Which is better Antivir/Classic or AVAST "free"

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: OK, lets try and get a consensus on this question. I don't think I have to tell anyone where I stand on this particular question.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :blink: :gack: :isay:

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Just people new to the forum. :D;) But I'd go for Avast

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hmmmm .
    Good question . I think this will be opinions only as I believe they are about equal on most facets . Looks and features , I think I like Avast! better . Actual things that matter about safety ? Equal I think .

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

hmmm, good question :D ...

3 or 4 months ago, I'd have said Avast without doubts. Now, with Antivir 7, choice is more hard; I can't say yet which one I prefer.

Both are very good anyway, so it's only a matter of personnal taste... :)

Cheers,
    nicM

5. hollywoodpc

Gee . I agree with nicM .
    Oh . WAIT !
    I agreed with Nic BEFORE he wrote .:D ;) ;)

6. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Lol :D

...I know, I will edit my previous post to remove it, and then make another one, that's gonna look more real like it ;)

7. hollywoodpc

:D :D :D :D
    But , I will then have to remove mine and THEN rewrite to take a poke at you . And then you will remove that one as to make it more real and I will have to remove the new one I made to .blahblahblah........LOL

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

:D ...Hmm, I think I'll just change my opinion on theses two AVs, it's more simple and then you're stuck :D

Lol

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I've tried both. Albeit a while ago. Never had a problem with Avast. In fact if users I'm fixing their computers have ANY sense I install Avast for them. If they're total idiots I install AVG. But as far as AntiVir. A couple yrs ago AntiVir wouldn't uninstall. I had to rip it out & cleanup with all sorts of registry cleaners etc. Also a lot people including me are still on dialup & afair all the updates to AntiVir were at least 2MBs. Sometimes like 8MBs. And the updates to Avast were usually around 25kbs. And scanning with AntiVir was a pain in the ***. The scans with AntiVir would take up so many resources my computer sometimes locked up. So that's my beef with AntiVir. Have any of those things changed with AntiVir?

10. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Hard choice. I like them both. Antivir has excellent detection from definitions and heuristics. Avast just offers so much, web scanner, p2p scanner, ids, im scanner, etc. However, if I had a choice, it would be antivir, i just love saying it has the best detection of the free on-access antiviruses :p

Wildman, whats your view on this :p :eek: :rolleyes: Just kidding;)

Alphalutra1

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  11. hollywoodpc

Ok . If nicM picks one , I will choose the other . That way you are covered .:D

12. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:blink: Gee what is it like to be an insomniac? I think you got to be one of them so as to have a fighting chance to obtain the updates, epically if you don't reside in Europe. Oops Version 7 was supposed to have fixed this, oops again Version 7 has all sorts of bugs and isn't working that well. Great detection, if one can keep it update. Does AVAST have any such problems?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :eek: :p

13. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

avast is suposely be ranked advanced in the next av-comparatives according to some avast forum users

14. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Run both on different systems but prefer AntiVir. It runs better for me (and I have not had all the problems people keep complaining about) and from my own experiences has stopped more than Avast.

If either of these were the only choice for a free AV, I would not mind running either as my main form of AV protection on my systems.

15. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Viruses that infect brazilian people are detected by Antivir more than Avast.
    BUT Antivir update is a problem yet...

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Could someone who is knowledgeable about AntiVir free address my previous concerns. Which I'll restate.

AntiVir free:
    1. Does it uninstall cleanly?
    2. What are the update sizes? Are they just a few kbs or are they still in MBs?
    3. Is scanning on demand resource intensive?

Thanks.

17. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Although, AntiVir currently has a slightly better overall detections (zoo malware) than avast! but when it comes to overall solutions (reliability of updating mechanism, features, etc.) in my opinion avast! home edition is no doubt better than AntiVir Classic.

18. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

When you set both on high detection the surfing is much faster with Antivir.
    Even when i turned off the protection in Avast for p2p and im wich i don`t use.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i kinda think they are even now (AntiVir 7 and avast! 4.6).
    Each has some advantage here and there.

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Wildman should comment on this one. After all he's installed/uninstalled more than once. ;) :D

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Both are very good IMO, though I'd rate Avast! better overall for a free solution.

22. Marina Davies

Marina Davies Registered Member

Both AVG and Avast are very good AVs for free products, I have a preference for Avast. The only problem I find with it , it takes up alot of the resourses. Just a matter of finding what suits you.

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Wildman,

I thought that you already decided for the best free AV, avast! Home...

24. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Although I have not tried the new Antivir 7, I would still have to say Avast is the better choice for most comsumers looking for a free antivirus. I am on high speed dsl here and absolutely hate Antivir's updater. If it doesen't auto update silently in the background without any user intervention, it does not get my vote.

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The general rule for AV freewares is : run more than one AV scanner.
    You can't compare the quality of KAV/NOD32 with AntiVir/AVAST.
    So install AntiVir and AVAST, make one active and run the other(s) on demand in order to catch as many threats as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.