Which Browser should I choose?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dog, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

I've always use IE cause I guess I like to live dangerously, but after reading the poll about broswers, I decided maybe I should switch!

But I'm not sure which one to choose? I've D/L but not installed opera, mozilla and Foxfire ... SO my Question(s) other than the one above ... Should I use the latest stable version rather than the beta, and which is the easiest to use and the most stable?

Thanks in advance for your advice. ;)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My personal choices are #1 opera #2 firefox they are both good but I like the options that you have with opera, firefox good or not is basically still in beta. Opera is just a real fine browser that will do just about anything you could ask of a browser. try them both out and see which one is right for you. you can have them both installed at the same time.

3. dog

dog Guest

Hey Bigc,

I was leaning toward opera, should I install the 7.23 stable version or 7.50 beta, and do you know what the difference is between foxfire and moziilia ... as they're both from mozillia? I know foxfire's a beta and mozillia available in both 1.5 stable and 1.7 beta, any suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help! :)

4. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Both Opera and Firefox are excellent browsers in their own right. Whichever one you choose you will find it a lot more pleasurable browsing online

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2004
  5. snipedog

snipedog Guest

Why not try both for a while? That way you can decide which you like the best and not what someone else would tell you.

6. dog

dog Guest

My motto is ... Why run into a wall, when some else has ... to me it's all ways advise able to get advice first and avoid bumping your noggin. :D I use alot less aspirin this way. :D lol

The only problems and risks I Like; are the ones Microsoft continually provides me with! :D

At any rate ... at my age I tread carefully, Slowly and set in my ways ... I guess I'll give opera a shot first ...

Thanks for the input guys! :D

Dog *puppy*

Ps. I'll check back to see if anyone else has more advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2004
  7. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Dog - I can't give you any info regarding Opera as I've never tried it. However, if BigC says it's a good one, I'd go with what he says.

If you're looking to give it a whirl, try the non-beta version first: it will be more user-friendly, and you're far less likely to run into quirks that you won't know how to handle.

I'm currently giving the 0.8 release of Firefox a workout. I haven't had any real problems with it, but I'm not expecting it to replace IE6 as my browser of choice anytime soon.

8. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Dangitall ;)

I finally installed ID-SPYAD ... plus I boosted my IE settings up a little more ... they were already high but I changed to prompt for scripts - I've never been hijacked or had anything serious happen ... but I now believe my config ... Super Up Tight lol :cool:

With changing the scripts to prompts ... I passed All the tests at Jason Levine's Toolbox ...

Available here if anyone is interested: http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

Anyway I'm still gonna give Opera (stable 7.23v ) a whirl ... But I'm still quite happy IE ... and will keep it as my main browser, besides Microsoft provides plenty of headaches ... why endure more?

I'm now PROUD to say IE is my MAIN Browser ;)

dog *puppy*

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Glad that you're satisfied with IE as your browser.

Glad that I moved over to the fox. Dogs don't like foxes, do they :D

There are some more issues at hand, though not security issues. Both Firefox and Opera have some functional bonusses over IE.

First: they are still being developed as separate products. MS announced that they will stop developing stand alone IE version. No problem if you're always upgrading your Windows OS.
    Second: the user interfaces have some extra features, I can't live without them. Tabs (okay, you could run multiple browsers, but the task bar is way too short). There are different skins and lots of useful plugins. And all for free.
    Opera has the context sensitive ads. They are not very obtrusive, perhaps even useful.

But then again, I don't like IE for one major reason: it's part of the OS. One vulnerability in the browser is one vulnerability in the OS. That's the main problem of all the current exploits for IE and OE (it's an IE for mail). The browser is running with system authorities (that's an even more trusted process than you as a user can) so any exploit is running as System is fully trusted. And I do not believe that any tool can fix this architectural design flaw.

Yep, you got it: I hate IE/OE with all my heart.

And here's one for you: *puppy*

10. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Actually there's a 1.6 stable for Mozilla too.

The main difference between Mozilla suite and Mozilla Firefox, is that the former is a suite of intergreted apps which includes email client, chat, browser, html composer etc while the latter is just a web browser.

If you are just using for a browser, the latter is more lightweight and generally faster.

There are a few functions in mozilla cut in firefox but they are minor.

Another difference between the browser in mozilla and in Firefox is that the later's default interface is more streamlined. In Mozilla suite's browsers, many more (but not all) of the configurable options are exposed in the GUI.

In firefox, the same options are there but you access them via config text files or by typing about:config in the url address.

It's a philisophical difference. Why clutter up the UI (and slow it) within dozens of geeky options that most won't use? The really geeky ones who want to change such options will read the faqs, and learn how to do it.

Though even in the suite, there are lots of options not directly accessable within the UI!

Currently, there are slightly more extensions (add-ons that enhance functionality) that work for firefox than the mozilla browser.

In any case, they are both based on gecko , so they will display all the sites the same way.

11. dog

dog Guest

Thanks for the added info Riverwind :)

dog - *puppy*

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would advise you to go with 7.23 the 7.50 should be released as a non beta before long. After the 7.50 is finally released I will probably try it. But I am totally satisfied with 7.23 ;) Firefox is a streamlined version of mozilla. It is faster and lighter on resources.

13. dog

dog Guest

Whoa I gotta say ... so far ... FoxFire ... is amazing ... fast and great interface ... even imports IE favourites :D this is my kind of browser

Opera on the other hand, seems like one cluttered app ... that ad in the right hand corner is going to drive me crazy ...

Foxfire's simplicity make it a winner! :cool:

Dog - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.