Which personal firewalls would you like to see tested ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gkweb, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

That's not because it's not your opinion that it's not logical.
    I cease this endless discussion, and let other people to continue.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
    gkweb.

2. ekerazha

ekerazha Registered Member

Ohh... but this isn't only my opinion... this is the opinion of most people :)

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

gkweb,

did you know if Jetico will remain free?

Thanks

4. khazars

khazars Registered Member

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Do you know if we can disable the inbound protection on Jetico?

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Suppossedly if you rename bc_filter.sys in the system32 folder to change the filename(preferably the extension so it doens't load), it disables packet filtering. I had weird results with this though and Jetico wasn't doing anything, Steve Gibson's leaktest even got through? It was on a new install too, so I don't exactly trust this disabling method. There may be a better way, and if there is I am game :thumb:

Just a warning, the configuration is a little weird at first but you get used to it. Wonder if anyone else has found a better way at disabling the Inbound filtering for us CHX-I users o_O

Alphalutra1

7. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi gkweb,

I'm not sure this example is pertinent in the case of Kerio, since all code injections blocked by Kerio simply show a popup about the event, without any allow/deny choice ;) ...Then there's no question about the easy nature or not of this user choice : there's simply no choice at all.

That's why I did talk about DLL injection popup vs Kerio's "code injection blocked" popups : other firewalls will prompt the user for a decision (what can be difficult, as you stated), but Kerio only notify about it. The same goes for connection prompts, which can be sometimes hard to deal with.

One more time, I understand why you've made this choice in your testing criterias, if we take ie Jetico, it can let the process run (I mean the process injecting code in another) but can block its connections... when Kerio can't block it once the process is allowed to run (if we disable HIPS). Thus a better note in the tests. I can stand that :D

However I think the "hard way", which consists in blocking processes before their connections, is finally more safe, or at least the same, for the user, isn't it?

Cheers,
    nicM

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i most certainly doubt that gkweb would use default settings but i cant find any specific details on teh website.

9. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Yeah, I believe he got a little sidetracked from my question, due to his ongoing debate with ekerazha....but I PM'd him, and he replied with the following:

"Yes I have tweaked the firewalls to their highest settings, every feature was enabled, everything maxed out. Global filtering rules removed if any, to be sure to be asked about any network activity.

Out of the box settings, generally and depending of the firewall, are weaker. Out of the box settings are generally purposefully not set to high to not ask too much popups to the user.
    "

Thanks for bringing that up, though, Fuser...because others may have wanted to know the answer to that one as well. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.