Which one should I pick?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rx-death, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildman

Wildman Guest

:D As some of you may know, I am a fan of AVPE. I have been using it for some time now, and it seems to do a good job for me. The main point is to use something that one can be confortable with. I had McAfee prior, and I will never use any products from them again. The program caused my system to crash. I also suggest that one know what is in their email, and to be very picky about what they will open and what they will not. Also use WEB sites that you can trust and are familiar with. The use of Ad aware software is a good idea also.

Thanks (Danke)

Wildman :cool:

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Yes but that does not protect you from getting infected with malware, but anyhow that's not what you are really intressted in. :D

wizard

3. Wildman

Wildman Guest

:rolleyes: I think TINRIBS is correct. Again it is all a matter of what one is confortable with, and what works for them. I don't care if a company has all the horns, bells and whistles, if one does not trust tem, and their customer service is no good, then in my oppinion they are useless. If one wants to spend money for virus protection,then by all means do so. I think it is a waste of money, but then that is my oppinion.

Thanks (Danke)

Wildman :cool:

4. Wildman

Wildman Guest

:cool:

It just doned upon me, that I should state, I am talking about home use. Individuals who use their computers for business etc, should purchase the best AV program they can find. I still however state that for thoes of us who use their coumputers only for pleasure, free AV programs and common sense will accomplish the task. I still use AVPE, and it still gets the job done. If you have noticed HBEDV seems to be on top of the latest virus threats.

Thanks (Danke)
    Wildman
    :D :cool: :rolleyes: :p :-*

5. SmackDown

SmackDown Guest

Out of that list, Mcafee Pro is the best hands down.

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I am interested too what makes AVG the better one, accuse without any hard proof is not the correct way.

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

If you want an AV, that is capable to find most of malwares in the net, the choice is F-secure 5.41.

But always it is very good to have an AV as your backup, that has very good in the Wild detection too, my choice is now DrWeb 4.29c, because it is very good unpacker too, almost as good as F-secure!

Never use an AV, that couldn't unpack!

If the money isn't no limitation, choose all possible products from DiamondsCS (TDS 3 and Wormguard for instance), after that, read only your favourite newspapers, that's all!

If you have kids, try to learn them to catch fish!!! :D

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

To Firefighter from Smokey! ;)

As long the virus is archived it can not hurt and is harmless.

An AV is OK, when it reacts on the special moment the archive is unpacked.

9. SmackDown

SmackDown Guest

This wont help, first and foremost you need a good AV, before you add AT's, and other add ons. DiamondsCS doesn't provide a AV, they provide an AT, port sniffer, and worm guard. Which none of them will help you with a virus, DiamondsCS products are for Trojan/Worm detection.

10. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Smokey from Firefighter!

We have seen plenty of writings about layered defence here in the Wilders Forum sites. There is still a better way to secure your PC.

If you AV-choice is very good unpacker and it's malware database is one of the largest in the market, and after that AV you add all the possible products of DiamondCS (at least WormGuard and TDS 3), I think you have chosen such an assembly, from which it is very difficult to make better!

Why that's so good solution? Because all the time you have two different resident systems running, if the other one misses some malware, the second is able to protect your system!

That's why an AV, what is able to scan packed files. We have hopefully read about those AV-killing nasties and how they sabotages your system? Why not a duplex protection system after this all? :rolleyes:

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

11. SmackDown

SmackDown Guest

Firefighter,

OK, this last post by you, makes more sense then the one I replied to earlier, Get a good AV, then add DiamondCS, is correct way.

SmackDown

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

From the list, I pick PCCillin. I have PCCillin2000 and love it. PCCillin is fast, uses few resources, and works. I haven't had a virus yet, so can't comment on how effective it is, other than to view test results. I like it and recommend it. I've also got Spybot and Spywareblaster and feel pretty comfortable. ZA firewall rounds out my defenses, and I use it because I know nothing about firewalls and ZA seems good. I'm stealthed according to the several tests I've run at a couple of different sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.