Which is better Antivir/Classic or AVAST "free"

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. LambChop

LambChop Registered Member

I am afraid that AntiVir 7 has turned most of us OFF!
    Many of us just got sick of the P**S poor attitude and the impossible update problems!
    An antivirus program that you cannot update is WORTHLESS!

And having a 'free' program that the authors state outright -- 'does not pay the bills, and is therefore of little concern' -- just about says it all!
    IMO :(

Add to all of that, the darn 'nag screen' -- and you have a package that belongs in every File 13 and not on my computer!
    Antivir has yet to learn -- what the folks over at Opera browser had to learn about 'nag screens'.

I vote for AVAST! even though I cannot use it!

3. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

AntiVir Version 7 is tops for me.

Had been a Loyal NAV subscriber since it was $3 per annum (9 years ago),
    and after earlier jumping from a paid-up NPF to ZoneAlarm and seeing how much better it was than Norton's,
    switched to AntiVir (6) one month ago.

I was just lucky that when I saw that the VDF update wanted to load an 11MB UpGrade on me,
    that I stopped the process.
    We can thank their "NagScreen" for this, as I had jumped to the conclusion that they were
    "upgrading" me to the "Pay Euros" version.

Lucky again that H+BEDV pulled (7) from the Server long enough for me to get totally scared and enlightened
    by all the posts on their and other Forums.

Following all the advice gleaned from this (including at least):
    1. Download whole Program from Main Server in wee hours German time.
    2. Make sure that it was "Build" 125, (not 124, that was buggy).
    3. a. Turn off "Tea-Timer" (took that to mean SpyBot's 'Immunize') as well as AV Guard and ZoneAlarm.
    3. b. Completely UnInstall Version (6) used the Program's Uninstall which had just been updated during a failed VDF load.
    3. c. And I also used Norton CleanSweep to assure that all Registry items were removed and save the recommended REGEDIT.
    3. d. Since I had unzipped the package, I used Setup.exe from the "basic' Folder.
    4. Keep ZoneAlarm turned off (and turn-on CleanSweep:cool: ) denied "Internet UpDate" until after rebooting.

:oops: (major screwup was that I had unzipped the installer and renamed its Main Program, but install still seemed perfecto_O )

I had considered Avast, even downloaded its install program (10.3MB)
    but a quick read of their Forum was enough to get me to try AntiVir (7).:D

I have experienced none of the issues that others have complained about, the auto-update is working well,
    it catches Email attached virus (if attempted to open)
    and has a much simpler, cleaner Console than before.

One of my concerns with AntiVir (6) had been that it would do a complete computer scan in two to five minutes (including Documents).

AntiVir (7) has put that to rest, first scan was six and a half hours, second was four and a half hours and I need that much sleep:cautious:

I would suppose I could speed it up, if I could configure it not to unpack and scan every CAB on my system:)

My system is a Dell D800 WinXP(SP2) with 30+GB (60'GB' HD), ZoneAlarm and Norton Systemworks minus NAV.

My backup is a '97 Dell Latitude LM Win98 that I have also loaded with AntiVir6,
    (AntiVir9x) I will paste the VDF files from AntiVir7 to it, as Version (7) is for Win98SP+o_O

4. acier

acier Registered Member

I used to use Antivir v6 and was quite impressed with the free product, however, with the release of v7, I have had nothing but grief with it - installation issues, sytem hangs, update failures etc. This on more than one pc and using Win98SE and XP Pro. I made the decision to move to Avast and have found the product to work very well. Depending on which test results you believe, the two products are relatively close performance-wise. Avast is doing essentially what I need a free a/v to do, kudos due.

This page has some interesting results:
    hxxp://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=72&mnu=72
    (replace the "xx" of course)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Today we don't have to much virus, but a lot of trojans, worms and spyware, and since the free version of AntiVir doesn't protect us agaisnt spyware, why use it when we have a much better option out there that is avast! Home...

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Given the reported issues many users are having with the new AntiVir 7, I'd have to vote for Avast at this time also, at least until some of the problems are worked out of AntiVir. Both are good IMO, but Avast is certainly clean and tight at the moment, where AntiVir is not. And there is certainly no comparison on updates, Avast wins hands down with ease there..

7. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

They may win the prize for worst product introduction but a vast number of people still like antivir because its light and does its work well.
    When they fix the updating and popup they will make many friends again.

8. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

For that you have to change your settings in the expert mode.
    Expert settings/general/extendedthreatcategories/select all/ok

9. TOOEVL

TOOEVL Registered Member

There's only one choice here,and thats AVAST

Antivir-- 1)updating is nonfunctional,which leaves a computer unprotected
    2)adware
    3)poor customer support

Avast-- 1) updates fast and trouble free!
    2) no ads!
    3) good customer care on their website and also email

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im a premium user , and they havent listened (or rather replied) to any of my concerns regarding version 7 ,including the configuration screen being too big for a 98 0S on 800x600 ,which i regard as a fault ..bug call it what you will.In fact from being very happy with version 6 and thinking that i will quite happily use this AV for the forseeable future ,ive gone to looking for a replacement.Yes its light ,and detection is good ,but the support is crap ,and the lack or customer concern leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.In view of this i really do not believe that antivir people at present really ,gives a toss ,about free users concerns over the notifier or the updating ,and that wildmans posts concerning this and other topics are in reality ,not that far off the mark.
    ellison

11. wildman

wildman Registered Member

Thank YOU!

Thanks
    Wildman

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to agree also, so there's another vote for you Wildman.. :)

It's very disappointing that an otherwise good product seems to be going down the drain unnecessarily. I myself have removed it now and am using something else. And to be honest, just the notifier irritation alone is enough for me to drop it on principle, if nothing else.

13. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Another one here, had antivir ver 6 on my wifes puter which ran fine --no probs until the ver 7 update when all hell let loose, several bugs-- wouldnt update etc etc. now just uninstalled the bloody thing. Glad to see the back of it.
    On my PC I have Avast home which runs trouble free.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask, if anybody knows for sure, that out of Antivir classic and Avast which one can additionally protect somewaht against spyware and trojans.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The free version of AntiVir doesn't have Adware/Spyware detection.

16. stefan_c38

stefan_c38 Registered Member

Corect.The button is there but is not making any diference in antivir personal.

17. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

If you wanna go for Avast, be my guest.

I think AntiVir 7 should have stayed beta for some further time.

Having said that, I'd like to emphasize that lots of good companies, when going for improvement, may not quite hit the bull's eye directly every time. See what just happened to the otherwise excellent Agnitum's Outpost, with the current 3.5. Nobody would dare say that company is crap just because this particular version is buggy. Acronis's past months's products line may be another spectacular example.

AntiVir 6 (free edition) served me VERY well for years. Still does today, and will until version 7 has reached full maturity. Just give those guys some slack. For my part, I regularly download the static updated signatures from http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html and paste them into the program's folder, then delete the previous incremental .vdf files. That's all. AntiVir 6 running as smooth as ever.

Why always go for the newest version of a product just because it's "brand new"? I think it's a ridiculous reflex. Just give things some time to reach maturity. No special need to fix that which ain't broken, either.

As far as many users's exaggerated/infuriated reaction to this bugged version 7 not performing up to their desire, remember that if those same users 'd been somewhat consistent over the past years, they'd dropped M$ OS's a million times and gone for Linux long ago...

Just my few thoughts.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  18. pilotart

Yes, but that is the URL to Download the Version 7 Program.

I used: http://dl1.avgate.net/upd/vdf/

Index of /upd/vdf
    Icon Name Last modified Size Description[DIR] Parent Directory -
    [ ] antivir.vdf.gz 22-Nov-2005 14:27 4.5M
    [ ] antivir0.vdf.gz 16-Feb-2006 18:09 4.1M
    [ ] antivir1.vdf.gz 16-Feb-2006 18:09 1.1M
    [ ] antivir2.vdf.gz 16-Feb-2006 18:09 95K
    [ ] antivir3.vdf.gz 16-Feb-2006 18:09 27K
    Icon Name Last modified Size -

Just UnZip to your AntiVir Program Folder and they will replace existing files of same name,
    most often only need 2's & 3's:)

Not wanting to Bash H&BEDV at all (with such a fine free product!!) but it seems that what got a lot of users
    into serious trouble with Version 7 was that Automatic Upgrade that snuck in with an update of the virus sigs..

As a fairly new user of Ver.(6), I was just lucky that it followed the first NagScreen I had seen and I assumed
    the 11MB Download was the Pay Version and halted it. this gave me the time to sort it out and do a clean install.:D

For sure, Microsoft may introduce a new OS this year and it will be difficult but very worthwhile to wait another six months.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  19. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Right :) Sorry, I gave the wrong link... :rolleyes: Buggy me ;)
    Cheers

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Many people had no choice upgrading to version 7as it was in the download ,and then had a hell of a time uninstalling it ,having to delete a registry key etc ,to reinstall version 6.That is riduculous.You are correct...there is nothing wrong with version 6 and most people (apart from those with update issues which were quite considerable) were very happy with it.Your quite happy to download manually and paste ,and delete the previous .vdf files ,however that is no solution for a first time computer user ,and personally i dont think you should have to do that if the version that was released was acceptable ,and had an update function.As for not fixing what isnt broken...tell that to HBEDV....in fact they ve gone the other way with version 7 and broken what was an excellent av.Even the antivir splash when clicking the tray icon 9on premium ...i guess on classic too?) is pissing me off latley.Why is that there for gods sake?.Fair enough at system boot up ,but when its loaded i dont really want a splash ,opening the damn programe.Version 6 didnt have it .I think its time for me to have a good drink and forget about avs for the weekend ;)
    ellison

21. LambChop

Gee that would be so great -- the only problem is -- access has now been withdrawn!

Do you think they -- don't want us to be able to get our own updates?
    o_O

Attached Files:

22. LambChop

Question for pilotart
    Since I was able to access the update server, parent directory etc. the first time I read your post -- but, now it is not available -- could you tell us whether you are still able to get it?
    and
    Are you located in the USA?
    Perhaps location has something to do with it?
    :eek: o_O :(

If there is not a problem on your end, I will have to check out what has taken place since earlier this AM -- when I was able to get through, and now -- which produced the "Forbidden" message I posted?

I really want to have Version 6 back up and running If I am able to keep it updated!:cautious: :doubt:

23. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Quoted by Dylanfan
    I didnt go for it because it was new, I got no choice in the matter with the new update.!!! Plus if version 6 wasnt broken why did H+BDEV try to fix it ??
    Quoted by ellison
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    As for downloading .vdf files --which would be the answer temporarily.......... as Lampchop states

Gordon

24. pilotart

Just tried it and saw the same

"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /upd/vdf/ on this server. " 403 message as well,

I am located in Eastern USA and it is now 9:15PM in Europe.

My Version 7 updated automatically about two hours ago and it took longer than usual (was six minutes+ twenty seconds).

It looked normal yesterday, when I posted the link, although I had not tried to download from there.

It sure looks like H&BEDV is blocking manual updates for loyal users with version 6:(

If I read any more on the subject, I will post it here.

25. LambChop

Thanks for your reply pilotart!
    At least I don't feel like it is just me now!
    Eventhough you are on East Coast & we are in Midwest -- there should not be that much of a difference -- especially since our broadband provider seems to 'own' the entire map! :)

I sure do wish I had taken German instead of Spanish now -- I would be able to use the free bitdefender 8 -- but, there seems to be an 'anti-english' going at the moment!
    :mad:

Please post again if things change or you get any new info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.