Which anonymizer ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Panpan69, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panpan69

Panpan69 Registered Member

Hi guys !

Soze for my poor english...

Well i'm an old TOR user but for a day it ask me to enter a password.
    The problem is that i never use one (option random password ON).
    And when i try to enter a new one it asked me same as before (like if mine is wrong)

Then i unstalled it and reinstalled it but nothing change.

My question is : there is another software which has the same aim as TOR (i already used jap but i'm not sastify about it).

I want to change it but i had many probs to find a good solution and as much possible FREE.

My needs are, modifying ip to be anonymous much as possible and with the less cpu ressources needed.

Thanks in advance.

Panpan

2. Panpan69

Well after multi rebooting Tor seems to work again nicely.

But my question is already active
    there is another software like TOR and maybe a bit more efficient ?

Thanks

3. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Low overhead consumption is boss for SSH connections. When you aren't using it, the pipe is deflated. If you're looking for free fast SSH connections, I don't know of any. Some other free networks out there you may want to try are I2P / Psiphon.

4. Panpan69

Hi and thanks for the answer...

i tried I2p in french version but it was in a not stable version its why i tried TOR.

1) Between TOR and I2P which one is better ? (fast, anonymous...)

2) My aim is to be anonymous on the net what can you advice me ? i don't know many things on SSH tunelling...

Panpan

5. SteveTX

Do you only need it for web browsing? Are you located in France? That tells us more about the risks you are under if we know the country.

Naturally i'm going to tell you to try xB Browser for that usage of Tor, but I might be able to make some other suggestions depending on your specific needs. But of course, the fastest service you are going to get is from xerobank. We can probably hook you up with a free extended trial, and it's lightspeed faster than Tor.

6. Panpan69

Hi.

My main needs are, Net browsing and a bit of dling. For example utorrent on proxy services.

You right about the country. I come from France

Actually i'm using firefox + Tor + no script plugin, for utorrent only the proxy on HTTP and in general i use a peerguardian just to hold some not alllowed IP.

But i'm a bit paranoiac its why i want the most efficient anonymizer system.

Thx in advance.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  7. SteveTX

Here are my thoughts on this.

Trying to do torrents with tor or other free anonymity networks is like trying to drink the ocean through a straw. There just isn't enough bandwidth resources to go around, unless you're willing to live with 5 - 15kbytes/s. So I suggest either enforcing encryption on your torrent client to limit the snooping ability to the person with whom you are sharing your files, or getting a cheap SSH proxy and running PuTTY with a local SOCKS proxy to tunnel the SSH for you. Avoid all HTTP, PPTP, and non-IPSEC L2TP proxies like the plague.

For surfing, definitely download xB Browser, that should work very well for you, much better than Tor + NoScript alone.

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Panpan69,

Are you using Vidalia with Tor? Then check that you have the latest version of Vidalia (or at least 0.0.14) since Tor 0.1.2.16 tightened the security of its Control Port, causing previous versions of Vidalia to fail authentication.

I would second Steve's comments about not using Tor for any filesharing traffic (or large downloads). If you really need anonymity for these (consider first, who you want to protect yourself from - your ISP, your government or media industry monitoring) you will need to consider a commercial service.

9. Panpan69

Hi and thx for you answers...

I tried to use xb browser but afte risntalled i can't run it. i have the pop-up screen and after all disapear...

A bit strange.

I'm ok to replace Tor with another program. Can you tell me which one can replace Tor on my use ?

thanks ;)

P.S: Paranoid2000 > Yes i use the latest version of TOR and i 'd like to protect me from everything :p (as possible)

P.S 2 : What do you think about Steganos Internet anonym ? is it the kind of program i have to use ?

10. Paranoid2000

Are you using Vidalia to run Tor? (this is important). If so and you are not running a Tor server, then try deleting the Vidalia and Tor Application Data folders (assuming you are using Windows these will most likely be C:\Documents and Settings\your Windows username\Application Data\Tor and ...\Vidalia - if you are running another OS please say which). This should cause Vidalia and Tor to recreate default configurations - note that you will need to re-do any changes you made in Vidalia/Tor after doing this.
    Any anonymity provider using a single SSL or SSH connection (Steganos included) can monitor your traffic just like your ISP could. So what you end up with is swapping your ISP with the VPN provider in terms of monitoring your activity - the question then is do you feel you can "trust" Steganos any more than your own ISP? (as they note here, they do log your access).

With Tor, users don't have to trust any of the node operators (indeed it is better not to) since it would require at least three nodes to co-operate in order to track a user and there is no payment trail that could be followed (always something to consider with commercial services). However you still need to protect your system from malicious webpages and the possibility that a rogue Tor exit node operator may add malicious code to normal sites, or capture any private data you send to non-https: webpages.

11. Panpan69

Hi,

Well i use vidalia 0.0.16 + TOR 0.1.2.19 + QT 4.3.2 on XP.

I didn"t understand you on the second part...

Sorry but my english is a bit poor.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  12. Paranoid2000

Then you should have the folders mentioned above (though the name may differ on a French version of XP). Try shutting down Vidalia/Tor and then renaming the folders (to something like Tor-Old and Vidalia-Old). When you restart Vidalia/Tor, new folders should be created with a new configuration - if this doesn't work, you still have the original files.
    Steganos does not provide maximum anonymity - Steganos themselves can look at what you are doing, just as your ISP could if you did not use any anonymity.

13. Panpan69

Hi,

Sorry again paranoid2000, I understand how to rename the folder but i didn't understand why i have to rename it.
    My tor works well acctually.

Ok for steganos :)

If i understand you all, I have to :
    - Replace firefox > xb browser
    - Replace TOR + privoxy > Putty + SSH server

Am i right ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  14. Paranoid2000

Renaming was a suggestion to make Tor think it had to create a new folder. If Tor was working (you did say you had problems?) then there is no need to do anything - if renaming fixed the problem, then just delete the renamed folders (they are no longer needed).
    If you are happy with Tor, keep it. If you want a faster, commercial service instead then XeroBank is likely the best option - download the XB browser as Steve (XeroBank) has suggested above.

PuTTY/SSH are options to consider if you want a separate connection for P2P only but you will need access to a server for this (and the ISP there will be able to monitor traffic). Bear in mind that while this can hide the contents of P2P traffic from your own ISP (the encryption option offered by many BitTorrent clients will do this just as well), it won't prevent others from seeing if you are sharing copyrighted content (the only bullet-proof option here is Freenet and that has speed problems too).

15. Panpan69

Hi,

Many thanks i uderstand you well.

My probs with Tor was just a crash... after rebooting my computer all worked well...

Actually Tor is the easiest way for me but i keep in mind what you told me both.

Maybe later i will try a commercial service.

I'm gonna see on torrent encryption too.. Thanks for all

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.