Which one is more secure: IE or Firefox?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by helpmeout, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's probably true. I may be wrong but I thought that Opera & Iron were intrinsically safer technically.

2. MaxEntropy

MaxEntropy Registered Member

Absolutely right.

You can simply run the browser you like best, and it doesn't matter what exploits or malware it runs into on the web - they can't get out of the sandbox to do any real damage.

Indeed, you can configure the sandbox so that only the browser and essential addons can execute or access the internet. And you can prevent all programs in the sandbox from reading your private data.

3. Daveski17

The way things are going I reckon some form of browser sandboxing will be the future way of surfing the Net.

4. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Perhaps belatedly, I'm moving toward segregating activities in various VMs on local servers, and accessing them via remote desktop on a machine that boots from a Linux LiveCD, and has no WAN access. All VMs would reside in hidden TrueCrypt volumes. I'd use one VM only for financial stuff. Another would be just for work. Each online identity would have its own VM, and each would have its own privacy/anonymity provider.

5. Daveski17

That sounds like an interesting strategy.

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

define "secure"

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I don't agree. Instead I would say, The Safest browser is a browser run from inside Linux.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

~Personal comment removed. Be nice.~ Such a false claim to make, yet you still make it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
  9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

ROFL, what a laugh.

I've never had my windows PC "infected", so I can say it boils down to how well security educated the PC user is in the end.

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I agree Boost. I too never been infected and I have been using a PC since they were released. Yeah I am rather old lol :)

Common sense, avoiding certain activities on the internet, avoiding certain websites, avoiding downloading illegal cracks, serials, warez etc etc, and only install programs from reputable companies. It's rather easy to avoid getting infected.

11. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

Is it possible to remove Internet Explorer and run only Firefox?

12. Get

Get Registered Member

You better don't. Just bolt it down and block it in your firewall and use FF.

13. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I will put my SUID sandboxed Chromium browser (that also has an AppArmor profile in enforce mode) up against Sandboxie on Windows any day. This is on Linux, btw.

The problem with this "it depends on the user" argument is that it assumes all OS's are equal by default and that the only variable is the user. That is wrong. It doesn't take into account a lot of the technical differences between OS's.

14. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

not on Windows ;)

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

What version of Windows? In Windows 7 you can go the Programs and Features in the control panel and select "Turn Windows features on or off". You should see an entry for IE 8 there. In XP go to "Add or Remove Programs" and select "Add/Remove Windows Components". Internet Explorer should be in the list. If not you should be able to go to C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf and change the ,HIDE, entries to ,, and save and it will show up then. For Vista I have not found a way. Now whether or not this is a good idea is up to you.

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It's a perfectly valid argument. The "technical differences" become absolutely irrelevant once the OS reaches a minimum security baseline (and Windows, Mac OS and Linux all do), and the only variable that makes any difference at all is the user.

17. caspian

caspian Registered Member

What is the best way to configure IE8 for privacy and security?

18. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

19. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

ANY BROWSER CAN BE SECURE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO SET IT UP TO BE SECURE!

IE6 for example can be JUST AS SECURE as IE8 (But you have to MANUALLY set it up)

20. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

IE is built into the OS so I would say that is less secure.

21. xxJackxx

22. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I also get the feeling that IE8 is more secure... but I can't argue on that. :doubt:

23. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

With windows 7 (ASLR + DEP) with IE8 in protected mode, you can pretty much guarantee IE8 is more secure. This is generally backed up by the fact that the most recent exploits discovered still don't affect people running IE8 in protected mode with DEP & ASLR.

Firefox you can use DEP with, but still doesn't have full ASLR in all it's libraries, no "protected mode", and ofcourse, no SmartScreen!

24. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Cudni is that someone.
    Check out post #3 of this thread.

Adblock Plus is an ad blocker. That has nothing to do with security, other than ads may occasionally contain malicious code within them-- just as any other clickable file or link may contain malicious code.

As well, there are methods of controlling scripting within IE.

The bottom line is that any OS or browser is only as secure as the person using it is knowledgeable of security and configuration.

'Common sense' is an often-overlooked factor in the equation, too.

There's no browser where the user can just do anything he/she damn well pleases, and the browser will always 'have my back' or 'fix it for me'.
    If you want user-configurabilty to browser and OS software (and is there anyone who would say they don't?), then you have to accept that there are always going to be variables within the security equation.

25. xxJackxx

Cudni may be that person, but post #3 says "latest IE & latest FF roughly the same". It is a post I pretty much skipped over for the lack of information to support that statement. No offense to Cudni, but without more info I have no idea as to why I should consider that as fact. Post #48 by elapsed gives us some credibility as to why IE8 would be a safer browser, or at least some info that could be explored further.

Adblock Plus is an ad blocker, but as such I am sure it blocks some malicious domains which ultimately will improve security. I'm sure a lot of the ad servers come with some drive by downloads and malicious scripts.

Common sense is a factor, but it is not browser dependent. No browser will keep you safe in all situations, but some will come closer than others. Not that you are incorrect. Someone that lacks computer skills and general common sense will find the bad sites every time, but if I am setting up a computer for one of these types to use, what do I give them for a browser? IE8 with the advantages of DEP, ASLR and protected mode, or Firefox with add-ons like Adblock Plus and Noscript?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.