Which is more important ? processor or system bus ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by 031, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 031

031 Registered Member

My current machine is intel 945gccr motherboadrd , intel e4300 core2 duo processor (1.8 ghz) . Now my processor supports 800 mhz fsb but my motherboard supports only 533 mhz (memory ) As a result my system bus is 533 mhz. Now i have two options (because of lack of $$$ :oops: )

1: upgrade the motherboard so that my system bus is raised to 800 mhz.
    2: Or to get a new core2duo processor (2.2 ghz)

Both these option will cause almost the same amount of money because if i upgrade the motherboard i will also have to upgrade the ram . Now what should i do ? I have total faith on wilders community .
    Thanks.

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Not sure if I would completely agree with you on this. :p

From my ancient PC classes back from the 1980's, I was taught that the system bus was usually the bottleneck in moving data within your system. So I don't see how upgrading the CPU would buy you an increase in system speed. Getting a new motherboard will require new RAM and might result in a larger total cost. I would focus on system throughput and not that much on internal CPU speed. There are others that may have a different opinion on this matter. That's my 2 cents worth which isn't much since I was educated from the pre-historic PC days. :ouch:

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Without any doubt,the motherboard should be replaced ,just too basic and primitive and would be chocking any real performance potential

I would buy a Gigabyte P45DS3R board (or even the P35 version)more -excellent value,up to date and fast.

Also get 2 or 4ghz of DDR2 memory-not expensive.

There is nothing wrong with the highly regarded E4300 chip more and while it is one of the earlier dual core models,should give very satisfactory use.

Try overclocking it to around 3ghz-not difficult and you would have a very fast system. :thumb:

Replacing the CPU is going to have negligible effect with a mobo like your existing one.

4. 031

031 Registered Member

Thans ccsito and Hairy Coo . I will go for the motherboard then . Another question, which motherboard would be relatively better ? intel or gigabyte ?
    thanks again :)

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Its like putting a V8 in a Pinto, if the bus can't handle the speed, all the CPU power goes to waste.

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Read my last post again-exactly the board to get and it aint Intel

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Intel boards have 3 year warranty are are well designed with sturdy caps and component. They are meant for stability, for overclocking go with the Gigabyte.

8. 031

031 Registered Member

Thanks everyone for helping me out :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would go for an abit or asus board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.