Which version of EMET do you use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by tomazyk, Oct 22, 2012.

?

Which version of EMET do you use?

1. EMET v. 1.0.2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EMET v. 2.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. EMET v. 2.1

2.6%
  4. EMET v. 3.0

27.6%
  5. EMET v. 3.5 Tech Preview

26.3%
  6. I use other software with similar functionality (please explain which).

2.6%
  7. I don't use EMET

40.8%
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I've had that happen, the "program did not install correctly" error (Which happens to many programs on Win 7 I've seen.) and I've had it not want to uninstall. It's a Windows system tool, things get weird with those :D

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

you got the posts mixed up.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, I dropped the post for Aventador in the wrong poster! My bad:thumbd:

It's true users can go overboard on security I also believe that. BUT the amount of security you need may be quite different than mine due to varying risk profiles and www behaviour. There is no size fits all set of tools. If you had to reduce to say 3 tools what would they be?

1) Router
    2) Two way firewall
    3) Sandboxie

If I am allowed 3 more I would add

4) EMET 3.x
    5) A realtime AV
    6) An IP blocker I can manage

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I personally use my router, AV (One with a web shield. Avast in particular has a very effective one in my experience.) and a good browser like Chrome or Firefox with NoScript. Just those few things have not kept malware from finding me, but have kept it from infecting me, which is all that really matters.

Thinking about IP blockers, I've used Peerblock for several years during my P2P sessions (Yes I do go over to the "dark side" occasionally). I've never thought to use the spyware/malicious IP lists for simple surfing though. Perhaps that is something I may look into and use so long as it isn't so aggressive I have to constantly manually edit out entries.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Exactly how I felt. I thought it had the same learning curve as HIPS (God forbid) and decided that my setup doesn't really need it.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. I 've never had to restore an image because of malware. On the other hand malfunctioning of the OS due to conflicts among security applications was one of the main reasons to restore. A police state can cause more problems than petty crime.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Definately. Just two nights ago on one of my computers I was getting an error when trying to install Windows updates on a failry new Windows 7 install. After much searching on Google, it turns out is was a problem with Windows firewall. I disabled it and Windows update started working right away.

I've had lots of problems over the years with security apps such as:
    • Firewalls blocking access to a shared folder on a remote computer or even blocking internet access completely
    • Antivirus software slowing Windows down to a crawl
    • BSODs from antivirus software
    • An antispyware program deciding to use many hundreds of megabytes of RAM - making my PC unusable
    • Email scanners in antivirus software preventing any email from being received
    • Website blocklists blocking access to legitimate websites
    • Etc...

That is why I choose to use as little security software as possible.

8. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Well I can tell you that Windows FW does not in and of itself block windows updates. Unless of course the setting the user has blocks the MS Update sites.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I think it might be a problem with the ADSL modem being used. I know this is really strange behavior for Windows firewall to block updates, but it was doing so. However, I downloaded software which fixes Windows Update and it didn't work. I downloaded Microsoft's fix for Windows Update but that would not run properly as it couldn't communicate with Microsoft's Fix-It website. Then I found a web page suggesting disabling Window Firewall, and immediately the issue was fixed.

10. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I use SBIE, I honestly don't see a reason to use EMET anymore. I also had trouble with version 3.5 for some reason. I may go back to 2.1, it felt much nicer on the resources.

11. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

I'm using EMET 3.0, I have not given 3.5 a whirl yet though I'm sure I will when I do my next windows install.

12. ght1

ght1 Guest

I don't use EMET. :doubt:

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I do not feel i need it at the moment and is just another unwanted process running ,and from what i recall it was using approximately 30mb of ram.

14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

EMET 2.1, fastest one out of all of them.

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Using the 3.5 Tech Preview on Windows 8. you'd think they would have a final version by now. No problems running it, have run one version or another since version 2.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Updated to EMET v3.5. No issues so far. :)

17. mechBgon

mechBgon Registered Member

I've used all versions. I was using 3.5 Tech Preview at work for a while, but when I realized it leaves the final decision (to mitigate or not) in the hands of the users, I decided to put them back on EMET 3.0, which will mitigate without asking the user whether it's OK or not.

I heard that 3.5's final version is due out mid-year. Once it's available, I'll switch my users over to 3.5.

18. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I use 3.5 - as far as I'm concerned it's a set and forget program which sits in the background doing it's stuff.

19. guest

guest Guest

I have no problem at all with v3.5 TP (upgraded always from previous versions).

The only "thing" on another system (not mine) which made trouble was a wrong setting for Skype. If you enable all the default protections for Skype your home screen in Skype probably won't load anymore. If you are enabling only the setting at the right and disabling all the others your Skype problem is gone.

I believe that people having trouble had the wrong settings for certain programs. It's NOT a tool for the average clueless Joe, you have to know what you are doing and also to remember that you have EMET installed (it's always a possible culprit if something isn't working suddenly). Of course I won't uninstall it (for sure not just only because people say "it's phoning home!!!" and getting a severe panic attack, since I am not THAT paranoid! :D ) because it is very welcome protection against unknown exploits or at least so do I believe. :cool:

I remember that I have disabled that "new" tray icon (which was not implemented in first versions) since I don't want or need that. :)

20. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

EMET 3.5 T.P. W.XP.
    EMET 3.0 W.7.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

22. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I tried it but don't want to learn it.
    I agree with this:

23. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

XP = EMET 4.0 (beta)

24. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Trying out EMET V4 Beta. There are a few bugs which I hope gets squashed before it's released as 'stable'.

25. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

EMET 2.1 - never gave me trouble and no slow downs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.