Which privacy extension would you choose?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, Jan 12, 2014.

?

Which privacy extension would you pick?

1. Disconnect Me

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  2. DoNotTrack Me

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Ghostery

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I actually checked all 3 of them. Ghostery usually blocked more than DNT and Disconnect Me.
    As much as I don't like Ghostery for slowing down the browsing, at least it blocks the most. Disconnect me sometimes blocks more content than Ghostery but that's only sometimes.
    So I decided for now to stay with Ghostery.

Bluhell broke some of my sites and there was no whitelisting. Althou it seemed a lot more faster than Ghostery but then Bluhell also didn't show how many advertisers were blocked on each site.

Maybe so but maybe we can also come up with an easier and less resource intensive way to block sites that doesn't require user participation. For me, for now, ghostery is NECESSARY evil.

2. fixanoid

fixanoid Registered Member

Hi! As a dev of Ghostery I can tell you that Ghostery is no slower than any other addons you may be using. On top of that, for Firefox specifically, Ghostery offers a bunch of advanced performance related settings in its options. Toggling them will make your browser faster especially if you suspect its Ghostery screwing up your speed.

Obviously, if you have enabled blocking in Ghostery, you should see upwards of 40% loading time decrease on pages that use a lot of tracking. When running in an un-blocked mode, Ghostery will add roughly 5% overhead per page load.

In terms of actual efficacy, you may examine the test we run monthly here: http://www.areweprivateyet.com/

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Well I don't know. Im getting up to 40% increase in loading times per page. It appears to me slower than DNT and much much slower than Disconnect Me.

4. fixanoid

fixanoid Registered Member

Ok, so try disabling some of the performance options. If you disable click to play, it should be a bit faster as well.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm currently using Ghostery in Opera v12 and Mozilla Firefox v27.

It's better than expected, even though it's sometimes a bit slow when it must block a lot.

I'm also using ScriptKeeper which is like NoScript for Opera v12, makes a great combo with Ghostery. ;)

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Same here

7. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Im using Ghostery since a few days and im stunned how good it is. It blocks the same like my previously used adblocker but is much faster (no slowdowns). Also no need for a script blocker anymore and its manual exclusions every time.

Just a quick test opening 22 websites at once:

Without Ghostery 1274 mb ram used.
    With Ghostery 663 mb ram used.

Its obviously blocking a lot of unneed stuff in the background resulting in very fast page loadings.

I just wished i had discovered Ghostery before...

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ rinem
    I know what you mean, on my old PC, I was using ScriptKeeper (NoScript for Opera v12) only to increase the speed of website downloading.

It's truly ridiculous how all these scripts are slowing down browsing and also make the browser use a lot of CPU time and RAM. :gack:

I now use ScriptKeeper only on some sites that are quite slow to load even on new PC's. Ghostery wouldn't be enough to speed up these pages. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.