When will individuals pay for security?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Oooh, a blame the customer article because people are too cheap to pay extra money to avoid getting the malware preinstalled that they did not know they were getting. It is not the fault of consumers if Lenovo does not know how to profitably market what they sell. How many extra pennies per machine do they get for selling us out? Raise the price a buck and be done with it.

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Consumers will start to take security seriously, its part of the evolution. I've installed ASUS w/Trend routers in the homes of several big executives. People want this stuff, they know with a 'connected' home they need to spend money on security or pay the price.

In this case, it's clearly the manufacturers fault. We use all Lenovo's here at work, and the first thing we do when they arrive? We remove ALL preinstalled applications/services, and set the machines on a clean footing. I wouldn't even think about not wiping a Lenovo knowing they are a Chinese firm. I do not trust anything from that 'region' with security, in fact I block that entire region from connecting to/from my network. Nevertheless, you can't blame the consumer that Lenovo sold them out.

4. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Wrong question. The correct one is, "Why should paying customers have to pay extra for decent security?"

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

1. First of all, we are not talking about free here. It is not a freemium model in which money is derived from in-app purchases or advertising.

When a customer purchase a product, therein lies your revenue from which you derive your profit.
    The money has been given so why is there a need to make extra change by adding in questionable stuffs?
    I have paid my fair share so give me what I am entitled to. If you don't think it's fair price, charge a higher price.

2. Do I have to pay in order to be secure from a threat that is non-existent in the 1st place, a threat that is introduced because someone decided it was good way to earn extra $$$? That's ~ Snipped as per TOS ~.

3. Talking about making payment, a transaction occurs when 2 parties agree that a product/service is worth paying for. It is a voluntary act in which the customer decides if he/she wants/needs the service. You can't force customers to take out money from their wallets.

4. I don't believe in security as a commodity. For those who do, they will pay for it. Once again, I have the right to choose whether I want to pay or not.

The answer to "when will individuals pay for security?" is this:

They will when corporations stop acting stupid.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Paying for protection. We all know the source of that business model.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.