Which Linux Distro do you run and why ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NGRhodes, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I had terrible printing problems yesterday.
    Needed to print 36 page word doc.
    Firstly open office totally failled to print it.
    So tried across the network off my laptop from MS Office, still would'nt print.
    Coverted the file to PDF and the file started printing no problems.
    Printer stops at page 4, no error from printer, it thinks its still in the middle of printing.
    So I turn it on and off and pages 1-4 come out again.
    Restart the printer, then restart cups.
    Still same problem.
    So, I recreate the PDF from pages 5 to 36.
    Prints to page 18 and stops.
    Restart printer, restart cups.
    Manages pages 19 to 31 this time.
    Restart printer, restart cups.
    Last 5 pages come out.

Not sure if its a driver issue or a cups/ghostscript issue... got some alternate drivers to try out, but need to get this sorted as sometimes I need to print 200-300 pages in one go and this is gonna be a pain.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    What printer?
    Try exporting your document to .ps (postscript) - then print it.
    Mrk

3. NGRhodes

I would of thought PDF'ing will have the same effect as I can lpr a pdf, but will give it a try.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Typing from Kubuntu, inside VirtualBox (by the way great program), using this Konqueror.
    I'm thinking about giving up on Debian, and going for this straightforward OS. Using KDE really reduces the inicial weirdness. Things are not upsidedown.

Debian is a bit alien for me. I can install it, but not without trying real hard to figure out what the hell they're talking about half the install. Super weird, and a no go for now. Kubuntu is Debian based, sure, but better, in that i can understand it. So i get best of both worlds.
    I just don't know if i will be able to make sound work good when installing it for real. And what drivers are sub-optimal.

Next PC i buy will have to be compatible. It will be my main criteria. If it only works for Windows, it's not really a ready to use computer, but a Windows terminal. Lets see how things work out in a Toshiba Laptop. I can't wait, but i have to...

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That makes two out of two! The questions are pertinent, that's for sure:thumb:
    Notice that there are alternatives in the bottom.

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    It found no matches for me....!!!
    Mrk

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

It's likely I'm going to give Linux a try and I'm wondering why no one has mentioned Linspire or Freespire?

From what I've read, they are based on Ubuntu and are the most user-friendly of all Linux distros for those with familiarity with Windows!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Share the results!:)

11. NGRhodes

As of last night both my Machines (server and laptop) are running Linux.

Installed cAos on my laptop last night, running a treat (and surprisingly quick).

Got an issue with the wireless disconnecting every 10 mins, but not had chance to investigate that yet, using a bcm43xx driver and WPA stuff - my friends laptop works fine, so its gotta be a driver or config issue.

12. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    nick, did you solve the printing issue?
    Someone, as to my results, I don't remember what I answered. A bit of this and that - and no match found. This means that I'm not meant to be using Linux - or just use any distro ...
    Mrk

13. NGRhodes

Hi, not yet.

Drivers were tested for ghostscript 8.15, we are on the last of the 7's for some reason ! So once wireless is up we are going to package up GS 8.54 and test that out, I also have some alternate drivers to try after that. But I dont need to do any important print jobs for a while so not in a huge rush.

14. NGRhodes

Found some newer drivers and they are Belkins own, using them over the generic broadcom ones I was using so far 100% reliable tonight and connects in half the time.

Cheers, Nick.

15. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hi there ;)

New happy user of Knoppix 5.11 (LiveCd, of course, but also hard-drive install!) which impressed me very much lately.

Still learning about it and how to take full adavantage of it, but no doubt I'm hooked. It boots in no time, and a complete install of the system takes a few minutes to complete. What a difference with the usual time Windows needs to install!

It now cohabits on my laptop with WXPSP2, about which I'm quiet happy also. (I guess I only need an additional MacOS to complete the team and make me the happiest guy in the world.)

Cheers

16. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Gentoo and Debian always my favorite. I’m going to try PC-BSD when I have free time.

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Has anyone tried Sabayon Linux? It´s based on Gentoo, but it´s more user-friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.