when was the last time anyone found a real live virus ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Long View, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Wise Choice Prosecurity,

as I tried to explain in a post just above in this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1159786&postcount=168

Educating the user on how to figure out what they need to do instead of giving them a specific product name (although sometimes it is necessary).

Here is a small blip I usually give my clients: (excerpt from my web site)

" I would strongly recommend users take full control of their security, educate themselves, and consider a multi layered approach such as we describe here, and to not only once, but regularly research, re asses, and over haul their existing setup for optimal benefit."

2. ProSecurity

ProSecurity Registered Member

Well, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, isn't it?
    What is the point of having the best lock on your door if you are going to leave the door open because operating the lock is such a chore?

3. Hermescomputers

This is why there will always be the inferior but fully automated solution on the market as it caters fully to those who for some obscure reason insist on the path of least responsibility... or learning whichever comes first in your mind.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  4. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Hello

Viruses seem to be an endangered species here in Switzerland nowadays.
    You must be really diligent to get one. Seriously due to my prudence or call it paranoia I haven't encountered one in ten years. In addition my ISP scans my email attachments and deletes suspicious files as a precaution so I don't get tempted.:D

For non-computer-savvy users with a risky internet-surfing habit an AV would be appropriate but not for me.

Frank

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Viruses and especially malware are novelty for me, it's been that way for years. I capture their creations, modify them a bit by removing parts not needed and use them to automate various activities on my PC. So all they are doing is donating some useful code for me :D :D :D And save ne the time compiling scripts like i do for a hobby.

6. ProSecurity

Hello

I've only seen one in the last eight years(from my personal activities).
    This was about 9 months ago, found while still in a RAR file.
    That's why I stopped using realtime AV a few days ago.

7. ProSecurity

Now that you have discovered the Perfect Security strategy, what else is left?
    Isn't it a little boring, with no where left to go?

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Someday the threat landscape may change and you'll need to re assess your security setup to see if the principles behind it still hold true.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Based on the title of this thread, it only takes one, to wreck havoc in your life.:doubt:

10. lucas1985

Yes, the financial/personal consequences of being infected can be serious. OTOH, the infection is removed with a clean image, a very simple method.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

one that 98 percent of home computer users dont have or use.:shifty:

12. lucas1985

True, even when the advice of back up is given on every computer-related website or magazine.
    As I've said before, a security setup without user involvement is going to fall sooner or later. That involvement doesn't require a PhD on computers.

13. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Man, people like you really should stop being such hypocrites and enlist in the police force right now to help stop crime. Don't shirk your responsibility!

14. Hermescomputers

Nah... I'd probably end up as a traffic cop or guiding little old ladies to the nearest public washrooms! (Really scary career choice wouldn't it?) Besides the pay sucks!

On the other hand being a paid armed guard with a Police badge guarding dangerous "uncovered man holes" on Toronto roads doesn't sound too bad... Mmmmh...nah...

Besides poking fun, You need to be cut for this type of work, also I'm rather allergic to bullets, they give me these little zits called goose bumps just to think of it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

as topic:

today o_O

luckily enough, my drweb and SpiderGuard stopped it during realtime protection.

3 instances:

infected with VBS.PackFor.2

all the same malware, and from the same website.

16. Hermescomputers

SLAP!!! o_O ... heres another one in the face of those that believe you don't need security protections... :)
    That one must've stung!

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive never said, no protection.

av is sufficient enough, and this is true to this case.

i noticed no infection, as it was dealt with in Real Time.

18. Hermescomputers

Perhaps.... but maybe you are just lucky your anti virus actually already new the infection in question in it's little database.

What about those who happen to be infected with bugs "not" included in said database yet?

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hello Hermes,

its a matter of using a good antivirus, and importantly, an up-to-date one, that offers a real-time protection instead of junk files that nobody will ever recieve, usually to make up the numbers.

some AV's think awards look good on their CV, no matter how tripe i think they are ;)

its the difference between an official forum full of 'i am infected' or 'cant remove this' vs 'i am protected' or 'X stopped this thread today'

you can find alot of info by searching the official forums, to see what trouble people get into.

----
    also, as ive told you... i dont need prevx, but use it simply because i like it very much ;)

i know it adds extra protection, but i like it mainly because it tells me what each software is doing/trying to do, gives me a little more control, without me using a software firewall.

20. Hermescomputers

Sure...
    However the real strength in any antivirus product is in the cooperation it receives and provides as they are reactive in nature an require constant fresh infection samples. They can also take time to integrate then distribute their new results within the user base.

I have seen a marked improvement in many product after the inception of sites like virustotal.com where some product used to lag behind (no names).

Cooperation of this sort however + ones own honey pots can only take you so far as none of these techniques deliver 100% 24/7/365.

21. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well thats true of any security program. The will never deliver protection against 100% of malware and exploits. Thats why wilders peeps love layers :D

22. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

my gateway is transparently forwarding http requests through clamav->snort->squid. :ninja:

last time i was infected with virus was that "junkie" boot sector virus. back in '96 or so? :ouch:

the clients i serve occasionally have viruses of diffirent kinds and sorts. mostly small innocent stuff propagating over IM

23. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Personally, I think a virualization engine2nd and firewall 1st is the most important, then the av/as. For example- Infected by a virus with comodo installed (defense+ on) hips blocks it, firewall gives it no internet connection, go to f-secure website and have a scan, disinfect, end of story. If you have just av, heuristic fails, you're on your own.

24. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

What do you having running on your gateway? Did you configure the forwarding manually or did it come preconfigured?

25. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Today, by an old mellisa virus which my m:D c:D a:D f:D e:D e:D had no problem catching it in realtime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.