Where to post for software comfort talk?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Agrajag, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agrajag

Agrajag Registered Member

I currently own ESET's NOD32 which I've used and recommended for years. It's done its job reliably for years. I also own Counterspy.

I've recently been wondering what others view of that combo would be as far as a complete coverage solution.

NOD32 seems to work great. My biggest gripe is that is gets updated to new major versions and I've had to trip over this on my own. Going from 1 to 2 to 3 and now 4 have all required me to find these on their site. No e-mail from them. No update notification. Nothing. That's annoying but not fatal.

Counterspy seems to work but I just don't really like it's interface much. It keeps bubble texting in the tray which I find annoying (with no apparent way to disable) and every night it creates a second try icon for scan results that tell me it did nothing. Duh.

My biggest thought is if I drop one of the other for the competing product from the other or for something entirely different.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

As a rule, it's better to start by reading existing threads about the specific products you are running, in order to get a feel for what people think about them, and how the products are currently doing capability-wise. Reply to one of those threads if something is particularly interesting or concerning for you.

For anti-virus software, there are a great many "anti-virus test/review" threads in the "other anti-virus software" section. Most of the popular products are covered by those tests or reviews.

To figure out what you should run if you are going to make a change, you should read about the competing products in the current threads in "other anti-virus software" and "other anti-malware software". Those two sections are among our most active, and there are a lot of current threads on virtually every AV or AM product available today.

For direct questions about products, be aware that we prefer for people to ask specific questions about a single product rather than asking open ended questions like "which product is better?" or "which product should I use?" (See this policy link about such threads.)

As to what you should run, some people will tell you to drop the two products you have for others, while other people will say those are fine and that they work great for them. Basically, you will get opposite answers to almost any question about what products to use. Since no one can tell you what would be best for you, the best recommendation is to run a few different trials/evals (one at a time, of course) for yourself to see what product you prefer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.