Which are the top-tier AV programs ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by brjoon1021, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Top tier AVs based on marketing and usage:

Norton, McAfee, Trend, Kaspersky

Top tier AVs based on Performance/Detection:

Kaspersky, Symantec, McAfee, BitDefender, Panda, NOD, Dr.Web

Overall Top-Tier AVs based on marketing, usage and performance:

Symantec, McAfee, Trend, Panda, Kaspersky (and KAV-based)

1st level Tier 2: BitDefender, NOD32, Dr.Web

1st level tier 2 means a group of companies which have a very good product which is up there with the rest, but have fallen short in the market due to lower amounts of OEM deals and marketing etc.

2. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

It's not scientific, but based on what I've seen: KAV, NOD32, and BitDefender. KAV seems the best with zoo malware.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

what a load of total rubbish. i have only ever had one paid product on this PC other than MS XP and that was NAV firstly it wouldn't install always on a fresh install and the first thing installed - all the freeware i have had have all installed. THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR NAV so it means you click and click then get to a KB that has no solution to your problem. it is total rubbish so for me your strangely numbered/lettered A/2 is absolutly wrong. i belong in neither group you will have to think of something else, perhaps not something of the top of your head. and yes i tried NAV 2005 and didn't like that either.

i did get it installed once, NAV 2004, and the drag on the system and speed it took to right-click scan was an embarrassment. the weekly/weakly updates were just stupid too

BTW i am a total believer in Capitalism and not some lefty basher. the product/support is just awful.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I warned about lack of on-access spyware detection in NAV2005.
    And as every year exactly this feature was un der "NEW" features.
    C'mon symantec people,show some more innovations. Alwil guys showed 5 times the new features in just one minor update, not to mention major updates. Symantec looks almost like Electronic Arts. Releasing games every year with minor changes and new look. For full price of course...

5. Boru

Boru Registered Member

I am from an official Kaspersky retailer location do i think we are the best? Yes. I believe Americans need to know the value of protection, they need to stop being bounced around like a tennis ball in a match back and forth between AV programs.

They need to have security in a basic, inexpensive and consistant solution; Kaspersky AV. Point blank. They are scared they fear us they know we are going to add to consumers and corporate level computers the protection they deserve. They know we wont play the game of corruption!

You see, the bigger players in the AV and Firewall game play hide and seek with new threats and exploits they play off of your fears and know that if they, coincidentally, release the only solution to a potential OS weakness you will buy from them. We will not play that game!

You get security kaspersky.eseypc.com

It is the link of one of the only US reseller sites with the fastest download.
    We are invading America and we are ridding the disease which is the corporate corruption of AV software manufacturers.

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Thanks so much for the advert, Boris. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...:rolleyes: ;)

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Went back in time for this thread.Kinda like my girlfriend who loves bringing up the past!.

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Therefore my opinion is not biased.o_O
    Yes...because only Americans do not "know the value of protection." Are you serious? Your stereotyping almost tells us as much about your intellect as your next statement.
    The only thing we fear are people that have a mindset such as the one you've demonstrated here. We fear that you may some day reproduce.
    Kaspersky AV is a well designed piece of software. However, during your "invasion" please keep in mind the lessons taught by the Symantecs and the Dells. You can have a decent piece of software, but if you back it up with poor customer support, you might as well have poor software.

Boru, you are not doing Kaspersky well when you insult the very people that you hope to have as customers. I am very interested in migrating to Kaspersky from Norton, but after hearing your threats of invation, condescending remarks about what Americans do not know, and observing your general arrogance; I am not sure that I want to protect my system with software represented by such a person as yourself.

9. Tiger1

Tiger1 Registered Member

Hi All,

In my opinion the best AVs are :

1) Kaspersky

2) McAfee

3) BitDefender

4) ESET NOD32

Rather than reinvent the wheel as to why I rank them this way please take a look at my article which I am currently revising. Please feel free to comment and criticize.

10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

mistypo: Av-Comapratives

11. TradeMark

TradeMark Registered Member

Well this is 100% true, all AV test show that 1kav, 2mc, 3bd and so an, except the Av-comparatives, i dont know why but.
    AV test´s care about which AV adding in the (correct time) and which AV detect´s mostely from signatures and not from Heuristic. Thats why the results are the way they are :)

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I can't understand why F-secure doesn't get mentioned more when listing the better av products. It is rated on equal footing with Kav By av-comparatives and it's detection is better than most av's available. I guess it is just the preferences of the particular poster at the time. Just like me. I like F-Secure Internet security suite 2006 tremendously, but the next person may not. I guess that is why we are lucky to have such good selection of respectable av programs to choose from.

13. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

So if I say, I am from an official Kaspersky retailer location and I am here to invade the earth...Are you going to believe me? Come on man you look a lot smarter then this Boru guy.:D

tD

14. Tiger1

Tiger1 Registered Member

Thanks IBK!

15. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Of course I am not going to base my AV decision on Boru. The last part was, of course, added for emphasis.
    On a more substantive matter, I will say that I recently came across a photo of the Kaspersky development team. I'm sure that many here have seen the same photo. There was red writing on it with the names of the various people and it was celebrating the lates release of KIS 2006. My concern regarding Kaspersky is the size of their development team. How can Kaspersky compete with mega giants like Symantec, especially when you consider the amount of resources at their disposal. I am currently a Norton user (I admit I'm considering making the switch to KAV), but I'm skeptical that a small company like Kaspersky can really compete with Symantec. I know that Kaspersky's support has to be better than Symantec's, but I'm more concerned with having the best anti-virus software with the goal being that I won't need support.

16. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

If you base an opinion on what you can read here at Wilders it seems Kaspersky is already a better AV than most.

The number of people in the dev.dept of Norton or Kaspersky I dont know much about and I dont find it to be important information.

What the Symantec marketing dept have done over the years is interesting and very impressive, but that also do not say anything about which is the better AV.

A free German Rookie is Antivir.

If you need top notch surfing and e-mail security I recommend the russian Defensewall Sandbox-HIPS. Their developement department is extremly powerful and their tech support also. USD 29:- - once - no yearly updates.

Best Regards

17. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Thats a development team for Kaspersky product line 6, mainly anti-virus and security suite. Kaspersky Lab employs more people then what you have seen on that picture.

tD

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It appears to me after looking at various tests, and especially AV Comparatives, that KAV has consistently been one of the top AVs. Its detection rates are not surpassed by any AV as far as on-demand detection.

I do not know much about this stuff, and so won't argue the technical details. However, I can read results of tests, and KAV, NOD32, Bit Defender, McAfee, and Norton are consistently the top ones.

I used Norton for almost 5 years without any problems. It uninstalled without problems. I used BD for a little over a year, and it never let me down. I left it due to incompatibility problems that can be found in another thread.

I have just completed trialing NOD on one computer and it is still on my laptop. It is a totally satisfactory AV, and I would be happy with it. I am trialing KAV6 now, and with only 1 day it is also great. It is lighter as far as mem usage than even NOD on my machine.
    I don't know whether I will choose NOD or KAV. It depends on which runs better on my system. Other things being equal I will probably go with KAV due to its detection rates.

If one chooses any of the ones which have been recommended here he will have first class protection.
    Just the opinion of an average user. I just want results. I'll leave the technical arguments to others.

Best,
    Jerry

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The huge staffing at Microsoft gives ample evidence that lots & lots of manpower will always produce the highest quality products. NOT!:cool:

20. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I concur.

Dave

21. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I never said "that lots & lots of manpower will always product the highest quality products." Rather suggested that lots & lots of resources tends to allow for the production of superior products in general.

With all of the knock that Microsoft is given in these forums, it seems that people forget what computers were like before Microsoft. Of course all of the changes are not attributable solely to Microsoft, as hardware improvements should be given credit. However, it seems the trend in forums is to bash the industry leaders in favor of the little guy. For example, people hear a lot of horror stories about problems with Symantec, However, do not forget that when a company owns the majority of the market you are more likely to come across stories of problems with that leader simply due to scale. I am not suggesting that either Symantec or Microsoft are perfect, by no means is that the case. Frankly, Symantec's customer support is attrocious. Microsoft has it's problems, no doubt, just as many larger organizations do. To say that Microsoft does not produce a very high quality product is to kid yourself. My main question is whether Kaspersky is really at the level of Norton, aside from all the bias, skewed reviews/tests, and animosity towards the industry leader?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  22. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Dallen, the foto you saw was of the core-team, meaning those that developed the ideas for the 6.0 platform, i can assure you the whole team is much bigger than that! Most of the person's in the picture are responsible for a certain module of 6.0, DVi is for example responsible for the mail subsystem, sobko for the proactive defense, grnic the project manager, etc etc.

23. TNT

TNT Registered Member

No, no, thank God, it's not at the level of Norton, it's better.

Besides, why do you think Kaspersky is such a small company, anyway? It's quite big, in fact.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree with most of it.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, i got NIS preinstalled on my PC for 3 months and used it for about one and a half month and I did not face any issues. No slowdown in my system as well. And when I uninstalled, it uninstalled happily.

I have no experience with the support. I have seen many people running Norton without any issues that I hear on forums, like unable to install/ uninstall, hanging the system etc. I think that might be due to the reason that people in the forums are ususally not like ordinary users( using mainly AV and windows firewall) and are mostly running many security appliances and that might be causing some conflicts and hence the reported issues( not in ur case of course as u told it was install on a clean system).

I have aslo used McAfee on desktop without any issues and I really liked that.
    However if I have to buy I will choose KAV or may be NOD, nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.