Which AVs are you running together?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Crinie, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

First of all I am not recomending this to anyone, but you can forget the comments about slowing down this machine because it doesnt with these 2 products and how it is set up. It wont work with all my computers I am sure of, or at least think so but if picked right, it does work, regardless of what some may say.

The reality is, most are doing it and fail to realize it because of how their other products are labeled, or mislabled I should say.

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

My thoughts exactly. It may not appear to conflict but running more then one AV (or FW or HIPS or Whatever realtime) has a very good chance of reducing your protection instead of increasing it.
    By the way I won't even run one AV in realtime let alone two or more.

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

To reiterate an earlier comment - why do you need to run two AV programs ? If the answer is "yes", it smacks of lack of trust, why then stop at two, the choice is enormous ? I would imagine two AV`s fight like hell and cause internal conflicts and faults.

When I tried to install a second AV some time ago, I am sure that the Wizard detected the existing AV and a panel told me to uninstall it before proceeding. I forgot the whole idea.

With AVG 2011 in my case (or any other reputable AV program in yours) plus Sandboxie, I find this thread only of a minor technical curiosity as my question above implies.

John

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Don't run multiple antiviruses... it's just that simple.

As Microsoft has said "Running two or more antiviruses is only slightly better than running none at all"

5. John Bull

Howdy Hungry,

If you had said that in post 2, I guess the thread would have self destructed.

Confucius say :-
    Man who can say it in a few words, never write book.

John :argh:

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ok, if Mr. Bull says not to, I wont.:gack: :thumb:

But, then which one should I keep and which one should I get rid of.:argh:

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Not really. It has to do with two programs trying to scan a single file.

Regardless of your OS, drivers, service packs, etc... that's a conflict.

8. John Bull

TRJ - Just keep the one you love best and divorce the other. Let`s say it is practising AV monogamy with real dignity and splendour.

John : :D

9. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Hi John,
    You really have a way with words. Nicely said, I completely agree with you. :thumb: :D

Ziaul

10. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It may not show any signs of incompatibility, but as others mentioned there could be internal bleeding. Instead of it doubling your protection they could negate each other in some situations. Think of it like 2 outfielders both converging on the same pop fly, then stopping and staring at each other thinking the other one has it, as the ball falls between them.

There's a good reason it's highly discouraged. And I've seen the argument: "people do it already, they just don't know it because the programs are mislabeled as something other than an AV". I reckon you're talking about something like PrevX combined with an AV, or an antispyware app. That's a fair point. My answer personally is that I wouldn't use something like that either combined with an AV, no matter what the claims are of compatibility. I even disabled the cloud scanning in Comodo D+ because of Avira. I only want 1 product (if any) doing real-time scanning. This isn't just to prevent potential compatibility issues though, but also to save resources.

I'm thinking about enabling the D+ cloud now that I've ditched the AV, but I haven't yet.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't have to tell you that an upcoming feature of the Avira beta will be to check for and remove incompatible software. I'd bet that Avira 12 won't like you fooling around with that hussy Eset V5.;) :D

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Agree :thumb:

13. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

NOD32 v5.0.93.0 & Webroot SecureAnywhere v8.0.0.15 (Beta).

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I thought I was exceptional, running two customized AVs in different layers with all the exclusions.

Now here are people who run them in the same layer and posted nothing about exclusions...

15. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Running together active quite nicely:
    - Comodo CIS v5 (Full Suite).
    - Prevx 3/SOL.
    - Spyshelter Personal Free 5.42.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice set up

17. operamail

operamail Registered Member

It's kinda common sense that we don't/shouldn't run two real-time AV together.
    But look what I find on Emsisoft's site.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good to know

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ok OA++ works great in my 64 bit system alone without Mbam Pro as it slow down my system but when OA++ is alone is fast;)

20. sded

sded Registered Member

OA++, Avast! Pro, Webroot Secure Anywhere all run fine together and seem to complement each other in terms of protection. All running with all features active, no noticeable slowdown or significant issues. I initially left them active as support to beta testing to look at conflicts, but haven't found that to be a problem so leave them all active. Some features (like webshields) have the same names but work differently enough to not be a problem. And OA++ and WSA both claim to work with other AVs without conflict; so far at least that is pretty close to true.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Products that are made to be compatible isn't like running 2 AVs together.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1! :thumb:
    Running two (2) or more AVs...
    What a waste of Resources for a bit of incremental Security!
    I wonder if it is Security or Insecurity after all...:doubt:

23. Crinie

Crinie Registered Member

What I've learned is some AVs get along and some don't, some AVs slow the computer (sometimes worse than a virus) and some don't, some AVs catch a virus and some don't, been running my combo setup for over 2 yrs now and everything stays fine. :D

24. Crinie

Crinie Registered Member

such as...

25. fax

fax Registered Member

WSA/PREVX and OA++ ... they have different on-access approaches to minimise conflicts. They were/are designed to run along other AVs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.