Which AV over networked pcs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Felicity, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felicity

Felicity Guest

Can either Kav, RAV or Dr Webb scan a networked pc?
    NOD32 can. I now have 4 pcs, and want to get good protection at reasonable price, dial up so not essential for all to have the best. ($40max/pc). I've got Trojan Hunter which can cover all 4 pcs on demand.

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

AVAST! 4 can. Tried it myself yesterday. Works great.

3. root

root Registered Member

I know KAV can, and I'm not sure about DrWeb. Nod32 and KAV are both good as long as KAV4 doesn't bog you down, then you need version 3.5 Swiss.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Felicity,

Just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by scanning a networked pc?

Do you mean just he mere capability of scanning remote disks? Or did you also have in mind some kind of remote administration, etc...?

Vlk

5. Felicity

Felicity Guest

My aim is just to run a virus scan over the HD of the other pcs as a second opinion. 2 of the others have got PC-Cillon, it came free with the pcs but expires soon. They've also got Grisoft-AVG.

Ideally I want just one AV per pc, monitoring all the time, with another AV on another pc able to scan the HD (or certain folders) as a weekly backup/second opinion.

I've seen RAVs info page explaining about administrators being able to update all pcs from one main pc. But I think that means multiple licenses.

Thie feature doesn't seem to get much of a mention but I think its important as more and more people get 2 or 3 pcs connected together.

I don't know if trial versions have the ability that the pro/paid versions have. Thats why I ask everyone here, practical yes/nos rather than the slow drag through sales waffle etc. I'm on dialup, I need to sleep sometime!

Thanks for the replies so far, looking at avast now.

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I should have been more specific: I was speaking of AVAST! scanning a remote hd/folder. :)

7. vlk

vlk AV Expert

If all you want is to (on-demand) scan remote shares, there should be no problem whatsoever, with any scanner. It would basically have to be a crippleware as for the applications it's virtually transparent whether, let's say, drive K: is a local or remote disk.

However, if you're talking about on-access, it can really make a difference. For example, the functionality of scanning local files being modified from a remote machine on-access is often supported only in the Server Editions of the software.

As a side note, avast is capable of scanning these (even in the free HOME version), provided you enable this feature (it's not enabled by default)...

Vlk

8. wizard

wizard Registered Member

KAV (Proversion), NOD32 and DrWeb can scan network drives. About RAV I am not 100% sure as I never tested it.

wizard

9. Felicity

Felicity Guest

Got Avast installed (on XPhome). Working very well across to the other 3 pcs. Thanks for tip, it is easy to setup and operate, like it.

For 3rd pc, might go for VET instead of DrWeb, VET has better VB record for later editions of XP/NT/2000. This pc is XP + 2000 so is more suitable.

For 4th pc; KAV lite (trial) on W98 unable to scan other pcs, tried mapping drives/sharing, but no luck. Is it because its a trial version?

Anyone know if KAV personal does it or is it just pro?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.