Which Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by whitedragon551, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Already been stated. Im looking for something light. Outpost doesnt fit the bill. It weighs in at about 50,000K just idle.

HIPS isnt necessary.

EDIT- Rising FW is very nice. Its easy, light, and has a very nice interface. It didnt fair to well in Matousecs ratings though. Also its not free.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

See if you can get private firewall to work. It has a memory leak, but the leak doesn't exist if you have sp2 installed. If you can get it to work, then it is nice and lite, and did well on matousec.

3. whitedragon551

Im happy with Rising. Just cant shell out $20 for it right now.

4. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Rising is free, look around here for it.

Secondly, if you don't care about HIPS, you CAN NOT go by Matousec's reports, as the project reports on HIPS, not firewalls.

5. whitedragon551

Not as light as others. It weighed in at nearly 50,000K. Rising takes up no more than 10,000K. It also takes up less HD space and isnt as bloated.

6. thathagat

thathagat Guest

7. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

If this forum wasn't all about sells contracts you would get the decent advice to pay up for more ram, not go buy this or that. The impact would be minimal.

Both Outpost and CIS is light. Your computer sucks. Buy some additional components to it if you feel like playing modern games.

8. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Does rising free have boot protection, spi(atleast a state table), and is it able to assign different profiles to different wireless networks? Does it come with HIPS that at minimum can prevent low-level/direcct disk access?

9. whitedragon551

Ha ha my computer is a laptop. Whats yours? Not to mention it handles everything I throw at it with no problems what so ever.

10. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Hey whitedragon551,

I figured out that my problem with Private Firewall was Nod32 v3, so if you got vista sp2 (because of the memory leak issue) installed you ought to try Private Firewall out, you may like it, and it's light and free. :thumb:

BTW I am using Vista Firewall with Advanced Security and it seems to work just fine, nothing gets through unless it matches a rule.:)

11. Anonymous696

Anonymous696 Registered Member

At the moment my CIS(Comodo Internet Security) install is using less than 10,000 K, and I'm using all of its protection (Firewall, D+, and AV). Though the VM(Virtual Memory) size is around 75,000 K, and seems to (temporary) fly upwards (2XX,XXX K) when there's an (Comodo)AV update.

12. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I'm searching for a light firewall too... Outpost conflicts with NOD32 v4. Everything crashes.

Have you tried Rising firewall?

13. whitedragon551

Yes. Very light, very easy to use, 92 day trial. The only thing I dislike is the ability to stealth ports.

14. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

if ur comfortable with rules then u wont find anything lighter than Look n Stop.

15. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

What about PC Tools Firewall? I think it is based on Look'n'Stop.

16. So far my favorite choice for a light firewall is Softperfect; it's not heavy on features, but looks like a decent replacement for Kerio.

BTW, Pain of Salvation is *awesome*. Glad to see another fan. :cool:

17. whitedragon551

Well Rising Firewall doesnt work to well with Win7 x64. It will sometimes let me access FF. Sometimes it wont until I turn off protection. Settings are the same in both instances. It was also set to compatibility mode and ran as admin. None of it worked. Back to the drawing board.

18. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Try Private Firewall

19. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

RIS 2009 can be used beyond cut off date to keep it working for free. Out of RAV and RFW the RIS which does both uses less system resources. Comodo FW+Defense is very good also I use both RIS and Comodo on different systems. On wireless laptops Comodo is my choice. On wired servers or desktop or workstations I recommend RIS 2009. I know there is talk about RIS 2010. If Rising releases that as a English/Chinese free then that can be made to go beyond the cut off date also. Simple fix to get that to work.

RIS first
    Comodo FW+Defense second.

Right now I am out of town and been traveling for almost a month now I am using Comodo FW+Defense with AVIR PE in different hotels wired or wireless and such even with a direct connection to the VOIP with a Cable Modem without using a router. Results have been very good. I also have Rising PC Doctor running with RegProt and Script Defender all running smooth.

20. whitedragon551

I did. The layout is hideous. Its stuck in Windows 2000.

21. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Your about out of choices then.:oops:

You want a good firewall for Vistax64 that is pretty and light. Jetico, Look n Stop, Private Firewall are all too ugly for you. Outpost and Comodo are too heavy. I guess vista firewall control is ugly too. You don't like Rising and you won't use Vista Firewall. There is not much left. Zone Alarm has a new beta but is probably still too heavy for you, PC Tools is in beta, but it probably is too ugly. There isn't much left. You can configure Vista Firewall to block all outbound and then create rules for windows services and your av and whatever else you want, it's not hard and is very lite.o_O

Obviously your gonna have to compromise somewhere. :)

22. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Not to me but the op, that is the firewall he was using when he started this thread.

23. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Yeah, something is seriously wrong if Comodo is heavy...

24. whitedragon551

Not sure whats wrong with it. Its also acting up on Win7 for me.

I actually love Rising. I just cant get it to work right with Win7. Sometimes I can connect to the net fine. Sometimes I cant.

Anyone have any experience with PC Tools Firewall and resources?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  25. whitedragon551

Anyone? PC tools did nothing, but have popups every 2 seconds for nearly 10 minutes at which point I uninstalled.

I need something x64 Win7 compatible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.