Which Firewall is the best????

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jason_bdlavender84, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason_bdlavender84

jason_bdlavender84 Registered Member

I am a new p.c user and i just bought a new p.c last week, however, i found out that there did not exist any firewall system in my p.c. Consequently, my p.c has been infected by virus and warm last sunday when i having my excess into internet...now, i ask my friend to clear the worm and virus already, but my p.c still have not installing any firewall...so, can anybody recommend me the best firewall software to be installed?:)

Thanks in advances!!! jason...

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

3. noway

noway Registered Member

These days it's pretty hard to buy a new PC (with an operating system) without a firewall. How did you manage that? What operating system is installed (and service pack, if any) ? What was the worm and how did you get it? The reason I ask is that if you got the worm via e-mail or by using a p2p (filesharing) program, a firewall may or may not have helped you.

4. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

The BEST would be your choice, there are plenty to choose from but only what you are comfortable with, look around the forum.
    I also noticed you mention being a new PC user.
    How new? A newbie with no PC experience? Minimal experience?
    This could help in narrowing your choice of firewalls.
    In other words someone with no experience, I wouldnt tell them to go and try OutPost Pro or Jetico.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

At the very least you should have the XP firewall enabled until (if and when) you decide on a 3rd party firewall.

6. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Depends on what is considered the best. Outpost 4 should now stop all known leaktests. Also it looks like it ties for 1st or maybe gets 2nd against termination attacks. Very good in my opinion but again it really depends on what your looking at the best being.

Thanks,

Chris

7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Comodo is free and excellent with great support and continual development. Say no more.:D

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Great firewall and antivirus, Kaspersky 6.0 Internet Suite. Not pushing it as their are other alternatives, but if you want one product to protect you, well,,,,

9. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Yes, I agree.

If the PC was just purchased with XP + SP2 (anyone would be hard put to find anything else) then Windows Firewall was running by default unless it was disabled.

10. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jason_bdlavender84

Welcome to Wilders,

A Firewall will help, but that is not it primary job to stop Viruses or Worms, for that you will need a Anti-Virus or such Progarm.

See the very first Sticky thread in this forum Firewall Questions for beginners

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

11. muf

muf Registered Member

The best? Well that's not possible to answer. Everyone has their own idea of what makes the perfect firewall. If you are inexperienced with using firewalls then Zonealarm is what you should look at. Easy to use, effective as a firewall(I feel someone itching to mention Leaktests) and if you have a new pc then i don't see it causing resource problems. I'd keep away from rules based firewalls and install Zonealarm. After that, read up on rules base firewalls, get an idea how to set them up and give one a try. But please don't jump in with a rules based firewall straight away or you'll end up doing something wrong and leaving yourself open to attack. I've used both types of firewall, and application based(like Zonealarm) are the place to start.

muf

12. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

What is best for me might not be the best for you & vice versa. It is a personal choice.

Also the term "best" is ambiguous - Best in term of price? Best in term of customer support? Best in term of passing the leaks tests? And many.

13. GWA

GWA Registered Member

Everyone has an opinion and that's proper. I believe that Comodo, as indicated in a few of the posts above, is superior and it is being actively developed. It is configured after install to be completely effective for home users without even touching the settings. After the usual series of popups, you would be in good shape. With automatic updating, the software will tell you when a new update is available and install it for you. My only recommendation would be to right click on the Launch Pad icon (bottom right of your screen) and deselect the start up with windows option. That's it. CHUCK :D

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

my top 2 choices for a firewall are:
    • Outpost Firewall Pro
    • Kaspersky Anti-Hacker (part of KIS 6)
    like others have said, each person has their own choice of firewall. so i suggest u give a few firewalls a run and see which u like.

15. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Please do start this type "Which [PRODUCT] is the besto_O?" topic. there sure be never ending "fighting" among the difference brand fans. and you sure will be more confuse than before after read all these replies.

what i suggest is try to read those posts that other posted before, write down few product name that more user agree on, then go download it yourself. Since most product have free trial version for you to use(most for 30days) is far more than enough to dicide it that you cup of tea.

Better than START another WAR again. :)

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

There are quite a few firewall programs out there. You should definitely start up the Windows XP SP2 firewall if your PC has not already been doing so before. If you are looking for a free program, there are several available such as Zone Alarm, Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, and Comodo. Here is a list of some of the more popular programs.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/links.php

17. budfox

budfox Registered Member

Easy....Outpost v4.

18. jason_bdlavender84

19. jason_bdlavender84

20. jason_bdlavender84

21. jason_bdlavender84

22. jason_bdlavender84

23. jason_bdlavender84

24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd have to say outpost pro is probably the best firewall imo. Easy to use for the novice and highly configurable for the expert. Plus it comes with a lot of handy plug ins which are useful.

25. sky_dynasty

sky_dynasty Registered Member

Don't consider using Outpost pro unless you have money to buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.