Which of these is better?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Slovak, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

etrust ez antivirus or avast free?

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If you want to go feature-wise or support wise, eTrust.

Otherwise, Avast! is better (in detection and updates).

You cant go wrong with either of these two products. :)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will have to disagree with Firecat on avast having better detection. I just looked on three av testing sites ( the three big ones) and eTrust detection is very respectable very good in fact. And my Etrust av updates every day sometimes twice daily.

avast

Ca. Vet

CA. Inoculate.

All of the sites that I looked at ran about the same results give or take a little.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What about features?

5. bigc73542

features may mean more to some than others. My self I will go with detection and protection. All of the bells and whistles being added to so many of the av products anymore don't necessarily mean that they work better, in some cases it is just the oposite .

6. Arup

Arup Guest

No problems with Avast's detection rates and the modules it has only make it better, when running without firewall, it blocks DCOM and many other exploits, its P2P and IM modules too work nice, also its mail scanning, in fact, the only reason Avast is not popular is because its free and gives all these features, people would rather go by vanity and pay and then suffer from bloat.

7. bigc73542

with all of those modules it sounds as if avast is working on bloat.;) But all kidding aside it is best just to run the antivirus program that you are most comfortable with, Be it Nod Kav,Nav Etrust mcafee or what ever. If it is working well for you then you don't need anything better or at least touted to be better. I have honestly tried every antivirus I have ever seen mentioned on this forum and some are really crap but most have multiple good points and if one of those does a competent job on your computer why spend more money to get something that is not going to do any better than the one you have that is doing a respectable job and you are satisfied with. And I don't care how many people tell you that their antivirus is the best, don't buy into it. There really is not a best antivirus there are just antivirus programs that may be stronger in one area or the other. And that is why you should trial several av's to get a feel in the differences and see which is actually the one you feel the best with.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  8. Arup

Arup Guest

Its still far less bloat than KAV or Norton and it has minimal impact on a system, yes, ultimately it comes down to each his own.

9. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

With all due respect , cool it on Norton and KAV . That was not part of the question .
    EZ is better than Avast in protection . I do not think there should be any doubt . As for features , BigC is correct in my opinion . EZ Trust has features . Enough to play with . Bottom line is EZ will give more protection than Avast . I do not use either of them now but , have used them in the past per testing . Both will do a good job . See which one you like the best on YOUR system . EZ gives a little better protection but , for a home user , depending on your habits , Avast may be fine for you .
    Hope that helps

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Nope, neither Norton nor KAV was part of the original question, but the word bloat was mentioned and they were used as comparison, guess thats legit to do and therefore no need to defend them either.. As for E Trust being better, well I for one would not agree and neither would I agree to it having more features than Avast, actually Avast has run out of features to put, but as I said, to each his/her own.

11. hollywoodpc

Sorry Slovak if I confused you .
    I did not say EZ has more features . I would say Avast has more without a doubt . I agreed with BigC and I said that EZ has enough features in itself . I apologize for any confusion .

12. Arup

Arup Guest

Hollywood,

What AV are you currently running? If you do get a chance, in two weeks try out the new Avast 4.19 which currently with all modules enabled runs at under 15mb.

13. hollywoodpc

I might just do that to see how it fares . Are you saying a new updated version is coming in about two weeks ?

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Yep, I am running the beta right now, pretty good and very tight mem use.

15. hollywoodpc

Is it public beta ? I do not wish to be part of their beat team . Just want to test it out for myself and report on what I find to people that care . Thanks dude .

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry but comparing AVs only with VB100% is BS. Especially not in eTrust case...

17. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IMO, for newbies who are safe surfers and do not like tweaking settings; Etrust.

Otherwise, Avast. Detection rates of the two are also shown here and here.

Overall, Avast would give better protection against zoo malware. Both programs are weak in support for packed files, but Avast is better in archive support.
    I disagee here, particularly with support.The Avast forum is superb!

18. Arup

Arup Guest

hollywood,

Its public beta, in case you are interested to do some testing, download Avast home, install it, reboot and update VPS, then download hxxp://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe and click on it, this will install the latest beta.

Tell me how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
  19. hollywoodpc

Thanks Arup . Is this the 4.19 ? And , is a newer one on the way ?

20. Arup

Arup Guest

This is the version slated to be released in two weeks pending feedback.

21. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I am currently running Avast on all my home computers, and thought the other might be better since it is a pay antivirus, except for getting it free for one year through microsoft.

22. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Effectiveness between the two as to who's better with detection can be an endless debate, depending on which site you read...but one thing I can state, after installing quite a few of the two on various PC...

eTrust is a heck of a lot "lighter"...doesn't bog down PCs as much. Each machine I put Avast on...the next reboot..and all after...are painfully slow. Even the end users complain about that...."Why is my PC so slow now?" I always here.

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Funny, apart from Clam, Anti Vir and F-Prot, all other AV will slow down PC, try putting a KAV on a 500MHz Celeron with 64MB RAM, you will see my point, in terms of speed impact among full featured anti virus, Avast is not the only one that slows machine down. eTrust doesn't have many of Avast's modules so I expect it to be faster, but then for speed I will take Anti Vir any day. As I said, Avast's network scanner will protect you from DCOM and Sasser exploits in case your firewall compromises you.

Slovak,

If you feel better and wish to support future Avast dev, you can pay for the pro one, point is, the free version offers everything the pro does except for script blocking and advanced interface, maybe Alwil should now seriously think about removing some features on the Home version to get truly appreciated.

24. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Forgot NOD32. :D

And just keeping your windows updates up to date, your OS can shrug off most of those DCOM bad guys even without antivirus protection.

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Try Dr Web, Command AV, VBA32, AVP 3.5 ;)
    IME, AVP 3.5, KAV 5 and KAV 2006 beta will run quite happily on old machines such as this one. And even KAV 4.5 will if properly tweaked.

Most people who report that KAV is a resource hog have either simply reported other people's experiences, have used the default settings without the necessary tweaks or have installed AVP/KAV on a machine which has not had previously installed AV's completely removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.