Which linux distro are you using?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, Nov 29, 2013.

?

Which linux distro are you using?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2015.
  1. Mint

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Debian

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Ubuntu

24 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. Mageia

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. Fedora

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. openSUSE

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. PCLinuxOS

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. Manjaro

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Arch

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. Puppy

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  11. CentOS

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  12. FreeBSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Zorin

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  14. CrunchBang

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. elementary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Lubuntu

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  17. Slackware

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  18. Bodhi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Kali

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. SparkyLinux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Kubuntu

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  22. Simplicity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Sabayon

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  24. Xubuntu

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  25. Ghost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. GhostBSD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. Ultimate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. Lite

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  29. antiX

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  30. RedHat

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  31. Antergos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  32. LXLE

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  33. Peppermint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  34. Chakra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  35. Other (please specify)

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  36. Im a windows/mac user but I would love to see what distros are popular in here

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

Thanks for mentioning. I read about this OS at prism-break but never really cared to try it out. I started the livecd yesterday and I liked what I saw. I like the philosophy you explained (and what I read about it afterwards). I will give it a try but maybe I will use an older installer because I am not so firm with all the scripts and the old installation tool looks a lot easier. At the moment I don't have a second computer to run parallel and check in case of an error.

@all
    Do you think it's a problem using an outdated package and updating afterwards (with Arch)?

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Sort of wondered the same thing, but more in the line of those 27, who is actually using Linux as their primary or only operating system?

At home we (wife and kids) have three desktops and three laptops. All of them use Linux exclusively except for my primary desktop. It has Windows installed in a virtual machine (VirtualBox).

3. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

It may cause issues because there are deprecated settings or fundemental changes. It is best to follow a latest arch installation guide if you want to install arch or parabola.

4. snerd

snerd Registered Member

5. Balthazar

Thanks for your answer. In the meantime I did try to install it (with mixed feelings) using an old package and it got stuck trying to fetch the packages. I couldn't select anything. Eventually I had to abort the installation.

I will try to follow the latest arch installation guide although for me it is like flying a plane without knowing how to land. I might enjoy the flight, the view, the feeling but in the end…

I liked the parabola installation guide for the old installation tool. For the latest installation package i will have to compile the scripts from 50 pages (to be fair, most of them linking to the arch wiki).
    I better get started! :)

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm one of the 2 Arch users.

7. Balthazar

Any idea on the following?

A little update on my attempt to install Parabola. I could only access the main page of the wiki the last 24 hours. The rest, including the download page, has been offline. (There has been “an outage in the physical infrastructure”). Therefore, I decided to install Arch Linux and maybe afterwards migrate to Parabola. (I had problems with the Parabola live-dvd, strangely the dvd-drive had trouble recognizing the disc/iso even after burning the iso twice)

Everything went smooth, a little bit too easy I thought (having in mind many complaints). After installing I had only Arch Linux in Grub. I tried to load Arch Linux and there was a problem with the Kernel. It looked like the same problem I had with Qubes after the latest update. Anyway, I had to restore Grub in order to get online. I did it in Crunchbang. Now the strangest thing happened and I don’t know how and why.

I didn’t find Arch in my list of operating systems, like I didn’t even install it. Something caught my eye; Qubes had been assigned to sda7, the partition on which I installed Arch. (Qubes should’ve been on sda10). I prepared sda7 under Linux Mint, so that I could spare me the work with Arch. I just wanted to mount the partition (of course, I did). When trying to start Qubes, Arch is starting and apparently is using the Kernel (?) or some file from Qubes because it’s in the file name.

I can login with my root password for Arch but unfortunately, my network is making trouble again. I think maybe something is missing in the hosts config. Another thing: sometimes the keyboard doesn’t seem to work while trying to login. After 3 failed attempts it worked.

My preliminary conclusion: the installation process isn’t as difficult as I thought (with the right manual) but dealing with errors makes it very hard for me. Especially this “magic merging” with Qubes is very strange. I checked the partitions with gparted in Linux Mint and while installing Arch. o_O

PS: I am not sad that Qubes is apparantly gone because I wanted to reinstall it anyway as soon as version 2.3 was out (I am glad that my windows is working, though :D )

8. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Linux Mint 16 MATE.

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm sorry, but I have no idea. I'm new to Linux and can only recommend following the Arch wiki Beginners' Guide very carefully. I strayed off in a few spots, but only after carefully researching what I was doing.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

openSUSE x64 13.1 xfce desktop. A wonderfully stable distro :)

11. Balthazar

Thanks for your reply. I decided to delete Ubuntu and what was left of Qubes (will try and install it again later). I installed Manjaro and Parabola instead. I like the style of Manjaro but have to try it out for a longer time. I really like Parabola. It's very fast and I learned a lot while installing it. I like the GNU Icecat very much as well.

@pandorax
    Which email client are you using? Claws Mail? I haven't decided yet, still working on the fine tuning.

12. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Ubuntu as primary, now experimenting with OpenSuse. Started out with [and continuing to use] both Knoppix [should be part of the multiple choice possibilities IMHO] and PartedMagic live cd's.

13. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Using CentOS on VMware

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Ubuntu Trusty Tahr LTS.

15. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I'm not using Linux for the time being.
    In the past, I used Mint Cinnamon.

16. russ0408

russ0408 Registered Member

I switched from windows 8.1.1 to ubuntu 14.10. Its taking me a lot of reading and videos for beginners, but I'm slowly getting used to ubuntu. The reason I switched was because every day there seemed to be a new problem popping up with windows. Not booting right always something. So I'm slowly but surely getting used to ubuntu and liking it.

17. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Using mint 17 at the moment.I have tried opensuse 13.1 but i didnt like how the software manager works.I find installing software from the repos far more of an easier task in mint than opensuse.

Also im a relative newbie to linux and i discovered that installing keepass on opensuse was going to be a headache for me as it entailed downloading and installing tar files etc.

18. tlu

tlu Guest

I've been running Arch Linux for about 8 months and am happy with it. I had been using Kubuntu for many years and liked it. But it's the rolling release concept of Arch which fascinated me. And it does that really well while other distros with smaller development teams gave up on that. SolydK is no longer rolling, and Linux Mint Debian Edition is back to Debian Stable and "no it won’t be rolling or semi-rolling anymore". Other alternatives would be Gentoo (or Sabayon) and openSuSe Tumbleweed but I haven't tried them yet.

19. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Shocked I'm the only one voting Mageia. Mint is good, but Mageia takes security to such high levels.

20. tlu

tlu Guest

In what way? Could you elaborate?

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hi, tlu, what desktop environment when you say Arch? BTW, their wiki is one of the best.

22. tlu

tlu Guest

I'm a KDE fanboy ;) I'm still on KDE4 although Plasma 5 is offered as an alternative. However, I'm going to try SDDM as my new display manager since KDM is no longer supported in Plasma 5.

Absolutely. If you wanna try it, the Beginner's Guide is great. Although installation should be no problem if you follow this guide meticulously, Evo/Lution might be a possibly easier alternative.

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It's been a couple of years since I used any Linux other than for malware remediation. But Mageia back then had self auditing, intrusion detection, and some other stuff. No idea what they are doing now but I used to love it.

https://doc.mageia.org/mcc/4/en/content/msecgui.html

24. tlu

tlu Guest

Thanks! This reminds me a bit of Bastille Linux.

25. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I dualboot Zorin along with W8.1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.