Which Disk Defragmenter?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Coolio10, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

So he's saying SmartDefrag is the bad software? That makes sense, but that's not the way I read it. Thanks for clarification.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The Legend HERE shows "Fragmented" as being in red, whereas I see NO red blocks. Therefore, why does UD say it is 13.38% fragmented when it appears to be zero fragmented? o_O

3. Peter2150

That may relate to the coloring scheme. If a given block is 10% occupied by a fragmented file, and the rest of the block has contiguous files it will probably have the color of the contiguous files. Probably is a function of how many files are in a given block.

Pete

4. bellgamin

Yes, but DasFox's post HERE seems to indicate he places no credence in UD's recurrently high fragmentation data. So why is DasFox using a UD image to try & prove whatever point it is that he is trying to make? Reductio ad absurdem, IMO :cautious:

5. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

He's probably speaking of the multiple data blocks on the outer most part of the disk. They were not moved to the centre as the rest?

6. davidlynch

davidlynch Registered Member

Any conclusions on this topic?

Wouldn't it be better with a pool on the first post?

I'm between UD or Defraggler. App should have the smallest possible footprint (system resources usage), no services/autostarts, do the best possible job with minimum or no risk at all.

DK and PD are out of question: software is too big for what it does. Just use them and run Sysinternals Process Monitor. It's incredible how much cpu time PD takes, reading registry values frequently.

7. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I use Ultimate Defrag for program placement and Perfect Disk v8 for defrag. This combination seems to work for me.
    SourMilk out

8. layman

layman Registered Member

Don't see a single mention of Vopt [vee-opt] here. Perhaps that's because it's been around a long time and people presume it hasn't kept pace with the times. If I had to choose just one defragger, it'd be Vopt.

9. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I am a happy PD2008 owner, but I have used Paragon Total Defrag in the past, and had very good luck with it.

I downloaded Paragon's new free version of Partition Manager Express, and they sent me a discount code after registration.

I need another defragger fo another computer, so I think I will give Total Defrag 2009 a try again with the 20% off discount code they sent me.

Total Defrag has the offline defrag of pagefile, MFT, etc. It always worked flawlessly for me under Vista when it was Total Defrag 2007.

10. bellgamin

Based on comments in this thread, I am now trialing Puran. So far I am VERY favorably impressed! Fast. Stable. Easy to use & understand. Nice & compact. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

As a happy UD2008 user I think that anyone wanting to try the program should give it time to work. For C: I have performance set to 30 days and archive set to 31 days with various file types always in performance or always in archive.
    D: is set to 90 days performance and 91 days archive again with some file types set to performance or archive.

All this means that a minimum of 30 days is required to really see the full benefits. I wonder if some who haven't gotten on with this program have given it enough time, tried all the options etc ? For my money file placement is far more important than the actual defrag method. A program which doesn't have file placement is not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Same here, am glad your enjoying it :thumb:

13. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Well, I downloaded Paragon Total Defrag 2009.
    Even though I had good luck with TD2007 I was thoroughly disappointed with TD2009. For one thing, the "demo" doesn't actually defrag your drive....it just goes through the motions as if it were going to defrag...but doesn't do anything. Previously I know that the demo of TD2007 actually defragged the drive. I used it for a solid month.
    So I even tried it twice because I thought I must have done something wrong!!! TWO WASTED HOURS !

The interface was buggy, and the paragon website was also buggy....I was actually rying to BUY it and the website wouldn't let me unless I downloaded the "trial" first. So, they just lost a customer.
    Back to PD2008.

14. bellgamin

I sent a support request to Puran last Friday, asking them if it is safe to defragment an image file of my system disk. Thus far I have received no reply or acknowledgement from the Puran folks.

Has anyone had experience in getting tech support from Puran?

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Based on your post I've just downloaded the trial, I agree there is a definite improvement from the others i tested. Specifically I'm still trialling ShadowDefender which normally starts with a virtual volume of 1.40 GB (it seems to be considered normal by other users). After defragmenting with Puran, ShadowDefender starts with a virtual volume of 62 MB! Now this, I find remarkable in terms of efficiency. I believe Peter2150 got the same results using Ultimate Defrag (Although it didn't work for me).

16. Zamboni

Zamboni Registered Member

Bellgamin,

I have contacted them 3 times regarding license and installation questions. Each time they replied in less than an hour. The initial contact was through the support form on their website. Subsequent communications were sent directly to the "support@puransoftware.com" address. I have been pleasantly surprised with the support that they have provided.

Each contact with them has occurred between 08:00 hours and 16:00 hours in the central time zone of the United States.

Zamboni

17. Peter2150

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be safe. Just not sure it's worth the effort. Takes a lot of time, and if I am not mistaken if they are compressed you will still end up with what looks like a fragmented file.(Not positive about this)

Pete

18. bellgamin

Hola Pete-sensei -- I only asked that question so as to test their responsiveness to a request for support. So far I have sent them two requests plus one follow-up, but they have not responded to any of them. Not even a bot reply. Nothing.

I find it inexplicable that they don't even have an automated response bot, muchless not giving a live answer to a pre-sales request for info. Something wrong there. Very disappointing since their program seems quite good.

I will wait a couple more days and then I will begin warning folks away from them at the various 20+ forums I visit regularly.

19. Peter2150

Well I wanted to see if Ultimate Defrag's folks were alive, so I did the same thing. Got a bot response, but that's it. Doesn't bode all that well all the current version of UD is working fine for me.

Pete

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is strange they haven't answered your queries, they are quite young (August 2007, India), and their website is actually asking for suggestions towards improving their product.

It looks like a 2 men company, and they might not know the answer to your question which in all fairness could be addressed to any company. It seems to me a bit harsh from your part to dismiss them solely on an e-mail issue, and being happy with their product.

Storagecraft will often ignore your e-mails if they are not related to registered products, that doesn't make them a company to avoid.

21. bellgamin

How did you look them up? I tried doing so, using Domain Dossier but got no info.

Yes... I might be shooting myself in the foot, because I really like their defragger. But still, you would think they would have at least an auto-answer bot.

Would someone else try contacting them? Maybe they just don't like the way I spell my name. :doubt:

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

23. bellgamin

Such a logical method that it never occurred to me. Thanks.

Good news! I heard from the Puran folks. Their reply was very informative & quite clear. I shall become a paying customer soon.

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

How about sharing their informative reply? I've also never done it as a precaution.

25. bellgamin

Wilders doesn't permit direct quotation of personal messages. Very briefly, the *substance* of their reply was that it is safe to use Puran to defrag ANY file whose sector-by-sector physical location on the hard drive is not important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.