Which country do you think produces the best software/s?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

U.S.A. followed by Germany followed by Australia, though you have to figure, Microsoft is an American company, they have around 89-90% of the desktop OS market, and while some people may claim that "Windows is bad" or whatever, the plain fact of the matter is Windows wouldn't be where it is if it wasn't such an excellent OS, yes, its not perfect, it does have problems, but so does every OS I've encountered, but really you can't define who makes the best software and where they are at, there are good developers all around the world. You can see the difference by a majority of good software (DCS, Spybot, etc.) but thats not to say they're the best country to offer software, it just means they have a majority of good software.

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I would say Germany and Russia... Not to forget Finland as well (respect to Linus)...

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Finland also makes JV16, I'm pretty sure.

Sweater - sorry if I got a bit touchy. Laugh and the world laughs with you, Cry and you cry alone. That's what my dad liked to say.

besides, since i've confessed to being touchy, laugh at this. I got even more upset by the statement that Germany doesn't have any good software. I only have three things to say, then I am going to be sedated...

1)WinRAR
    2)Nero
    3)Textmaker

if we can use Linux as a credit to Finland, I propose adding Norway for producing programming bad-boy Jon Lech Johansen, AKA, "DVD John".

Most widely known for cracking dvd encryption, John, born in 1983, is credited with many, many, other accomplishments, most notably in the area of "fair usage".

see this link for an outline of the highlights of this modern day Robin Hood's brilliant career: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Jon

- HandsOff

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I like to add some more:
    4) Tuneup Utilities
    5) O&O Defrag
    6) KDE
    7) eMule

and many more...

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Heidi Eraser

6. HandsOff

Is that a divorce software?

- HandsOff

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Eraser is an advanced security tool (for Windows), which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns. Works with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and DOS.
    Eraser is Free software and its source code is released under GNU General Public License.

The patterns used for overwriting are based on Peter Gutmann's paper "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory" and they are selected to effectively remove magnetic remnants from the hard drive.

Other methods include the one defined in the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual of the US Department of Defence and overwriting with pseudorandom data. You can also define your own overwriting methods.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/features.php

8. HandsOff

Hi, G. -

It does sound as though they have been very thorough. I think I will post a related question in a different thread and link to it, so as not to hijack this thread.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.