Which is easier to understand for computer novice RegDefend or ProcessGuard

Discussion in 'polls' started by The Hammer, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It took me a while to understand NOD after using Norton. So I'm wondering which program is better for a novice. The best protection is no protection if the user does not understand the program.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

RegDefend is probably a bit easier to install than ProcessGuard, but I think ProcessGuard is the more important of the two programs. If you follow the instructions that are given on the ProcessGuard forum you should have no problems. But you probably can ask users on the forum who have just installed regarding any issues that they encountered.

Both are fairly "quiet" once they are installed, unless you are doing program updates, in which case you will get alert messages. Once you start getting the alert messages during updates (the most likely circumstance), you will begin to understand the messages more and more by looking at the info they are providing. This will prepare you for the time that you may get an Alert from a malicious program.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

3. The Hammer

Yes it does help as I thought the two programs were competitors doing pretty much the same thing.

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Yes, the products are quite different. ProcessGuard:

1) Protects apps from being shut-down without permission (hence the name)
    2) Prevents unauthorized executables from executing without permission (you receive alerts whenever a new/changed executable is seeking permission to execute
    3) Prevents unuathorized services, drivers, rootkits and programs seeking global hooks (e.g. keyloggers) from being installed on your system.
    4) Logs alerts (authorized and unauthorized events)
    5) Protects physical memory and DLL injection

It is a very powerful, sentry-like program for executables.

RegDefend is also very powerful, especially with the extended group entries that have been very graciously shared with users by Kent and Tony Klein. RegDefend alerts you whenever a program is trying to update a registry area that is being protected by RegDefend. This is pro-active, in the sense that no entry is allowed until you, as a user, permit it (as opposed to undoing an entry after-the-fact). Since many trojans and spyware use the registry to instantiate themselves in the system, RegDefend guards against these type of entries, adding another layer of protection (e.g. in the case that some malicous program gets past you AV/AT screen).

Both are excellent programs and use practically no resources.

Rich

5. The Hammer

I believe thatin another forum you said that SafeNsecure provided similar protection to these two products. Would it be better as it is a single product as opposed to having two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.