sandboxie V4? - if so try re-installing V3.76.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.