Which one to buy - Malware Defender or Winpatrol Plus?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by avboy, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Hello,

As mentioned in the title, I find both to be similar, though MD has lot more granular control. But just as a HIPS which one would you recommended?

2. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

Between the two, I choose Malware Defender (wich I buy) but than again it is a question of taste and what runs better on your system and configuration ;)

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

MalDef is a pissed-off Rottweiler. WinPat is a cute little toy poodle. Your choice.

4. spidey

spidey Guest

Malware Defender hands down.

5. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

ROFL :argh:

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Both are lifetime licenses (currently).

Ease of use (simplicity) and good online data base to check against then I would go with WinPatrol Plus.

Better protection, able to tweak/configure rules then Malware Defender.

Both have excellent support from their respective developers. Both are one man operations. Both work well with other security programs (Anti-Virus, etc.)

I believe both run in Vista and Windows 7 but are 32-bit only.

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Malware Defender is a classical HIPS, where Winpatrol is more of a system monitor.
    If you have patience and are willing to learn then I would say MalwareDefender. There is quite the learning curve to MD.,but worth it IMO.

8. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. As you have mentioned, both run with AVs, and even together with each other.

I have decided to go for Malware Defender with MBAM scan on demand. The reason is that as I keep learning, I can configure MD to my heart's content!

Thanks, once again.

9. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

IMO these products are in different categories, so you are comparing apples to oranges.
    If I were using Malware Defender I would still use WinPatrol for convenience.

10. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I just bought another license for MD. As long as there have been 16-32bit operating systems I've tried nearly every well known product. You can make MD nearly bulletproof with a bit of tinkering, Winpatrol is very useful but MD is one of those low footprint evergreen programs that come around once in a while. It would be a wonderful portable program if it were possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.