Which linux distro caters to all user groups?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Coolio10, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

What linux distribution offers all user groups from newbies to pros a good desktop experience?

I assume it would have to be one of the major distros to be easy enough for newbies.

I am an intermediate windows user, and the first time i tried Ubuntu i felt their was not enough to play around with and everything is too simple. I also disliked the configuration and administration from a scrolling menu.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Ubuntu gained popularity early on as an easy to use distro for those coming from the Windows world.

LinuxMint is gaining poularity fast...it's based on Ubuntu, and comes with a few more things integrated to make it even easier and more welcoming to the *nix newbie.

PCLinux is another great one, as well as OpenSUSE.

A great resource to look at which lists many distros and has a brief blurb about each one.. http://distrowatch.com/

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Mandriva is quite good in that regard.
    try Mandriva "one" live CD.

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Ubuntu. Its fairly easy learning curve for newbies because its based on Debian. It also has more than enough software to cater to the pros. You don't have to use the command line but there are times when its faster than a GUI front end like synaptic.

5. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

While there are distros that fit most of the needs of a wide range of users, (Mint 7 being my first choice,) one of the biggest advantages of Linux is that there isn't a "one size fits all" mentality. There are different distros simply because people are different.

You said it yourself. You don't like Ubuntu and yet it is the most popular distro out there!! In fact, most Linux users can't settle on one distro even for themselves!! Most of us have at least two or three installed.

If you don't feel Ubuntu is enough if a challenge for you then try Arch. But not by itself. Install it in addition to Ubuntu rather than instead of Ubuntu.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Try Fedora. It is a good "medium" difficulty distro -- it doesn't spoon feed you but it doesn't make your life miserable either.

If you want your life to be difficult (but fun) then try Arch. If you want it to be even more difficult, then go with Gentoo.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Arch isnt that hard. If you follow their wiki, it isnt too painful.

8. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

As has been stated here the best distro for each person will differ according to their individual requirements.My own favourite is Dreamlinux,a Debian based distro.

http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/index.html

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hey try mint linux (based of ubuntu making it more easy) or pc linux (based on Mandriva) as far i see they are the most easiest ones .......:)

11. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

You obviously missed the Synaptic button. There are thousands of apps to "play around with."

12. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Synaptic is the default package manager for Ubuntu and PCLOS. Its very easy to use. All dependencies are taken of. There are literally thousands of open source packages available.

13. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You must have a very high threshold of pain, friend.
    Arch, Gentoo, well ... if you like to get your hands dirty, then by all means.
    Mrk

15. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Arch is a pain to setup but very easy to maintain. I wouldn't recommend it to new users unless they had a huge willingness to learn.

16. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

17. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Ubuntu community used to be good but now there is to many users that sometimes nobody is willing (having time) to help you ...

Im back to Debian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.