Which firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kevlu, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevlu

kevlu Registered Member

I've been using Agnitums Outpost firewall for several years now. But since v.3 came i've been having trouble with the firewall. I decided that it is time for a change. What are your recommendations regarding new firewalls? I'm testing Look 'n' stop right now. I like the firewall but i'm not convinced yet. I've heard good things about 8Signs/Visnetic but i havent tested them yet. Is there someone out there who has tested 8signs firewall and can tell me pros and cons regarding the firewall? Memory consumption etc.?

Are there other firewalls i should consider? I open for any suggestions.

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Re: Wich firewall?

Visnetic/8signs is a very good firewall in my opinion, if you aren't concerned with outbound protection. If you have other software monitoring your outgoing processes or your computer is clean, I don't think you could go wrong with Visnetic/8Signs.

I'm currently running the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro on mine and find it very light on my system compared to the older versions, and haven't had any problem at all with the new ZoneAlarm.

I also have a license for Outpost, but find it heavier than ZA, which surprised me.

Look n Stop is the lightest. 8 Signs is also low on resource use. Of the two, whichever you are comfortable with is the one to choose. I like them both and wouldn't feel undergunned using either LnS or Visnetic.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Re: Wich firewall?

8Signs/Visnetic firewall is pretty nice, although if you're going to go that route (no outbound app control), then I think I'd opt for CHX instead, which gives you more configurability and SPI for UDP/ICMP as well.

5. kevlu

kevlu Registered Member

CHX is a firewall i've never heard about. I've tried searching google for more information but i only find info in german. Can you please tell me more about the firewall? How about memory consumption? Rule configuration? Where do i purchase it? Is support available in english?

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

CHX can be found here: http://www.idrci.net/

Download it and the sample rule set. That plus a good read of the online docs will get you started.

It is completely free. Just register on the site, and they'll send you a key in the mail. Simple and easy..

It is reported to use about 3mb ram I think, although you won't find it in task manager since it's a kernel service. But it is extremely light, no overhead at all. No load, no slowdowns etc.

It's quite good. Many people here are using it and like it a lot.

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

It's a couple of years old, but may answer some of your questions: VisNetic Firewall Review. I quite like this software firewall, but as others have noted, it does not have application control if that is something you wanted.

Any features in particular you are after?

Regards,

CrazyM

8. kevlu

kevlu Registered Member

Thank you all for replying... I've decided to go with a Hardware Firewall "SurfinBird IX67".

But i'm wondering if there is a program that only monitors outgoing connections? If there is can you recommend something? I was thinking of going with Port Explorer, would that be sufficiant? Otherwise i'm thinking of running LnS as a software firewall and disable the internetfiltering. If it is possible...

Any recommendations are greatly accepted!

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That is something that many people would like I suppose.. There aren't many that can be run for outbound only. LnS can do that, also you might consider using just an old (2.6) version of ZA and disable the internet filtering. Jammer used to be available, and it did exactly that, but Agnitum has discontinue it some time ago and removed it from their site altogether. So no help there. Would be nice if one of these devs would create something like that just for router users..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.