Which is better Dr.Web or AntiVir?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandon, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Im currently running AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic for 9x and I really like it. But I have also heard about Dr.Web and it sounds good. So Im just wondering which provides better protection.

Regards,

Brandon

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Click online results at Av Comparatives for some test results. http://www.av-comparatives.org/

3. Brandon

It seems that AntiVir is better then Dr.Web and its free..I forgot about av-comparatives, thanks

Regards,

Brandon

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Av-Comparatives do list a number of other important things you should consider before choosing an Antivirus and warn detection rate is just one aspect to consider.

5. Brandon

Yes, I know that.

Does anybody know what ways Dr.Web differs from AntiVir Free as in different program modules etc..

Regards,

Brandon

6. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Antivir does not scan incoming email, to some this does not matter because Antivir will catch it upon opening and DrWeb does have pop3 email scanning. The biggest advantage to me is DrWeb updates silently in the background every hour or whatever increment you set it to update. Updating of Antivir has always been an issue for people unless you wait until certain times to update but it is not silent when it does. With DrWeb you can choose the modules you wish.
    Antivir may have a bit better detection capabilities, but not enough to justify the noisy updating, IMHO.

7. Brandon

I dont really mind the updating, just thats its slow downloading the files. I dont really care for the scanning email monitor either.

Does the 3.2b version of Dr.Web have spyware/adware detection or is that only 3.3 beta?

Regards,

Brandon

8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

The spyware/adware defs can be dl'ed and installed manually 3.2b. I believe that in 3.3 they will incorporated with DrWeb.
    They seem to work well.

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Just register for Beta testing on DrWEBs site right on the front page and they will send you a password to download the adware/spyware files. It takes just a few minutes. Once they are downloaded just copy/paste them into DrWEBs folder and you are good to go. Working good for me so far... :cool:

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

When you delete your spam-emails immediately without even opening them,
    is it really necessary that your spam-emails are scanned by any AV ?

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

ITW detection over at Virus Bulletin shows that both Dr Web and AntiVir don't have the best of overall records. However, after failing in its first 8 attempts Antivir has now passed all VB tests since April 2004.

Zoo malware detection over at av-comparatives in the recent August test, showed Dr Web dropping back to a Standard level whereas AntiVir has jumped up to the Advanced category. A closer inspection of these results indicates that this difference maybe due to AntiVir being much faster in adding previously "missed" malware to their database.

Therefore it would appear that overall AntiVir has significantly improved its detection rate of late which appears to be at least on par with Dr Web, if not now slightly better.
    Agree. IME, even on cable, the servers for the free edition can be slow.

However, the relatively new Premium edition looks promising with its "exclusive" download server.

This commercial version with its ability to scan for adware/spyware/ and POP3 scanner will give Dr Web and other AV's a serious challenge when incremental updating is implemented. So much so that I am seriously considering a license purchase for AntiVir Premium.

Overall, with the new version 7 on the horizon, IMO, AntiVir may challenge NOD for the most improved AV in the last 12-18 months.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  12. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Speaking of Antivir, it deleted my mcupdate.exe a minute ago....pretty strong stuff.

13. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

how much is the commercial version in american?

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

mcupdate.exe is a McAfee component, so that can't be good. o_O

16. SimonCC

SimonCC Registered Member

I guess you had it set to delete viruses without prompting the user. That is madness! :p

17. Blackcat

The Personal Premium version is $24.

18. Brandon

Once that is done is the spyware/adware updated automatically?

No AV scans mine. I just dont open any emails from people I dont know.

Is there a site where I could buy the Premium through US Dollars not Euros? if so provide a link, thanks

Regards,

Brandon

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Like there was never any malware named exactly as legit apps just in wrong location? remeber those iexplore.exe/explorer.exe in System32 folder?
    I even saw some named exactly as KAV process with KAV icon (Win32/PSW.LdPinch trojan)

20. Blackcat

No. You have to manually download to the Dr Web folder. I download once a week.
    Steel City Security are the authorized resellers for HBEDV in the USA and Canada; http://www.steelcitysecurity.com/

But at the present time they only have the professional version on their site. So maybe worth sending them an email?

21. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Don't worry about whether it's in Euros or Dollars, if you pay with a credit card, the credit card company does the conversion for you (you can check conversion rates at many places on the web). Basically, find the cheapest and let your credit card company take care of the rest.

22. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

23. Brandon

Will the 3.3 version of Dr.Web be available for windows 9x when its done beta testing?

Thanks for the link :)

Regards,

Brandon

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks for answering my question. For awhile I thought, they forgot me in this thread. :D
    That's what I thought too about scanning emails, I just wasn't sure and needed a second opinion.

25. Brandon

No problem Erik :)

Regards,

Brandon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.