Which Hard Drive Defragger

Discussion in 'polls' started by AnthonyG, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derway

derway Registered Member

By the way, don't forget the free pagedefrag.exe, (from sysinternals I think), which works on win-nt/2k/xp, and which defrags the page file and registry! I've used it for years now. I love it.

Don

2. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Took your advice and installed pagedefrag.exe to run at every bootup............i am wondering if it is working as it should......the screen shows it defragging, but it takes only 3 seconds and has since the start..........seems too quick to be doing anything at all.... :doubt:

3. derway

derway Registered Member

Hey, if you fire up pagedefrag, while running windows. it will tell you if any page or registry files are fragmented. But yes, if you had no defragmentation, it is very fast - just a quick check.

The only time I had it take a lot of time, was the first time I had run it, when, apparently, my pagefile was significantly fragmented. Then it took several minutes...

The other trick, to eliminate more defragmentation from you system, is to run the windows defrag, and then run it, while logged in as a different user. The user dat files, and a couple others, are locked against defragging, while you are logged in...

HTH,
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.