Which Graphics Card Do You Use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Firecat, Feb 21, 2005.

?

Which graphics chipset do you use?

1. GeForce1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. GeForce2 MX

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. GeForce2 Ti/Pro/GTS/Ultra

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  4. GeForce3/GeForce3 Ti

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. GeForce4 MX

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. GeForce4 Ti

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. GeForce FX 5200/5500/5600/5700 series

12 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. GeForce 6600 series

13 vote(s)
    9.3%
  9. GeForce 6800 series

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. Radeon 7xxx

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  11. Radeon 8xxx

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. Radeon 9000-9200

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  13. Radeon 9550-9600 series

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  14. Radeon 9700-Radeon 9800 series

23 vote(s)
    16.4%
  15. Radeon X-Series

12 vote(s)
    8.6%
  16. Integrated (onboard) - Intel

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  17. Integrated (onboard) - SiS

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  18. Integrated (onboard) - VIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Integrated (onboard) - NVIDIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Integrated (onboard) - ATI

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  21. XGI - Please mention!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. S3 - Please mention!

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  23. SiS - Please mention!

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  24. Other

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I think I made a mistake...sorry those fans I am talking about are 12cm or 120mm...the bigger the fans, the less noise they make when spinning and the more air flows.

papst, enermax, zalman and antec are good

you cannot go wrong with the 120mm fans on this page (just watch out your case supports 120mm fans...cause sometimes the case permits only 80mm fans :(

http://www.quietpcusa.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=8&ObjectGroup_ID=14&CATID=7

3. Rainwalker

Well, mistakes are a part of life.............i have learned i need an 80mm and will order one from that site....
    Enjoy your evening :)

4. Infinity

5. Infinity

take the papst fan and put it in the rear. cause this papst fan will take much more air then your other fan. so you'll have cold air from front to the back, cooling all units...
    make sure that your rear fan's rpm are higher then your front fan's rpm...so you create a cold airflow inside your case.

6. Rainwalker

I was just now looking at that page and the Silentmaxx seemed like it might be a better idea as it has a rheostat.....know anything about them....
    BTW....here in Alaska it's 7:30am MONDAY : >(

7. Infinity

so your case only supports the 80mm?

here it is 17u36pm in Belgium (time to go home from work btw :D)

8. Rainwalker

Will do

9. Rainwalker

Must be nice.................i am now going to work :p

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

12:33 AM, Tuesday here at the time of typing :p

11. Rainwalker

Really :eek: come on Firebird...where are you ....tell it like it is...you don't have to name town..unless you care to :doubt:

12. Firecat

:p

Exactly 8 AM Tuesday as I type this :)

13. Rainwalker

What would you guys say about this...
    "Rating + 3Rating + 3xcavatr, 2/5/2005 9:22:32 PM
    Bought this and a gigabyte 6600gt for comparison. Overall pretty good card, but the 6600gt blew it out of the water. Well over 200pts 3dmark 05 on the same system. Had a 9700 pro and I didn't see the ... More »
    Bought this and a gigabyte 6600gt for comparison. Overall pretty good card, but the 6600gt blew it out of the water. Well over 200pts 3dmark 05 on the same system. Had a 9700 pro and I didn't see the dramatic improvement I was looking for. Really expected more out of this card than it delivered(especially with 256mb of ram).So its back to nvidia for me.New Egg's great.
    P4 socket t @ 3.0ghz
    Intel 915GAV board
    1 Gig Hyper x ddr 400"

from Newegg http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102405
    also........is there a differance between

X700 Pro and X700 Pro Hybred ....also is the one shown at Newegg an ATI.....people are complaining about the Newegg item being 'Lite"...what else, if anything, might be missing other then Powerdvd and games.................i have been looking for the best price for ATI non/lite and have not come up with much...any ideas :doubt:

14. Firecat

Try Club3D or Gigabyte. if they produce ATI cards you can get an excellent bundle for a great price :)

Warning: Club3D cards are probably made in China.

15. Firecat

16. Firecat

17. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Me, I use the all-in-wonder 9600 series. I`m not a gamer so...

:)

18. Infinity

so you can watch television on your computer? Must be nice imo...I had to move my computer...so now I'm in the neighbourhood of my livingroom lol. I tried to plug in the television onto my graphic card but it didn't work out :) -so what else is new lately?...-

Honestly...I wish we had a newegg kinda shop here too, cause I saw once a downloaded version of Boclean there for 23$ and the stuff I had to do to finaly receive Boclean was waaay to indirect and timeconsuming...
    At the end it worked and all was well but I won't do that for more expensive stuff...too risky :D
    I saw on some reviews that the 6600gt was better then x700pro...
    Anandtech has some reviews too on I believe 10 different 6600gt's...
    If you scroll down you can see some real winners. (Jade's XFX is rated very good, mine was less cause they received a broken one)
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295

19. Rainwalker

A big thanks again.....you guys are always helpful :cool:
    @ Infinity....great site :D

20. Infinity

Yeaahh, I thought you would like it :D

take care

Andy

21. Rainwalker

Yeah, very cool

22. muf

muf Registered Member

It's a waste of money using a pc for playing games. All these fantastic graphics cards for what? Two years of playing games. And month by month the games you buy play slower and slower until you end up turning down the resolution and then the graphic detail. I came to the conclusion that a pc is best used for pc stuff and a games console for games. I have in this old pc a 64mb Geforce Ultra that cost me £450(or $850) in January 2001. Now i can't think about playing games like Far Cry or Doom 3 on it. But i have an xbox which plays Doom 3 fine. I compared the graphics in the xbox version with the pc version and although the pc version is better, it's not THAT much better that i'd want to pay $500 for a state of the art graphics card.

Console gaming is obviously much different than pc gaming, but you get used to it. I did the clan thing for 6 years with Half Life Team Fortress Classic. Keyboard+mouse=lethal combo. But the console joypad is very useful too once you get used to it.

I just feel that using a pc for games, having to continually upgrade to be able to play these games is a massive waste of money. Buy a console and you will be guaranteed 4 or 5 years for your one-off £250 purchase. Playing the latest games for the same period on a pc with the required upgrades would cost easily 3 times that.

My next pc won't even take into consideration the graphics card it has. As long as i can get on windows and use my pc as a pc then i'll be happy. I'll be getting an xbox 2 when it's out, and that will see me right for the next 4 years or so then it'll be an xbox 3(PS3, PS4) or whatever. But a pc for games. Bit of a mugs game.

muf

23. Rainwalker

GREAT :rolleyes: Just when i finally had it all sorted you come along with this :p ............ your point was well presented and taken.............now what the h** am i supposed to do :D
    ..............good grief.....heading for the frig :'(

24. Firecat

Point noted....however, back in the past, things were really not meant to be as future-proof as they are today.

Any GeForce FX 5900 or Radeon 9800 card, two years down the road, is able to play Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 perfectly well - no quality loss, nice performance.

Another two years from now - Yes, the current graphics cards will have to play at lower detail levels - but the hardware will still be exploited to the maximum. This means, its gonna look better than the games two years ago, no matter the detail level!

The GeForce 1 and 2 were ignored cards, their per-pixel features manage to do PS 1.1 ops in many cases, but those features are hardly used because they are not easily exposed :(

25. muf

muf Registered Member

I find that a very odd statement. If you turn down the detail level then the game will not look as good as it is meant to be. Take the xbox, the games played on it for 4 years will all be as good graphically. No having to turn down the detail levels. And yes of course they can squeeze every little bit of performance out of it that they can. Also take into consideration that pc's have problems with drivers, software glitches, bugs and hardware incompatibilities. Games consoles don't suffer this problem. Like they don't suffer the fate that Doom 3 looks better on a ninja pc at 1600x1200 with detail set at ultra high compared to middle-man's pc at 800x600 low detail setting. All games console games look and play the same on all consoles.

muf

Last edited: May 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.