which is the lightest browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mr mister, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr mister

mr mister Registered Member

hi
    i simply want to know which is the one browser which uses the least resources
    thank you

2. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

Use Memory of IE7 on Windows Task Manager : iexplore.exe :

Without site : 20644 Kb

With site ( 1 Page of Wilders ) : 28436 Kb

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

IMO it is K-meleon, by a long shot...

Sul.

4. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Sully

Which version of K-Meleon you mean :

- currentversion K-M 1.1.6
    - current version K-M 1.50
    - Hao's CCFME build 0.085

or some other

SKA

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

The standard browser is very light. Versions 1.10 - 1.16 were all solid lightweight browsers. The new version 1.50 is just as light, but now has some pretty good new features, the most significant IMO is the true tabs instead of layers.

I have been an Opera fan for many years, back when dialup was all there was, and fast modems were running at 33k. Opera was most definately a fast browser, and pretty darn lightweight as well. However, I don't really care for it now that it does 101 things.

I have been using K-meleon since version 1.02 (at least that is the oldest version I kept lol ), and have always used it on very old laptops, like p133's. It has always been very easy and fast.

Now I use it pretty much all the time. It loads faster, shuts down faster, loads pages as fast, has tabs, has open last session. The only thing it does not have is a download manager, although there are plenty to choose from that will work with Kmeleon.

I can't say enough good about it honestly. I used to push Opera on everyone I know. I still support pIII 700's, running w2k, which are plenty enough for simple spreadsheet/word/email/browsing in a small business. The latest versions of Opera & Firefox (both OP 8 & 9 and FF 2 & 3) are very much slower than K-meleon. I am not about to perform tests that prove it, but everyday use is enough to convince me. It is just plain faster. If you like all the knick-knacks in the other browsers, then K-meleon might be somewhat lacking. But for me, it is the most responsive one that I know of.

HTH.

Sul.

6. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

K-Meleon is my everyday browser and it is light 'n' fast, but I don't need to add on the excellent Sully's post about it. Note that I'm using it with Proxomitron and the NoScript extension and that make is even faster and more secure.

Another light one is the kinda plain Off By One Web Browser, as fast but not in the same league on features side. The advantage is that it would run even smoothlier on old systems.

7. norky

norky Registered Member

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Lynx is text only, as I recall. Ergo, comparing Lynx to a full-capability modern browser is tantamount to comparing a tricycle to a Harley-Davidson. :)

As to K-meleon (KM) -- all versions of KM have very light footprints. KM uses the same Gecko engine as Firefox (FF) but KM is lighter than FF because it uses the native Windows UI rather than Firefox's XUL. However, if FF is run without major add-on's, the difference in speed & footprint versus KM is negligible.

As is true for all tabbed browsers -- the more tabs you have open, the heavier the footprint.

I have not personally tested the Google Chrome browser, but I have *heard* that it is lightest of all. Be aware -- it's still a beta & very austere.

9. norky

norky Registered Member

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Interesting........Opera comes out looking the most balanced.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, I thought the same thing.

I still think Opera is a great browser overall. I also think it's memory usage has gone up since about version 8.4 or so. And I don't need or want half of what is in it now. So K-mel may not be as 'good', but it sure is fast and easy.

Sul.

12. icr

icr Registered Member

13. Balatsokas

Balatsokas Former Poster

I always cared about the possibly -Safest- browser; not the -Lightest- one.
    After testing most browsers, by visiting the most Dangerous places on the Internet (...),
    I ended up with Opera. It remained stable when the others crashed, were frozen etc.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I always went for the fastest browser...... speed 1st. Nothing bothers me more than a sluggish response in browsing. Fortunately Opera has both, speed and safety....

15. Arup

Arup Guest

I agree and its also among the safest. :thumb:

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used Opera since it's inception and it is a very good fast safe browser.

17. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it's another one of the IE shells like SlimBrowser and a few others....

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes, I agree, Opera is uber. But what of the resource usage as of late? Do you find it to be 'larger' than in days of yester-year? I do.

Sul.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Yes but don't forget its a complete suite offering much more so the comparison of memory use with open tabs even with stand alone browsers is quite good actually,

21. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Or, when you want to use Opera as a browser only, you will benefit by keeping handy a shortcut to start it faster this way:

"C:\Program Files\Opera 9\opera.exe" -nomail -nolirc

22. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I have been using K-Melion for quite awhile.
    I am completely satisfied with it.
    One thing for sure, use IE as seldom as possible.
    I have to use it to play Hearts on the MSN site
    but nowhere else.

23. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Very nice. I did not think to look at start parameters. Thanks!

Sul.

24. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Yes, and TheWorld Browser Final_2.3.1.1 ...

2.48 Mb on Program Files ...

TheWorld.exe : Use Memory 26000 Kb; Handles 409 Kb; Threads 21 ...( without site ).

Fast, safe, easy ... It will revolutionize your internet experience ...

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Isnt' World Browser an IE shell like Avant and Maxthon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.